50th Anniversary of "Day The Music Died"

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Annie
Global Moderator

50th Anniversary of "Day The Music Died"

Post by Annie »

From WOWT.com in Omaha:

Observances continued Saturday in Iowa to honor the upcoming 50th anniversary of the the February 2, 1959 plane crash that claimed the lives of rock 'n' roll legends Buddy Holly, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Ritchie Valens.

The trio performed in Clear Lake and then boarded a plane that soon crashed into a snowy cornfield. Holly was 22, Richardson 28 and Valens 17.

Thousands have streamed into Clear Lake, west of Mason City in northern Iowa, since last Wednesday. They've come to the Surf Ballroom for symposiums with the three musicians' relatives, concerts and a ceremony that will mark the ballroom as one of nine landmarks of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Re: 50th Anniversary of "Day The Music Died"

Post by John Neff »

I had forgotten that Ritchie Valens (Ricardo Valenzuela) was only 17 when he died, and that Buddy Holly was only 22.
My goodness, that's young...
Waylon Jennings, who was in Buddy Holly's 'Crickets' band, gave up his seat on the plane, and survived to have a great career. He never forgot how close he came to death that night.

I still have my 'Del-Fi' Records 45rpm in robin's egg blue of "La Bamba" and "Donna".
Dave and I cut the instrumental track years ago for a remake of "Donna" but we never finished it. I used the same guitar as on "Pretty Fifties", Rebekah's "No Stars", and the pool party music from MD. It was a haunting sounding track.

I remember waking up to the news that the three stars had died in a plane crash, and how bummed my older brothers were. I wasn't quite sure what dead meant yet. Now I know all too well.

The music did not die that day - despite what Don Mclean said.

The living carry it on, and we remember those who died through their work and their contributions to Rock 'N' Roll.

May it never die.
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: 50th Anniversary of "Day The Music Died"

Post by Annie »

Thanks John. What a story! I still think you should write a book about all your experiences. ;)
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.