Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Rainwater »

Ah alright, I probably missed it
I'll see you in the trees
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Ickles wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:42 pm That's Mr. C to you.
Omg no idea how I missed this

Gave me a belated chuckle :mrgreen:

BTW normally the Goldstein podcast gets uploaded around midnight in the UK where he's based. So around 14-16 hours from now we should get Frost's first interview in around a year (I think?).
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Quitting smoking is very hard. One can quit and still be addicted to nicotine gum years later. One can easily quit everything else - caffeine, meat, dairy, alcohol - but still find nicotine tough to kick. I may or may not know some of this from personal experience ;) or from others I know. Must be much harder in your 70's when you've been addicted for so many decades!

I finally broke my 7-year cycle of being stuck submitting the same series of fantasy novels (that came close with publishers and agents) and wrote two new novels late last summer, back to back, poured out of me. First drafts took 2 months each, and have been sending them out ever since plus continuing to edit. A few bites here and there and interest from a few agents/publishers but nothing yet, though one has generated more interest than the old ones - but mostly I'm just glad I broke the cycle and proved to myself I have more books in me! I'm lining up 2 more in my mind to write now. It's amazing how you can be blocked or focused on one project (in my case, a series of fantasy novels) then when you let go or at least put it on the back burner, all this other stuff rushes to the surface, ideas that before you had struggled to come up with are suddenly there!

All this to say - I wonder if Lynch and Frost have felt the same with Twin Peaks. Maybe Lynch was clinging to it and to Laura, now Carrie, like I was clinging to the heroine in my fantasy novels (who bizarrely had the same surname as mine - couldn't believe that when I saw it in the Return!). He said the story was "calling to him" but maybe he then got a load of ideas for whatever UN/Wisteria is. If that hasn't panned out due to logistics (I stumbled on an article that said Netflix also cancelled a Cronenberg show? Really? If they cancelled Lynch and Cronenberg and it wasn't the artists themselves, that's pretty nuts.) then maybe new ideas for TP have floated back to the surface. That old idea of Carrie Page calling to him. Or perhaps UN/Wisteria was always TP all along or TP-adjacent. We've considered the same things over and over, I know, but I stil find myself pondering those same questions.

Regardless, I think if no news comes with these dates Dougie mentioned, things will go quiet again until the next trickle of info. If there is anything brewing, this would seem like the ideal time to announce it - but if they're not ready to, at least the ideal time for someone in the know who hears things to hint would be now. I'm not knocking the two posters who did post about it - but I'd rather someone I've either heard of or who has a history of posting this kind of stuff. Preferably someone in the TP fandom too.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Post by DougieJones »

I hope your writing goes well Jonah! Glad to hear an update on your work and I’m sure it will all turn out well. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with Lynch/Frost’s relationship with Twin Peaks. As soon as they did The Return they were reminded how much they love this world and it’s characters. Lynch rekindled his love for Laura Palmer and I’m sure in 2017/2018 they felt inklings to do more. However, it’s still a complete mystery as to whether or not Wisteria/UN is TP. I think during the pandemic it’s possible that when UN was shut down Lynch found new ideas for TP and could potentially incorporate it in a TP4 or even UN if it’s related to TP. Rebekah Del Rio when asked about Wisteria (specifically the word Wisteria) she said Rancho Rosa. So maybe the Netflix project wasn’t even Wisteria or Unrecorded Night. And it’s been Twin Peaks all along.

I think right now would be the perfect time for an announcement.
"Jade give two rides."
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Jonah wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:03 am Quitting smoking is very hard. One can quit and still be addicted to nicotine gum years later. One can easily quit everything else - caffeine, meat, dairy, alcohol - but still find nicotine tough to kick. I may or may not knwo some of this from personal experience ;) or from others I know. Must be much harder in your 70's when you've been addicted for an entire long lifetime!
I think the difficulty of it depends entirely on the individual. Probably a major genetic component to it. I believe your experience, but experience with this, like many other things, can differ radically from person to person.
Besides, Lynch hasn't been a smoker his entire life, exactly - he took a really long break once already, through like the 80s and 90s, without looking it up I'm pretty sure it was more than a decade, maybe closer to two.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Oh, I didn't know that. I assumed he'd been smoking since he was young. Regardless, it is still very difficult - and I can only imagine it's more difficult in your 70's. Even if he quit for a decade, what age did he start at? I say he's still been smoking a long time. He can definitely quit though. I just think it will be hard and maybe harder for him than some given his age, though then again if you say he already did it and the fact that he does TM - maybe those things will help. Found this quote from him from ten years ago: "I quit smoking in December. I'm really depressed about it. I love smoking, I love fire, I miss lighting cigarettes. I like the whole thing about it, to me it turns into the artist's life, and now people like Bloomberg have made animals out of smokers, and they think that if they stop smoking everyone will live forever." Maybe he's quit a few times. I wonder, though, if he's a lifelong smoker (with long gaps of quitting) that started young. Anyone know?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I think he did start young. I remember him talking about his early-adopted ideal of "the art life" as painting, drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes. Which pretty much sums up the way he started his career, after his self described life-changing realization in his teens or whatever, upon meeting his friend's dad and subsequent mentor, that you can actually be an artist, a painter, and survive off it and make it an entire lifestyle. So yeah, I think he did pick it up fairly early in life.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Alas, I think a lot of smokers did. Regardless, I've just heard it can be one of the toughest things to kick fully - even if you can quit things like caffeine or alcohol with relative ease. But as you said, I guess it also depends on the person, and no doubt there are people who could quit smoking perfectly fine but can't quit coffee or wine/beer, etc.

Also - thanks Dougie for the kind words about my writing! Bringing this back to S4, the cast is being very quiet this time around (at least thus far) on social media, a stark contrast to their previous hinting when something really did seem to be afoot! I wonder if they're just being cautious given that. As for the recent posters, if they've genuinely heard or seen something, I imagine it must be from within production - maybe just a whiff, nothing concrete. Let's see.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Guys, we should keep this up, and maybe we may talk season 4 into existence yet. :D
Histeria
Great Northern Member

Post by Histeria »

Highly doubt it's within production.

Those leaks will more likely come via those with close connections to the TP community or figures within the production. That's the type we've been getting throughout 2021. Think TP twitter accounts, podcasters, cast, crew, dugpa user, etc.

Before that, we got supposed leaks from places in the distribution, governance and wider industry sources because it was the time deals were allegedly being struck and paperwork being filed with the relevant organisations and authorities.

I said the other day that if the Scott Wrampler tweet is accurate, the source will almost certainly be further down the pipeline where they'd actually have an update for the first time since 2020. And that if it's accurate others should soon follow who claim the same despite no obvious connection to Lynch or TP.

Since then, we've had two such tweets. But neither of them are smoking guns. They're barely lukewarm. More needed.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Earle - Well, let's go back for a second to my theory - that this thread IS Season 4!

Or this great post by boske:
boske wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:48 am Yes, this is what Cooper has been doing all these years in the waiting room, he is merely reading this thread and waiting. And Laura shows up occasionally, and whispers what somebody has just tweeted.
Histeria - I thought from perhaps deep within production or those who handle/see production documents, but idk. Also, I think these leaks feel different to other ones so far, hence why I'd rather someone connected to TP/TP fandom (even tangentially) tweeted something out.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:34 am Oh, I didn't know that. I assumed he'd been smoking since he was young. Regardless, it is still very difficult - and I can only imagine it's more difficult in your 70's. Even if he quit for a decade, what age did he start at? I say he's still been smoking a long time. He can definitely quit though. I just think it will be hard and maybe harder for him than some given his age, though then again if you say he already did it and the fact that he does TM - maybe those things will help. Found this quote from him from ten years ago: "I quit smoking in December. I'm really depressed about it. I love smoking, I love fire, I miss lighting cigarettes. I like the whole thing about it, to me it turns into the artist's life, and now people like Bloomberg have made animals out of smokers, and they think that if they stop smoking everyone will live forever." Maybe he's quit a few times. I wonder, though, if he's a lifelong smoker (with long gaps of quitting) that started young. Anyone know?
I think he quit smoking around the time he started working on The Elephant Man. Then he resumed smoking around Lost Highway. So that's somewhere in the region of 15 years give or take a few.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I read in some interview that he first smoked when he was 5 years old
https://www.vice.com/en/article/4w4wgg/ ... -141-v16n9
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

I met him once in the 90's around Lost Highway, I was 19 or so, i asked him to sign something, and he said 'you mind if I smoke a cigarette first ?"

I remember he smoked in the 1997 Charlie Rose interview, not sure if the 1999 one he still did. Back in David Lynch dot com era 2000, he talked about trying
to quit in the chat rooms etc
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

That's cool! Don't leave us in suspense! Did he sign it when he was done? And what did you get signed?