Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by baxter »

I'm not getting the authentication email for some reason. How long should it take to come through?
DougieJones
RR Diner Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by DougieJones »

Im pretty positive Harley Peyton was actually talking about the article in question. The tweet he was replying to had an article from 2019. He might not be tuned into the new rumors and may just be commenting on it as old news, which would explain why Frost liked it as perhaps he’s involved.
"Jade give two rides."
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

baxter wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:02 am I'm not getting the authentication email for some reason. How long should it take to come through?
Some people seem not to be receiving the authentication emails. Best to contact Histeria so he can manually verify you.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DougieJones wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:11 am Im pretty positive Harley Peyton was actually talking about the article in question. The tweet he was replying to had an article from 2019. He might not be tuned into the new rumors and may just be commenting on it as old news, which would explain why Frost liked it as perhaps he’s involved.
The “three years” was definitely in reference to the date of the article. But his tweet was in direct response to a tweet from yesterday, linking the article. I think from the timing he pretty clearly knows about the new rumors.

A Lynch thing is happening. That seems abundantly clear at this point. We don’t know that it’s Peaks, and there is zero reason to think it is, beyond the fact that people WANT it to be Peaks. Harley Peyton also doesn’t know whether or not it’s Peaks (Mark Frost almost certainly knows one way or the other, but I don’t believe he could tell anyone, including Harley, truthfully right now even if he wanted to). Harley by his own admission has a lousy relationship with Lynch and a strong friendship with Mark. He’s conjecturing and speculating and being a little catty. Mark’s “like” doesn’t necessarily mean anything more than Mark endorsing his friend’s sentiment that Lynch is a bit of an attention whore/credit hog, from their shared perspective. None of this is indicative of anything, except the fact that Mark is feeling a little resentful of Lynch these days. Which has been openly the case in the past, and was strongly hinted at by Mark in the Bushman book. Discord in the Peaks inner circle certainly disappoints me and makes me sad, but I see nothing more to report or read into this than that.

Really, it could go either way. If this is a top secret Peaks project Mark begrudgingly acquiesced to FWWM-style, he couldn’t comment but might be bitter. But again, there is ZERO evidence that this is Peaks. If it’s a totally unrelated Lynch project, Mark obviously would know nothing, but could still be bitter about Lynch’s prior behavior. Either way, his liking of Harley’s tweet doesn’t hold much more info than him being a little salty toward Lynch these days.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

Something happened between Lynch and Frost during the shooting of TPTR. It has been stated that the Frost "I leaved the set to work in my novel" thing was a polite way of tell half of the story. I don't know the other half, although I think some people in this forum do. Because of that unresolved feud, I can't see how this Cannes flick could ben peaks related, but I hope I'm wrong.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Someone on reddit charitably suggested perhaps the Peyton tweet was meant to be jokey, not to be taken as snarky. I don't know about that but it was a nice suggestion all the same.

If this project is not a brand new one, I think if anything it's probably Peaks adjacent, not Peaks. FWWM was still a Peaks movie, though, so we know Lynch has moved forward once before without Frost (but presumably with his blessing?). We also know there was some sort of transfer on some documents of Frost's name (even if he's still involved). I forget the details. And we know Sabrina posted some photos of Frost. Perhaps that indicated there was some sort of truce or deal made for Lynch to proceed. None of us can know for sure what happened or what is happening, but Lynch doing a Peaks movie without Frost would not be a new thing (even much of The Return was Lynch directing it all and adding to the script they co-wrote together).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:56 am Someone on reddit charitably suggested perhaps the Peyton tweet was meant to be jokey, not to be taken as snarky. I don't know about that but it was a nice suggestion all the same.
I think it’s pretty clear from Brad’s book, as well as public comments by Harley during the period of TR, that while Harley certainly respects Lynch as an artist, he doesn’t much like him personally. I don’t see any reason to read his tweet as anything other than what it clearly says.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'd be inclined to agree - just giving him the benefit of the doubt or at least Frost's interpretation of his tweet (that he might have seen it as more jokey) but, yeah, it does seem pretty clear.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter and has said the same thing that Peyton in the Bushnam book, though with softer words. Something like: "Lynch has evolved as a less collaborative creative force with the past of time".
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Under the assumption that this is more TP (and it's likely not, it's probably a solo Lynch project), but those rumours Dougie heard of a two projects might explain a single-Lynch film that's TP followed by a Lynch-Frost series (hardly a Frost-only helmed series?). Maybe they came to some agreement or else this isn't TP but Lynch wanted to focus on this then may agree to do something with Frost after. Frost had stepped aside before, a few times - Episode 29, FWWM, and The Return (to an extent). So maybe they have some sort of agreement in place with Sabrina as go between; even if things are not friendly with them, they may still be cordial or businesslike. All speculation though.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hopper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:23 am Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter and has said the same thing that Peyton in the Bushnam book, though with softer words. Something like: "Lynch has evolved as a less collaborative creative force with the past of time".
Hmm. I don’t recall Mark ever referring to him becoming a less collaborative artist in the book. Do you have a page number? My recollection of the interviews was more Mark saying that David is still who he’s always been, and the person Mark has grown to accept—someone who just isn’t terribly interested in his collaborators’ other work (including Mark’s TP books) or in most filmmakers’ work (outside of Fellini/Truffaut/Hitchcock/Wilder).
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

Here it is.
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2022-04-12 a las 14.34.12.png
Captura de pantalla 2022-04-12 a las 14.34.12.png (825.74 KiB) Viewed 23256 times
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hmm. I don’t recall Mark ever referring to him becoming a less collaborative artist in the book. Do you have a page number? My recollection of the interviews was more Mark saying that David is still who he’s always been, and the person Mark has grown to accept—someone who just isn’t terribly interested in his collaborators’ other work (including Mark’s TP books) or in most filmmakers’ work (outside of Fellini/Truffaut/Hitchcock/Wilder).
Not to get sidetracked, but do you know where I can find any interviews where Lynch talks about Truffaut? I never knew he was a fan, and would be fascinated to hear more as I have been watching a bunch of his films recently.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hopper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:36 amHere it is.
Thanks!
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Hopper wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:23 am Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter and has said the same thing that Peyton in the Bushnam book, though with softer words. Something like: "Lynch has evolved as a less collaborative creative force with the past of time".
Unless there's more to it than meets the eye, I see nothing fundamentally wrong with that. We see it all the time with members of long-running bands going solo. There reaches a point where your own ideas become easier and more rewarding when they're allowed to come into fruition without the influence of outside forces. I understand that Twin peaks was certainly a collaborative effort in its conception, so that certainly requires some room for compromise from both sides; but like I said, I don't know the full story. The old adage "never meet your heroes" extends to social media for me personally, as there's something about the airing of laundry that doesn't sit well with me with regards to people I admire and look up to; Peyton included, which is why that screenshot irked me a little.

I think people certainly do attribute Peaks to Lynch much more than Frost (and the other writers/contributors) on account of him being an acclaimed, albeit somewhat niche, film director. Most people I know who have even heard of Lynch will most probably not even know who Mark Frost is, let alone Peyton. I don't mean that to be disrespectful, just an honest observation on my part.