Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Histeria
Great Northern Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Histeria »

Anyone else feel really put down by the tweet today? Knowing there are tensions is one thing, but being confronted so harshly with the fact they're still simmering so long after the last update is upsetting.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

mojo1976 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:10 am
Also, didn't Frost say somewhere that the whole Carrie Page, Richard and Linda thing was all Lynch's idea and he didn't like it or understand it. It just seems like, if that's the case, then Lynch can go tell their stories and be done with the Frost collaboration. He can veer off into something as dreamy as he wants.
I believe he’s said that the Carrie Page idea (i.e., the basic premise of Part 18) was conceived and scripted by him and Lynch together. It was just the idea of Richard and Linda (i.e., Dale and Diane suddenly having different names) that Lynch threw in on the fly, and Mark said he didn’t know what Lynch’s intention was.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

Post by enumbs »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Metamorphia wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:13 am Oh gosh. Weird typo/brain fart. I meant Tati, not Truffaut! That’s what I get for posting in the early morning.
Ah, that makes sense! I just bought a Blu Ray collection of his films as well, weirdly. Only seen Mr Hulot’s Holiday before, looking forward to properly diving in.
Ickles
RR Diner Member

Post by Ickles »

Maybe I'm jaded but I'm not really surprised or affected by stuff like that. I assume adults in the entertainment industry are going to have egos and tensions will arise, especially after working together for an extended period of time. I'm also, as I've said before, much more of a Lynch Guy than a Twin Peaks Guy so the inner workings/drama of the non-Lynch folks involved don't really bother me as I'm really mostly interested in Lynch's output.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Probably worth mentioning that there’s nothing of note in Lynch’s weather report today.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's just not that serious to me either. I've never read hostility in Frost since they reconnected years ago. I think they work differently but I don't see a ton of evidence of some massive rift again.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

There has been the odd bit of shade though. This quote from when he was promoting the final dossier stood out to me: “(It’s) bad form to bad-mouth your own work, especially when it's putting bread on your table, even if you weren't or didn't feel that you were particularly involved at the time. A lot of people worked very hard and did the best they could to make Season 2 – and it is what it is."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Not to dredge up the Lynch comments about Frost's books again but...

I really don't think a director distancing himself/herself from a tie-in novel is solely a 'Lynch' thing. To me, 'tie in' material is fun stuff fans like to eat up (I buy most of them myself), but should not be used as a guide to enjoying or understanding the movie. Tie in material usually is an outside writer, who puts their own spin on the material, adding in some things, taking out others. A different interpretation of the same story. The only difference in this case is that Frost also co-wrote the actual script.

But really he's acting the same as an outside writer in this case. He's got complete creative control to change things, add his own spin on things.

All Lynch is saying is the movie does and should stand alone.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

There's definitely been shade and some candid commentary. But I remember when Frost was really pissed back in the day, it's a world of difference IMO. (I also happen to agree with him about Season 2)

Sometimes people tend to run with a narrative that Frost was kicked off S3 unceremoniously and then washed his hands of it, but the facts don't bear that out. He was on set a lot from what I recall, and then he was an enthusiastic and regular contributor to press coverage, interviews, etc. throughout the entire season's run. These were interviews and press opportunities done during the airing on Showtime in 2017, not during production. He was very outspoken about the choices they made.

Frost and Peyton are close and Frost is supporting him - that I get. Harley Peyton did great work on TP as well as more recently (Channel Zero). Peyton doesn't have to be Lynch's friend for me to respect that.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think posters on this forum tend to put way more thought into “likes” on a tweet than the actual user who gave the “like” (and was probably half-paying attention while scrolling Twitter in line at Starbucks).

Again, classic way for the dugpa forum to go out. :lol:
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Whatever this is, I feel certain Michael Ontkean and Ray Wise is gonna be part of it.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I have zero confidence in Michael Ontkean being a part of it, but hope to be happily surprised.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

There was always something dubious about MO and RW's lack of appearances in the Return.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I am uncertain of many things, but quite certain Mike will not be in whatever this might or might not be.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I don't know but I imagine Michael Ontkean just didn't want to leave Hawaii in the end, but I think Ray Wise was willing to do more but when he showed up on set was given just two words "Find Laura". I know there were rumours about his health at the time but I think he was willing to do more and I believe he wasn't too happy about it and I don't blame him - bit of a slap in the face. Never seen an actor more underused in y life. They could have at least given him a few lines in that scene and another scene, rather than two words repeated. Even as a red room entity, he could have said a few more interesting things. There's a whole thread about this in The Return section (two actually, one about Ray's/Leland's role and one about Grace's/Sarah's, but he's mentioned in hers too).
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.