Re: Lynch interview at the Guardian

Post by Jerry Horne »

Nice! Everybody should read this one.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

I'm surprised they gave this journalist such a good gig. Not only did he put in a headline which was either intentionally deceptive or misinformed but about half of Lynch's quotes seem to have been taken from other interviews (such as Lynch's answer to why he's been married four times). Also, he makes pretty broad statements which he doesn't back up like when he says that Lost Highway has "few fans". He also says that Mulholland Drive "divided critics" when the reviews for it were generally favorable. Sorry if it sounds like I'm nitpicking, but I think anybody on this board could've written a better article.
conspirateur

Post by conspirateur »

I thought it was pretty good - especially the observation about Lynchian dialogue being in reality quite similar to Lynch dialogue. Quite a well verbalised point that I've been thinking about for some time.

To be fair to the author, too - its probably likely that an editor would have written the headline; I don't think this guy was deliberately trying to mislead people, especially as he quite clearly talks about film 'as a medium' in the article...

I got the print version yesterday, there are a couple of fantastic portrait shots of David - I swear he is becoming more iconic looking every time I see him!
kerplooey
Roadhouse Member

Post by kerplooey »

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the bit about Lynch being "done with films" might be more of an argumentative way to put it than a voluntary misquote.
When I read this bit:
Mulholland Drive ' an unparalleled triumph in my view ' was released in 2001; since then he's made some entertainingly loopy shorts and Inland Empire, a three-hour ode to impenetrability that was shot on digital video and struggled to find a distributor .
It seems to me the writer is trying to convey that Lynch has dropped films since 2001, singling INLAND EMPIRE out as an "ode to impenetrability" "on digital video", in other words, a piece of work that did not necessarily belong in a movie theater, and thus isn't really "a film".
This isn't the first time I've read something like this about INLAND; other critics have suggested that, while it was dealing with cinema as a subject, the piece itself may have more to do with experimental art like you'd find in a museum, than cinema.

So the writer's confusion between film, the medium, and film, the filmed piece of work may be influenced by the belief that Lynch's decision to drop the former implies a decision to move away from the latter, INLAND EMPIRE's "impenetrability" being a possible proof of that.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

yvanehtnioj1214 wrote:I'm surprised they gave this journalist such a good gig. Not only did he put in a headline which was either intentionally deceptive or misinformed but about half of Lynch's quotes seem to have been taken from other interviews (such as Lynch's answer to why he's been married four times).
I agree. Maybe I've just read too much about Lynch but there seemed to very little new here. It just seemed rehashed. And I realize that David has been giving the same answers to the same questions for some time, but how about someone asking different questions for a change? How about not letting him get away with the same pat answers. Oh well.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

Hope Lynch will create movies/TV in the future, that's the only thing I like about him.
Personally, I am not interested in his music, art or meditation.