Question about Josie Packard's story

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Shelly_Johnson

Question about Josie Packard's story

Post by Shelly_Johnson »

Can someone help me clear something up?

*spoiler warning...in case there is someone reading who hasn't seen season 2 yet...*

In season 2, It is revealed that Josie was the one who shot agent cooper, until now I never really gave this much thought, but it seams odd to me the explanation as to why she would do that. It was said that she shot him because she was afraid he would send her back to Hong Kong? I don't know that reasoning seams a little..."soft"

Josie was involved in several underhanded business deals, yet also she seamed to be portrayed as a victim of circumstance, this also seams odd to me. However I freely admit that Josie's character is one that I have never really understood. In one moment she seams confident, and strong, the next she is afraid and weak.

When she finds that Katherine has two ledgers, she is very afraid, and obviously she didn't know about the fact that there were two ledgers, but yet later we find out that she is going behind Katherine's back with Ben Horne to have her own business deal, was this something she chose to AFTER discovering the two ledgers? Or was this something she was planning before, and if so, why would the two ledgers bother her?

Also when she died they made it a point to say that her body only weighed 65 pounds and at the time of her death, cooper saw bob come and then he saw Josie's face was in the knob of the bedside tablewas she then taken by bob to the black lodge?

So many questions
Can someone help?
"I am hard to remember but impossiable to forget"
barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

Concerning your last question: Frank Silva (BOB) said that Josie appeared in the last scene in the Black Lodge, but as Joan Chen wasn't available, they only used a shadow of a stand-in, if I remember correctly.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

also, I believe her head in not visable -just the outfit (pajamas) she was wearing when she died -her head is sticking through the red curtains -reinforcing the idea that the lodge is not existing in a fixed place -her head is permanently faced forward in wood looking out towards the room of the great northern.
Juan Franela

Post by Juan Franela »

Josie is an odd one. In the thread discussing what was (or wasn't) to occur in the third season, I believe someone mentions that Josie had some sort of connection to Judy (mentioned in FWWM). Personally, I think the discrepancies in Josie's behavior fall in the same category as the dramatic shift in Donna's character in the second season and in Albert's character--the writers were simply winging it at times, and the second season suffers for it. Put simply, I don't think there're answers to your questions that will satisfy.

Also, the Josie in the drawer knob bit is just plain corny (or should I say "creamed corny"?). I have read that one of the writers/producers (Lynch himself?) saw some example of early CGI-type FX and said something to the effect of, "Let's put Josie's head in the drawer knob". Yeah, great idea!...not. All this is to say that I think that bit was done solely because of the novelty of the technology, not because it moved the story forward. And, you have to admit, it didn't. Even if Josie did--clearly--show up in the Black Lodge later on, the drawer knob bit would be hard to work past.

Maybe Sheriff Truman could loose it and fall in love with that end table and we'd find him in the 3rd season holed up in the Bookhouse with it.

Don't get me wrong. I love Twin Peaks.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present."
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Juan Franela wrote:Also, the Josie in the drawer knob bit is just plain corny (or should I say "creamed corny"?). I have read that one of the writers/producers (Lynch himself?) saw some example of early CGI-type FX and said something to the effect of, "Let's put Josie's head in the drawer knob". Yeah, great idea!...not.
Yes I agree the drawer knob is really corny. If you watch the Log Lady intro to that episode it actually kind of softens the corniness and makes it a bit more acceptable. I really like the idea of Josie being swallowed by the wood though, it fits in with the spirits inhabiting the forests of Twin Peaks. I just wish they found a better way to execute it.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

Audrey Horne wrote:also, I believe her head in not visable -just the outfit (pajamas) she was wearing when she died -her head is sticking through the red curtains -reinforcing the idea that the lodge is not existing in a fixed place -her head is permanently faced forward in wood looking out towards the room of the great northern.
Is this in Episode 29? I don't recall seing Josie at all in the Red room scenes....
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

I can't for the life of me see what's corny about Josie in the drawer knob. I remember the first time I saw that scene. I was about 11 years old and it scared the crap out of me. And gues what...it still does! :oops:

I read an analyse of this whole event once and it noted the connection between the Log Lady's husband - who died in a fire (forest fire?) - and then his spirit was trapped in the lodge. The same thing happened to Josie. She was trapped in wood too. As to an explanation WHY they are beeing trapped in things made of wood, I don't know.

What I DO know, though, is a scene in episode 27 where Audrey Horne is leaving her father alone in the office and he suddenly turns around as if he's seeing something behind him (on the wall?) before we cut to the next scene where Pete is standing in the lobby of the Great Northern Hotel, looking straight into the wall, saying: "Josie, I see your face".

Ooo...that creeps me out. I'm sorry, but after all these years and after watching Twin Peaks about 30-40 times, it's still the most scary thing I've ever seen. I laugh at everything else most people find scary. I guess they haven't seen Twin Peaks yet :twisted:
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

cubist wrote: Is this in Episode 29? I don't recall seing Josie at all in the Red room scenes....
No, it didn't make the final cut, but I believe Frank Silva confirmed this that they had a Josie standin (same clothes she died in) in the redroom -they didn't have Joan Chen available to film so used a standin -her body is seen but her head is sticking through the red curtains and not visable.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

The 3D drawer knob works OK for me, it's just the first part when Josie's face is superimposed on it that I find looks a bit off.
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

Josie's character is straight up terrible. I'm always so disappointed that she's the first character you see in the series.

It's amazing how believable the world of Twin Peaks is in the pilot and through episode 15 (but mostly the pilot and season 1) and how unbelievable it becomes in season 2.

There are times I long for a time machine so I could fix the series before it went bad. But alas.

-----

Also, how much better would Twin Peaks have been if they had thought the whole Blue Rose Case concept before the end of the series and worked it into the show? (i.e. it's implied in the movie that Cooper/Albert/Gordon are all part of a special FBI team that works on supernatural cases. not so on the series)
Shelly_Johnson

Post by Shelly_Johnson »

I still can't get over the fact that they had Josie be the one that shot agent cooper. Geeze, i mean even if they were in a wrighting pinch, there are a lot of others that would have made sence to shoot cooper, i can think of at least 2 off the top of my head, Leo Johnson, or Jock Renualt. At that point in the series they were both already "written off the show" basically, i mean Leo was still hanging in there but, Jock was already gone. Would have been really easy to discover some kind of evidence to link either of them to the crime. . . but i digress. . . .
"I am hard to remember but impossiable to forget"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I think I would replot the whole series right before or after Leland dies/discovered (of course borrowing some elements towards the end) but I would have the person who shot Cooper be .....Windom Earle. (I'd also redo that entire character -keep the terrific Kenneth Walsh)

I think Josie's best scene was the showdown with Ben. "Do not play games with me."
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?