New UK Special Edition DVD

Discussion of Mulholland Drive

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Lumberton

New UK Special Edition DVD

Post by Lumberton »

Anyone got a copy of this new release DVD?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mulholland-Driv ... 686&sr=8-1

The extras are basically the same as the French DVD, and the INLAND EMPIRE "preview" is just the UK trailer.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

When do we get it here in the US?
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

Hi, I got this last week, compared to my old copy,(which came in the triple bill set,) it is far better. It is to the standard of the Lost Highway special edition.

Special features are: Chapter selections approved by DL, The making of Mulholland Drive, Interviews with Lynch, Watts, Theroux, Harring, Sweeny and Badalamenti , Press conference at Cannes, Inland Empire preview, Trailer and a 23 page booklet, which contains an extract from Lynch on Lynch by Chris Rodley.

It comes with a clear plastic cover with a picture of Naomi Watts on it. When you put the cover on the digi pak, it eclipses the image of Laura Harring.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

I wanted to get a Blu-Ray DVD player. But if I wanted to obtain this SE I'd have to buy a region free player. Or maybe play it on my laptop. hmmm
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I got mine yesterday and for the price, I'm pretty pleased with it. I've seen a lot of the extras before, on French websites but its still nice to have them on DVD.
The slip case is really nice too. Ideally I would have liked a better IE preview, or more than one trailer, but nevermind.

I was surprised to see Chapter Stops! It seems someone bothered David so much for them that he eventually approved a few. I havnt looked at what stops they are yet, but i think itll be interesting.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

My first edition of MD has no chapter stops and I dont believe my version of Blue Velvet does either.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

snikgrif wrote:Hi, I got this last week, compared to my old copy,(which came in the triple bill set,) it is far better. It is to the standard of the Lost Highway special edition...
I currently own the 'Triple Bill' version myself, which has an aspect ratio of 1.77:1. Can you tell me if the new set is 1.85:1, as advertised?

I ask because these things are frequently miss-advertised, and I'll only buy the new set if there's any difference to the main feature.

Thanks in advance...
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

Red Room wrote: I currently own the 'Triple Bill' version myself, which has an aspect ratio of 1.77:1. Can you tell me if the new set is 1.85:1, as advertised?
Yes this has 1.85:1, but strangely so did my triple bill version, maybe because mine is a rental version and yours is a retail, who knows?
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

I looked on amazon.com and couldn't get it to come up. I might have to try to order off amazon.uk. Does anyone know if this set will be offered in the US?

Actually I might be more interested in a HD DVD or BluRay disk. I guess there's no word on when that will come out. I've checked out Blu Ray and MD would look amazing in that format especially with a high end Elite HDTV.
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
DarkGlobe

Post by DarkGlobe »

I expect it will come out in High Def DVD format at some point in the future. Followed about a year later by a HD special edition version.
In the past I've bought 3 different DVD versons of Blue Velvet and 5 of Lost Highway!
DarkGlobe

Post by DarkGlobe »

I just got the MD Special Edition. Interesting thing is that when watchingthe film, if I push the 'next chapter' button on my remote, my DVD player informs me that this operation is not allowed. So no skipping through it then. When you go to the Chapter Index, you are presented with a still of an MD interior -no text -you select an object in the room to pick a chapter and you've no idea which one it will be. Very cryptic. DL has mangaged to allow chapters in this release but subverted their usual function.
I love it.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

DarkGlobe wrote:I just got the MD Special Edition. Interesting thing is that when watchingthe film, if I push the 'next chapter' button on my remote, my DVD player informs me that this operation is not allowed. So no skipping through it then. When you go to the Chapter Index, you are presented with a still of an MD interior -no text -you select an object in the room to pick a chapter and you've no idea which one it will be. Very cryptic. DL has mangaged to allow chapters in this release but subverted their usual function.
I love it.
Me too. From your discription that is. I can't wait to get this in the US.
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Post by kelvah »

I found this video on YouTube that shows the dvd authoring of the new special edition.
have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGD137kKs74
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

Here are a few shots of dvd.

I can't say I'm overly positive about the odd not-quite-a-digipack case, but a plastic slipcase is always a nice treat :D

EDIT: Sorry, problem with the photos... will post tonight instead... :oops:
/Discjunkie