"World of David Lynch" updates

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Hello to all,

"The Black Lodge - A Web Homage to David Lynch" has changed its name and address, it's now :

World of David Lynch - http://lynch.batbad.com/

"World of David Lynch" is a much better description of what this site is about, and the address is easier to remember. My hit count compared to the time and work I put on this has been ridiculous so far.

Other changes have been made :

- The Jeffries scene has been changed.
It has much better pacing (some lines of dialogue were cut) and it has better media support. Music has been added to the Lodge Meeting scene, as well as another popup to the woodsman on the right (with an animation, the arm gesture).
To go further in this section, you first have to do like Cooper did : go from the hall to the surveillance room at the left, then back to the hall until Jeffries comes.

- BIG CHANGE : at last, the new Black Lodge is online.
The previous version had terrible images taken from VHS captures that I had picked from the web ; that one has crystal clear DVD quality images, as well as CD quality music. The only problem is, that new version asks SO MUCH WORK visually, the current version is totally barebone : so far, you only meet the Little Man from Another Place, you get out of the Lodge by taking the Ring, and this is it.

Here are pictures so you can see the difference :

I have BIG projects for that new Black Lodge, which is the only area of the site that will know some major changes in the future (I may add INLAND EMPIRE or short films parts, but won't change anything other than bug fixes). Many characters, scenes, creepy events, etc. are planned, but it asks so much work I'll add them one at a time.

Hopefully, the new name and address will make the site a bit more popular, right now it's pretty much unknown and it's depressing. Stay tuned.

Thanks for your interest. If you were so kind as to link my website on your site or blog, I'd really appreciate you update the link and the name of the site. Thanks.

E. Papillon
Last edited by Simbabbad on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Re: "World of David Lynch" updates

Post by Simbabbad »

... just wanted to thank very, very, very much the Dugpa team (or webmaster) for making my new site name/URL a top story in the Dugpa site. I couldn't believe yesterday's statistics.

This is EXTREMELY encouraging for me, THANKS :D !
jrandy

Post by jrandy »

Very beautiful work, thanks.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Simbabbad wrote:... just wanted to thank very, very, very much the Dugpa team (or webmaster) for making my new site name/URL a top story in the Dugpa site. I couldn't believe yesterday's statistics.

This is EXTREMELY encouraging for me, THANKS :D !
Glad I could help out. You site is amazing!

-B
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Hi,

"World of David Lynch" has been updated today !

- Some problem with Firefox has been solved, Firefox previously displayed map links, breaking immersion. Now clicked area links are invisible, as they should, which makes Firefox currently the best browser to explore the site.

- The new Black Lodge has been much improved with more content : you can now talk to Cooper (and old Cooper) and Laura (with every animated gesture she makes), and more dialogue and events in general. It's much more entertaining, but the only way out is still taking the Little Man's Ring.

The Black Lodge.

More content should be on the way. I have many events, more room angles, lighting (stroboscope), dialogues and characters planned, but it's a lot of work and decisions to make.

I hope you'll all like the update.

E. Papillon
Last edited by Simbabbad on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Simply an amazing site. Thanks for sharing.
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Thanks a lot, moviemaker !

"World of David Lynch" has been updated today !

All the updates are in the Black Lodge :

- I've added the "Fire Walk with Me" effect there was in the previous version of the Lodge (with better sound and better everything). The "Fire Walk with Me" effect is when a character you meet says "Fire Walk with Me" and everything turns darker in tone (like in the last episode), and events change.

- After the "Fire Walk with Me" effect, the Lodge is pretty simple right now but I've already added the Red Room under stroboscopic lights. It's been very, very hard to do because I had to "complete" the zigzag floor for each different lighting and code the stroboscopic effect just right. You can see the room after wandering and a character says "Fire Walk with Me". Talk to people by clicking on them.

Tons of content is to come but it's all long and difficult. I'll keep you updated.

Meanwhile, if you have a personal site, I'd be thankful if you linked to the site if you like it. The site is pretty much invisible on Google since it's mostly based on visuals, and only links can change that. Right now most visitors come from Dugpa, which was kind enough to link to me, and a handful other sites. But to give you an idea, statistics tell me that more Russians visit the site than Americans, thanks to a Russian site linking to me.

E. Papillon
Last edited by Simbabbad on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Hello,

World of David Lynch has been updated! The Black Lodge/Red Room is finished!

Everything I wanted to do with the Red Room has finally been done after all these years. Compared to the previous announced update, here is what changed:

- You can now meet Jimmy Scott actually singing "The Sycamore Trees".

- A new angle of the Red Room has been added, the "from afar" angle. In this angle, many things can happen:
  • You can meet Maddy.
  • The room can be under stroboscopic lights. Doppleganger Cooper can appear there.
  • The room (under stroboscopic lights or not) can have furniture or not.
  • You can actually steal the Garmonbozia from the Red Room. If you do so, characters will react differently to you. You have two ways to give it back.
  • You can meat the doppleganger Little Man from Another Place there.
  • BOB can appear and take you out of the room. With Mike and taking the Ring from the Little Man, he's one of the few ways out of the Lodge.
A few other details have been changed, but they're not too important, it's mostly event balance so things flow more naturally and the scene stays interesting.

This update, as said, closes what I wanted to do with the Red Room. Now all I want to do before finishing the site altogether is to add a "Rabbits" entry section.

I hope you have fun with the site.

E. Papillon
Simbabbad
Roadhouse Member

Post by Simbabbad »

Hello,

World of David Lynch has been updated, and is actually FINISHED!

The final addition, a random "Rabbits" episode generator, closes the site started 13 years ago, the 12th of November, 1998.

The generator is reachable through the Madison living room. Using the TV and its buttons, you can choose the "Rabbits" channel, see its title, and then reach the episode by clicking on the title.

The animation itself randomly generates a short "Rabbits" episode, picking between nearly all the dialogue of all the series (80 lines of dialogue), and following the "Rabbits" rules: the dialogue must not directly make sense, the laughing track starts at random moments, etc.

Events can actually happen randomly too, and the mini episode can end in two ways.

I hope you'll enjoy this "Rabbits" homage and you enjoyed the site, and will have fun visiting it once in a while in the future. Now that David Lynch's career as a director seems over and I'm done with the site, the only updates that may occur are more movie reviews in the Extras, or technical fixing, if any norm or browser changes and the site needs to be altered to work properly.

Thanks to the people who participated in this thread and/or visited the site. I must say the traffic of the site is pretty pathetic at this point, and makes me glad I'm done with it. If you want to support it and raise interest toward it, you can like the Facebook page devoted to it. Any update that may occur after this point will be posted on this page only. Information about some little known parts of the site and explanations on how some of those parts work, and the choices I've made, will also be posted on it in the future.

E. Papillon
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Wonderfull and very well done website! Thank you for this trip. Love it!
A french little guy named : Dam.