Just Saw INLAND EMPIRE...

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Just Saw INLAND EMPIRE...

Post by Annie »

OK, I just got back from seeing INLAND EMPIRE. I agree with many others that this will take quite a while and more viewings to digest. I really liked it, especially the first half. That was the easy part. And I LOVE the dancing prostitutes!!! Laura Dern was absolutely wonderful! And the male lead actors didn't get as much screen presence. I didn't even notice the Digital Video effect. It looked like a great movie to me.

I really don't understand the second half at all, but maybe when I read other people's reviews, it will help me "get it." There were only 7 people in the theater when I went and everyone was totally silent. I think I was the only one who laughed at the funny parts. Only two of us sat through the credits, and I was surprised to see John Neff's name in them. (I thought he got left out of this one.) I really liked most of the music, and it was kind of humorous to hear David sing and play the lighting guy. And the coffee bean remark of David's was in the movie, "I'm just full of beans..." Too bad we didn't get samples of coffee.

That's all I'm going to say right now. I really felt like standing up and clapping at the end!!! It leaves town tomorrow, but I can't wait to see it again!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Hey Annie, I'm pleased that you finally got to see IE in a theatre...
Let's Rock

Post by Let's Rock »

Great flick!
Electricity!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I just found this link, and I think it's really helpful in understanding the movie, especially if you've only seen it once.

http://www.waggish.org/2006/12/28/david ... d-spoilers
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

Thanks Annie, I will bookmark this to read after I have seen IE.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

I saw it yesterday for the first time. I didn't like it. There were parts I liked, but overall it lacked any cohesiveness for me. That's not to say it's not well made or directed, but I don't know... didn't click with me.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I really think with all of DL's movies, especially IE, you HAVE to see it multiple times to really judge it. I was amused and confused. Can't wait for the DVD!
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Yeah but unlike his other movies I don't really want to watch it again.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Aw, that's too bad. I think it's a great movie! I look forward to watching it again and again.
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

I just recently saw it myself, & I loved it. I agree that the digital looked great. I felt that the digital added a more creepy layer to the film, & I absolutely loved the use of sound which isn't surprising since all of Lynch's films sound terrific.

To be honest, I was expecting to have been completely confused for the entire film, but I didn't find it as confusing as I expected. I certainly can't wait to see it again, & I intend on actually trying to understand a Lynch film by myself for once, as difficult as it might be, I'll give it a shot.
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Interpretation

Post by Pete Martell »

Recently, i watched the movie in a cinema in Prague.I was there on vacation and considering that i couldn't see it on the place i live...
I was completely stunned by everything:the visuals,the music,the acting.But it was the plot that made the difference.David wanted to say with this movie enjoy and do not try to understand.Perhaps that was a nightmare depicted in a movie inside INLAND EMPIRE and not just a simple remake of an old film.By this you couldn't tell the difference between reality and imagination.There was several symbolisms: the prostitutes,the Axxo sign that was a door to the labyrinth of Nikki's mind etc.But this movie was a complete celebration of everything DL dealed with during his career(you can tell this by the ending with the fireworks and the frenzy titles).
The eerie,dreamish sequences of Eraserhead,the female mentality depicted in Mulholland Drive and finally the actors in leading or supporting roles who often collaborate with David support this aspect.Finally,this doesn't mean that this story didn't exist:i think that this is the story of the black haired woman who appears on some scenes.The digital photography was mind-blowing!See it at cinema if you can,you won't regret it.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I saw the film in my local arts centre cinema and didn't like it. Left the cinema with a banging headache after dealing with almost three hours of low quality video images in a dark room. Then again, since it's a Lynch film, I'll have to pick up the DVD and watch it again a few times. Hopefully the DVD will be sourced from the original video stock, rather than the film print!

Lynch is one director I can give the benefit of the doubt to. Some wonderful scenes in the film, but need to assimilate the vast amounts of info thrown at the audience!

My views on Lynch films/TV that I've seen:

Eraserhead: Didn't like much, but interesting.
The Elephant Man: Loved it.
Dune: Loved it, mess of a film that it is.
Blue Velvet: Loved it.
Twin Peaks: Total adoration. My first experience of anything Lynch.
Wild at Heart: Liked it at the time. Like it less as time guys by.
Fire Walk With Me: Adore it.
Lost Highway: Brilliant.
Mulholland Drive: Started well, but after the Silencio scene, gets on my nerves. Must give it (yet another) try.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Video's fine! Sitting in a cinema watching DVCam up-rezzed and transferred to film stock that's done the art house circuit for a few weeks is torture! A decent-quality DVD sourced directly from the actual video master would likely be a lot more bearable!
LeoFaraon
Roadhouse Member

Post by LeoFaraon »

~