Absolutely disappointed and disgusted.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sunken_waltz

Absolutely disappointed and disgusted.

Post by sunken_waltz »

I have to say that I am completely disappointed and disgusted with this poor excuse for a DVD release.

We waited 6 years for THIS?

Sound problems, altered footage, poor authoring, and missing features.

I intend on blasting Paramount about this as soon as I locate their contact info.
EnableSecret
Roadhouse Member

Post by EnableSecret »

I waited all of those years and I'm happy with the result. Perhaps you need to have your dosage adjusted? :P
sunken_waltz

Post by sunken_waltz »

I wish it were that simple. So far the set is missing half of the Log Lady intros and one of the episodes' 5.1 sounds mixs is 'off'. If you are happy with that, it is you who needs your dosage checked ;)
EnableSecret
Roadhouse Member

Post by EnableSecret »

I keep increasing my intake, to no avail. :lol:

I just don't have the ambition to go through things with the level of detail that many of y'all do. :wink:

In the grand scheme of things, an errant boom mic or different framing on a sequence isn't even a blip on my radar. Just my tuppence, of course. :D
sunken_waltz

Post by sunken_waltz »

haha fair enough then...

all said and done though, it is definitely still grand to have all the season two episodes at last.

and i am actually anticipating a mega season 1&2 boxset closer to christmas with more features. at least that's the rumour...
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

is the scene change with bob/maddy such a big deal? i dont see the big reason to fuss.
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

The result of the change isn't bad at all, it's the fact that there is a change that bothers me. I don't want anything changed in this series. I just want the thing on DVD with perfect picture and sound quality and no alterations what-so-ever.

Is that too much to ask? I believe it's been done on 99% of all DVD releases already...

And the bonus features...I'm pretty happy with what's actually in there, but I need a helluva lot more. 50% of the log lady intros missing? That's just lousy work from Paramount. I haven't been waiting six years for someone to do lousy work, I can tell you that!
Juan Franela

Post by Juan Franela »

The Log Lady intros weren't part of the original series, and, personally, I don't like them and prefer to skip them. I'd prefer they were extras rather than tacked onto the front. I miss the "Previously on Twin Peaks" much, much more.
"Every day, once a day, give yourself a present."
scoopsie

Post by scoopsie »

I must agree with the OP. I can't believe that all us die-hard fans waited and waited for a half-assed attempt at a "decent" release of season 2. Please let me know when you find contact info for Paramount. I would like to let them know what a poor job I think they did. I also think that it wouldn't have killed them to let us know that they are planning on releasing the complete show with an estimated arival date. I'm sick to death of not being informed of things like this. You can get the next season of any show on TV now 2-3 months after the latest season is over, but you can't get a decent transfer of a show that is 16 years old.

I am greatful to have season 2, period. It beats watching 10 year old + tapes. The quality was stepped up slightly but not enough to justify the outrageous list price. The extras are decent. Nothing like what we got with season 1, but at least it's something. I wish that Paramount would take some pride in their work and have done even quality throughout the entire project. The Log Lady intros are just piss poor. Poor planing, poor execution, poor everything.

I'm entirely disapointed with the release and i look forward to the complete mystery set. i'm hoping that it will include both versions of the pilot. If someone could find that out and post it....that would be great! Overall, i'm glad to have the second season on DVD...i just wish it would have been thought out a little better. I mean it took them 6 years to get it out. You would think that the quality would have been better.
"They've got a cherry pie there that'll kill ya."
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Reality of the matter is that from what I've been told, 95% of the time it took between Season 1 and Season 2 was in legal. Only 5% was actually spent putting the box set together and completing the transfers.

I know they are spending more time with the new set, but I am not honestly expecting much more other than the Pilot and some new interviews.

They have a chance to really make the new set special, but from what I have been told, the new set will not have the original sound or any Deleted Scenes.

So really, the Pilot is the only real reason to pick up the new set if you own the current Season 1 and 2 sets. So far, there is no tindication that it will be offered seperately.

:P
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey B-

You mentioned the new set will not have the original sound; what do you mean by that?

Also, any clues as to what it will cost?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I think he means the set will not include the original stereo mixes, just the 5.1 mixes (Which is how the Season 2 set is presented. The Season 1 set had Dolby 5.1, DTS 5.1 and the original broadcast stereo).
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

I feel your pain when it comes to the tech part of things. I can get all the Log Lady Intros though. I liked the interviews at the end of the last disk. There were more there than I would have thought.

Comparing this disk to say Angel Season 5, I would have to say TP season 2 is on par with what is offered with other TV shows. In fact, there were more interviews with TP actors and directors (among other creative talent) than there were Angel folks. And on other DVDs for TV shows they also squeeze 4 eps (3 if the disk is bonus heavy) on a disk.

I didn't see the boom mike. As for altered scenes since I don't remember the original broadcast that well, I didn't notice the changes. If it doesn't change the story and it's a change DL wanted, what do I care?
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

sunken_waltz wrote: So far the set is missing half of the Log Lady intros
Which Log Lady intros are missing? I think all the episodes on my set have them.
sunken_waltz

Post by sunken_waltz »

The Part 1 boxset is missing the log lady intros.