Problems with Lime Green Set

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Diane
RR Diner Member

Problems with Lime Green Set

Post by Diane »

Okay....so I finally got the Lime Green Set from Amazon....

And Blue Velvet won't load in my player. I have a Philips DVP 5140. It makes a horrible vibrating sound like the player is about to explode. On top of that, the plastic case is cracked.

So I returned it for another set. This case is cracked too, although not as bad. And Blue Velvet has the same problem. It works only sometimes. Most of the time I get the horrible vibrating sound.

Has anyone else had this vibrating problem? If not with this disc, with any other disc of any other movie? I'm thinking it's because the disc is unbalanced. Is there a way to fix this?

Is it just that my player is too sensitive?

Also, I'm kind of disappointed that the plastic is so flimsy that it breaks in shipping. Anyone else have the same experience with this?

Thanks.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Re: Problems with Lime Green Set

Post by Diane »

I might add that I have never had this problem before, and this is the only disc in the set that does it...I can even play the 2002 MGM Blue Velvet disc with no problem...

Any feedback would be appreciated.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

The plastic case on my set was pretty much pulverized upon arrival. The materials seem a little thin/not the best quality a shame for such an expensive set. I think the "Blue Velvet" disc is the only one i haven't seen yet(in this edition) I'll give it a spin and report back.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

I had the same problem, a terrible whirring sound that eventually culminated in a loud cracking noise. The DVD player also began to malfunction in other ways... I tried playing the disc in another player (an infernal circuitbeast called PS3.) This otherwise unruly mechanism was able to assist me in viewing the lime green set. However, during the interim, I was so frustrated in discovering that the player and disc seemed incompatible that I felt compelled to remove the outer casing of the DVD player and observe just what it was that could be making this awful noise. I believe that this is a combination of poor hardware, not super compatible authoring maybe, and maybe a lack of QA somewhere?

Mostly cheapo hardware in my case... try an infernal gaming console...

-mitchell

EDIT: p.s. can't condone overplaying or for that matter the general play of video games on any mentioned video game system(s) mentioned in above post, I DON'T like the video games, they used me, they used me to make sure their games didn't break, but I am like bob lazar now and they all shun me. I just watch movies and what not on those now.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

i love the set though
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Hmmm....No horrible cracking sound yet. I'm going to try the disc on my mom's player when I go for Thanksgiving. Glad to know I'm not alone (with both problems!)
davidchili

Post by davidchili »

I also had the cracking problem at first and fortunately the replacement was fine. But I still have a cracked TP golden box sitting on my shelf, which bring a pain in my heart every times I think of it. Hope they can use better packaging materials for whatever is coming out next.

BV disc works fine on my player though.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

The disc played in my mom's player but WITH the horrible vibrating sound....I don't know whether to order a third one from Amazon or order one from somewhere else...Could Amazon have gotten a bad batch?
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

I just returned it for a refund. Hopefully I'll get the money in time for Christmas...that was my present.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

In the meantime I ordered another one (not from Amazon). Hopefully third time is a charm.
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

So I got set # 3 in the mail, this time not from Amazon...and no cracked cases.

But this time two other discs in addition to BV didn't work. So I bought a new DVD player, a different brand, and the other two work but BV still doesn't.

I can't imagine that only a few people are having this problem. It has to be more widespread.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I wonder if they made a second pressing. The one I have works OK on all discs although my Blue Velvet disc was an older pressing as I got a promo version. I'll ask around to see if I can get any details.

-B
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Thanks, dugpa!
Diane
RR Diner Member

Post by Diane »

Now Eraserhead is giving me probs. (So far Elephant Man Extras is not acting up, but it was with the other player).

I've contacted ABSURDA on myspace. Is that really ABSURDA or just a fan site?

I want to find out if I can somehow get replacement discs. I think I deserve them!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Hey, Diane! Did you happen to see that Amazon stopped selling the set, saying there was an issue with the production?? I saw they put it back up. Looks like you can get your money back if your problem continues...

Oh, and welcome!!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.