Bad music in episode 7

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

garethw
RR Diner Member

Bad music in episode 7

Post by garethw »

Anyone notice how out-of-character the music is in episode 7?

The music that plays as Leo gets shot, and when Catherine and Shelley are in the drying shed as the fire starts are both really different to the rest of the TP score, and pretty cheesy and generic to boot. There may be other moments of musical cheesedom, but these are the only ones that ever really stood out.

Does anyone know if this is stock music, or if Angelo actually wrote it? Seems way, way beneath him.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Re: Bad music in episode 7

Post by Zachary »

I don't remember the music playing when Leo gets shot, but I've always kind of thought the music during the drying shed fire scene sounded like something that would play during a climactic moment on an episode of MacGyver. Pretty cheesy, and I too would be stunned if that were something that Angelo had created.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I can confirm that it indeed was a Badalamenti original.
Zachary
Roadhouse Member

Post by Zachary »

dugpa wrote:I can confirm that it indeed was a Badalamenti original.
Well, I'm no longer pining for a third volume of the Twin Peaks soundtrack. :)
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

Zachary wrote:
Well, to be fair, it's quite remarkable that in 25 hours or so of television, that's the only music that seems really out of character. It's a testament to Badalamenti's genius that this one oddity sticks out so obviously.

Thanks for the confirmation, Dugpa!
Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Post by Snogster707 »

garethw wrote:
Zachary wrote:
Well, to be fair, it's quite remarkable that in 25 hours or so of television, that's the only music that seems really out of character. It's a testament to Badalamenti's genius that this one oddity sticks out so obviously.

Thanks for the confirmation, Dugpa!
Indeed.

I just love the overall soundtrack, most especially when julee cruise performs. Both she and her band dovetail beautifully with angelo's score...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

To be fair though, I've always assumed the music during that scene is simply reflecting the rather conventional end of season series of cliffhangers that many television series went through (especially at that time) So, I'm wondering if there was a slight wink and a nod from Badalementi whilst composing that piece? I've heard the entire track and the first part can be heard again in the episode where the OEJ's security person confronts Coop/Truman just after rescuing Audrey. With the first season OOP for so long on CD, I hope we get a complete box set of music or at least a remastered version of the original soundtrack with a bonus CD of the remaining cues from season 1.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Billiam

Post by Billiam »

Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I would add to this already existing one.... I would say the lowest musical moment on Twin Peaks would have to be the Pine Weasel Riot, and to a lesser degree, the Big Dance Number at the Miss Twin Peaks Contest. :|

edit - 6-30-11 ---- oh my...Miss Twin Peaks Bundle available at davidlynch.com! :shock: :oops:

Still gonna buy it. :roll:
"I can't understand a word you're saying, you have a thing in your mouth!"
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Ah, that scene with Catherine and Shelly... One of the worst moments in the series for me and not only because of the (I agree) cheesy MacGyver-like music, but also because of details like the tiny well-placed axe, perfect if you want to cut ropes, but pretty much useless in such a huge sawmill; or the obvious stand-in for Piper Laurie, fake wig included... Not to mention the ohsodramatic closeup of Catherine's gun (Oh no! Leo is back! With a gun!), the fact that so much destruction is caused by a very small fire burst, Catherine's "I'm thinking" with huge flames behind her,... :roll:

Thankfully (and curiously) the next scene, Leland killing Jacques, is very well executed...
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

I can understand your points and I don't mean to argue that the axe wasn't a little bit out of place and so on... but without going into analysis this scene worls very well for me. As does all the episode, I can't find a single important flaw in it and the axe or the gun close-up are too little things to spoil anything. Gotta listen to the music once I'll be watching it again but I don't remember ever to mind it!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

By the way, I believe that music is used later in the series when Leo 'wakes up' and attacks Shelly and Bobby, isn't it? A much better scene and I don't remember the music bothering me...