Lynch's New Film Confirmed by Laura Harring

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Re: Lynch's New Film Confirmed by Laura Harring

Post by hopesfall »

As with most of the recent quotes from Lynch affiliates, i'll wait 'til something concrete surfaces.

Exciting prospect though.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I would have thought that if there's any grain of truth to it, that it won't be a straight-forward sequel. Interesting that he's in conversation with Laura Harring though. I wonder if he's also talking to Naomi Watts. My mind boggles!

But I won't get too excited until there's something far more concrete.
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

Like iar said, I've got no idea how there would be a straight sequel to this, I mean the end was fairly definitive wasn't it? Obviously there are directions that he could go and it'd be interesting to see what happened as it could use left over story ideas from the original planned series.
autohypnosis

Post by autohypnosis »

Nothing against Laura, but I'm very skeptical about the validity of this. Other than making FWWM after the TP series, Lynch has always put a distinct distance between his past and current projects.

Also, I might be a lone echo of dissent here, but I think it'd be a bad idea. MD is one of my absolute favorite films, by Lynch or anyone, and a sequel would almost surely dilute the power of the original rather than add to it. The way I see it, Lynch got an amazing second chance when he turned the failed pilot into such a great feature film. But it's an enigmatic sort of thing, and to try to revisit that world and those characters would be, well, cheap.

I just saw MD at the New Beverly Theatre in L.A. last week (the only time I've gotten to see it on the big screen), and having it so fresh in my mind, I just can't see where Lynch could (logically or illogically) continue the story. And, as I said before, I can't imagine he'd want to continue it.
iar
RR Diner Member

Post by iar »

I can't imagine Lynch wanting to do a sequel either, but if Laura Harring is right then I believe it will never be a straight forward sequel. Firstly, I don't think Lynch would want to do that. Secondly, I don't think he would ever want to detract from the original nor explain it in any way (we have all seen his reluctance to do so). Thirdly, you just know that "sequel" doesn't mean "sequel" in Lynch's head. It means "vaguely and abstractly related to MD, where some of the characters may or may not be related to the original characters." :shock:

That is my guess. I also strongly believe that it's one of Lynch's "embryonic" ideas that may never see the light or day, or may see it in a completely different context.

MD is my favourite film and if it were any other director, I would never want to see anything that resembled a sequel. However, if there's anyone I would trust to do this, it would be David Lynch.
Sugardrugged Fairy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sugardrugged Fairy »

Honey, you're a good kid, but what you're telling me is a load of horse puckey. Even though it comes from a good place.
There's a place i'd like to show you. Near the ocean. It's very secluded.
I think you'll understand me better if you come with me.
Tim12

Post by Tim12 »

It seems unlikely. The news I want to hear from Laura Harring regarding Mulholland Dr. is that she now realizes she was wrong to insist on that ugly censorious blur for the DVD, and that future home video releases will not have it.
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

Once again I'm with iar - it may be related in the same way Twin Peaks & Mulholland Drive are related - the same universe but a different thing. I mean we're not talking Sisterhood Of The Travelling Pants 2 here, this is Lynch. Like so many things Lynch it'll probably never happen. I'm still desperately hoping and praying we get to hear Axxon n one day but it'll never happen. The man has a lot of ideas in his head.
BrightLight

Post by BrightLight »

Personally I think this will be a sequel to Mulholland Dr. in the same way INLAND EMPIRE was a sequel to it. Both take place, and are named after different places in LA, and I would not be surprised if this was the third movie in a trilogy of sorts that carried these two similarities. I could be wrong obviously but I find it hard to imagine that there would be a Mulholland Dr. 2 coming out (granted if there was I can tell you I would go see if and as someone else said, since Lynch would be directing it, I bet it probably would be awesome). That is just what crossed my mind when reading that article.
autohypnosis

Post by autohypnosis »

BrightLight wrote:Personally I think this will be a sequel to Mulholland Dr. in the same way INLAND EMPIRE was a sequel to it. Both take place, and are named after different places in LA, and I would not be surprised if this was the third movie in a trilogy of sorts that carried these two similarities. I could be wrong obviously but I find it hard to imagine that there would be a Mulholland Dr. 2 coming out (granted if there was I can tell you I would go see if and as someone else said, since Lynch would be directing it, I bet it probably would be awesome). That is just what crossed my mind when reading that article.
I actually consider LH, MD and IE an unofficial trilogy of sorts. They all take place in parts of greater L.A. and involve the blurring of lines between realities/personalities.
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

I could be making up stories here but I'm fairly certain Lynch has gone on record at some point that they were intended to be part of a trilogy or series of films focusing on California. I'll be damned if I can remember where that came from though.
talent103

Post by talent103 »

I aint saying it wont happen but I just cant see how he could ever make a sequal that would live up to the original. It is one of my favorite all time movies. I Would LOVE to see another Twin Peaks movie.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I can now confirm that Harring did not claim that David Lynch was working on a "sequel" to Mulholland Dr.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

garethw wrote:I can now confirm that Harring did not claim that David Lynch was working on a "sequel" to Mulholland Dr.
Come on you've got to give us more than that. Who, what, when, where what is the source of this??