Deadly Premonition

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

jos4

Deadly Premonition

Post by jos4 »

Hey you all! :D
I was just browsing Dugpa and I suddenly realised there are no mentions to the recently released Xbox 360 Game, Deadly Premonition, that hit Europan shelves in October 2010.

For those of you who doesn't know what this is about, I'll sum it up for you in four words: Twin Peaks interactive epicness!!! :shock: :twisted: See it for yourselves:

Deadly Premonition is a low budget horror game, extremely inspired by Twin Peaks. You can find A LOT of references to Lynch's work, and still has got soul of its own.
The plot goes like this: You are Francis York Morgan...
... --just call him York, that's what everyone calls him--, an FBI agent who goes to this little town called Greenvale, in order to catch the killer of local teenage beauty Anna Graham.

The first twist comes in during the first minutes of gameplay: York's got a split personality disorder, and keeps talking to a person named Zach all the time, asking him for advice and speaking with him about films, music, and all kind of bizarre themes.
Actually, Zach is you, the player, and this player-character bound is what guides most of the narrative and character development throughout the game.

Doesn't that sound weird enough to your ears? Ok, I'll explain some characters to you, just as a teaser:
-Harry Stewart: A wheelchair-bounded old man who wears a gas mask and never speaks by himself. Instead, he's got an assistant who always speaks rhyming, saying all sort of misteryous stuff.
-Roaming Sigourney: An apparently dearanged old woman known as The Pot Lady. She carries a pot at all times.
-Keith Ingram: An old school rocker who likes to explain horror stories to FBI agents.
-The Ingram brothers: Two creepy twins --the guys who found the body.
-Brian the insomniac: A pale cemetery keeper, who speaks in a weird manner about the deceased girl.
-Polly Oxford: a slightly deaf hotel owner who enjoys having breakfast in a slightly long table:

-You've also got a picture of the Great Northern in your hotel room (!!!):

The game is a strange mix between old school survival horror and Shenmue style gameplay --you have to eat, sleep, change your clothes, buy items, investigate around town, spy its inhabitants, play dards, go fishing...

This is the quirkiest videogame I've ever played, and a great homage to Twin Peaks and its charm. :)
I strongly recomend it to all peakies, go play it already! :arrow: :twisted:

Here you have some screenshots of this rare gem:

forgiveness

Re: Deadly Premonition

Post by forgiveness »

Looks very interesting! I'm a nut for this kind of thing!
jos4

Post by jos4 »

forgiveness wrote:Looks very interesting! I'm a nut for this kind of thing!
If you are a peakie you really can't miss it! I bought it from GAME for just 29€! :shock:

Please tell me when you get it --if you do--, I wanna know what does another peakie like me think about the game!
I'm pretty sure you'll find it awesome! 8) 8)
forgiveness

Post by forgiveness »

jos4 wrote:
forgiveness wrote:Looks very interesting! I'm a nut for this kind of thing!
If you are a peakie you really can't miss it! I bought it from GAME for just 29€! :shock:

Please tell me when you get it --if you do--, I wanna know what does another peakie like me think about the game!
I'm pretty sure you'll find it awesome! 8) 8)
The moment I get it I'll let you know! :) It looks beyond cool!
Shax

Post by Shax »

I have played this game and I can tell you its the closest thing to a Twin Peaks video game I have seen. The game has some major flaws but it is quirky and fun. The game developers were without a doubt thinking about Twin Peaks when they made this game. The game is not that expensive if you're a fan of the show and have a 360 I recommend picking it up.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

Heh, "Richard Dunn".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwXMX_lBnhA

Looks a bit too Dreamcast for my liking.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

Deadly Premonition is actually the catalyst that led me to finding Twin Peaks. And for that I am infinitely grateful. Finding Twin Peaks has been ridiculously amazing and cathartic and I have not stopped obsessing over it since I found it really. So yeah, I recommend to check it out if you enjoy video games.
Beckster24

Post by Beckster24 »

Hi all I have a almost brand new copy on PS3 Red Seeds Profile, didn't really like it so would like to sell it wanting $35 USD for it, thanks
awjm

Post by awjm »

This was a genuinely great game. And it's so flawed! The programming is not strong but the creativity is quality.

When I first started playing it, I enjoyed it for it's similarity to Twin Peaks. But as the game progressed I started realising that the storyline was quite genius and the twist in it was something Lynch would be proud of and genuinely surprised me; quite mind bending.

With a bit of patience it's such a rewarding game and is very atmospheric.

Right, Zach?
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

I own a copy of it on my Steam account, really gotta sit down and play it some time (god, there's just so much to watch/read/play/listen to .. media can get overwhelming).

I'd kill for like a Telltale-made Twin Peaks adventure game. It'll never happen, but, I can dream.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I've been paying attention to the frequent mentions of this game. I just got it for $2.49 on Steam. This looks like a temporary offer. For that price, everyone should check it out!
euclid
Roadhouse Member

Post by euclid »

Just a heads-up, the game takes a while to get going, but if you can make it through the first 2-3 hours, you might just start to enjoy it.

By the last few chapters, I was totally hooked and it's definitely become one of my all time favourite video games.

That being said, it's one of the most poorly optimized PC games I've ever played.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
Last edited by euclid on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Yes it seems from Steam user reports that this is a very buggy game.

I installed it and it wouldn't run in full screen mode, then it randomly started doing it in future runs. It was really jerky til I rebooted, and then it works fine.

The combat system is "interesting".
euclid
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Deadly Premonition

Post by euclid »

baxter wrote:Yes it seems from Steam user reports that this is a very buggy game.

I installed it and it wouldn't run in full screen mode, then it randomly started doing it in future runs. It was really jerky til I rebooted, and then it works fine.

The combat system is "interesting".
Haha, "interesting" is generous...

You've got to learn to love how janky the combat sections are.. They're totally at odds with the rest of the game.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I'd much rather have good adventure elements and crappy combat than the other way round for sure. I remember there were combat elements in some Lucasarts games (e.g. Indiana Jones and the last crusade), and they were always rubbish!