Understated Elements of Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Shelly_Johnson

Understated Elements of Twin Peaks

Post by Shelly_Johnson »

Obviously the wrighting, the general story line, the characters, the town, are all very cool, and is a huge part of why i feel in love with ( and still am in love with ) Twin Peaks.

However...

The Humor in the show also, to me, is one of its most endureing qualities, and as i mentioned in a sepperate thread, one of my favorite moments in the series is when harry and cooper drink Petes fish-infested coffee. haha.

also, when they are at the diner later......harry says to Cooper
"man oh man, you must have the metabolism of a bumblebee"

one last little bit of TP humor i find golden...

when Lucy is looking through Dr. Lydeckers client files...
"No no, you dont undersand, it is alphabetical by the name of the pet"
we are gonna need more coffee....

was just wondering if anyone elce had something they loved about the show that they considered to be an "understated element" ?
"I am hard to remember but impossiable to forget"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

"You know there's a real bad accident out front ...it sounded like a bus or somethin'."

"I can't understand a word you're saying, you have a thing in your mouth."

two of my favorite moments where I laugh everytime.
Shelly_Johnson

Post by Shelly_Johnson »

HAHA!!

can't believe i forgot about the bus comment, that was good.

thanks !
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

The humor, among other things, was a pleasure to rediscover along with all the other elements of TP.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Don't forget Shelly's really understated moment of hilarity -in the early second season when she sits with Cooper and Truman and tells them she won't testify against her husband and then meekly adds -"he's my husband ...I love him." then Cooper ushers her out and wishes her happiness. Madchen plays it beautifully -she gives Shelly a dazed, "Huh, what?" I love that moment.
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

One scene I love is when Cooper summons James to give him Laura's necklace, acting as if he's sure James has it.

When James tells Cooper he found the necklace in a coconut, Cooper approaches him and slowly repeats "A coconut?" The way he says it makes me laugh each time.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The scene I'll always remember is the one in the RR Diner where Coop tells Annie the Penguin joke and Gordon is bellowing at Shelly that he can hear her. The performances, direction, editing and music made that a scene that, as a 16-year-old wannabe film student, I watched over and over again. Oh, and, because I loved Twin Peaks, at the age of 32 I am an editor in the TV business!
Shelly_Johnson

Post by Shelly_Johnson »

Gabriel,

Yes i loved it when Gorden and shelly were in the diner and he Gorden kept saying "I can hear you!" ( and i think he said something like ) "you have the voice of an angel! Say something again!" (then turning back to coop) with a large grin on his face, then askeing her to kiss him just as bobby walks in, whom at that point in the series hadent been treating shelly very nice....lol....the look on his face....classic, played well on everyones end.

and yeah, the joke cooper tells annie is classic, it is also very clear that neither cooper nor annie has much experience in love sence they both laugh at the joke, its almost like a private joke the two share, even Harry looks at coop with a "what - the -?" kind of look.

your correct, that was brilliantly directed and acted by all invloved.

thanks for the memory and laugh.
Shelly_Johnson

Post by Shelly_Johnson »

was watching some of season 1 today, and realized that Julie Cuze ( i think that is how you spell her last name ? ) was another understated element of the show. I mean...her singing was perfect for the mood of the show, kinda off beat, emotional, yet mellow....perfect...

something i consider a little odd tho, i can't listen to her music out side of the show, i dunno, it just looses something....she had a voice that was made for twin peaks i guess. haha
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

Shelly_Johnson wrote:was watching some of season 1 today, and realized that Julie Cuze ( i think that is how you spell her last name ? ) was another understated element of the show. I mean...her singing was perfect for the mood of the show, kinda off beat, emotional, yet mellow....perfect...

something i consider a little odd tho, i can't listen to her music out side of the show, i dunno, it just looses something....she had a voice that was made for twin peaks i guess. haha
Some of the songs don't work too well out of the show. I really like some of the songs from her "Voice of Love" album, like "Friends For Life" or "Best Friends" I think. But yeah she has an odd voice. She also has a bit of an ego, from an interview with her I read. The interviewer said something like, "what did you learn from Badalamenti and Lynch?" and her response was something along the lines of "oh you mean what did they learn from ME?" I kind of rolled my eyes, because ever since her last stint with Lynch she's faded into obscurity. I wonder if her ego's the cause of her not appearing on anymore Lynch movies.
grrlskout
Roadhouse Member

Post by grrlskout »

Gabriel wrote:The scene I'll always remember is the one in the RR Diner where Coop tells Annie the Penguin joke and Gordon is bellowing at Shelly that he can hear her. The performances, direction, editing and music made that a scene that, as a 16-year-old wannabe film student, I watched over and over again. Oh, and, because I loved Twin Peaks, at the age of 32 I am an editor in the TV business!
We have a lot in common, Gabriel! Twin Peaks made me wanna be a director as well in highschool. Now, at 31... I'm an Editor! LOL. And here my mother told me obsessing about Twin Peaks wouldn't get me anywhere....... LOL.