Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thread

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

Re: David Lynch.com Twin Peaks Music Official Thread

Post by TheArm »

TheArm wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:I cant download it correctly :( Will try again when I get back from work. :(((
I am also having a problem downloading it correctly. My computer keeps telling me that something is wrong with the archive file. Anyone else having any trouble?
Scratch that! Got it to work after all, but took several tries.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

See, this is why I personally prefer music from FWWM. Lovely as these themes are (especially Solo Rhodes), music from the series we got so far is mostly variations on the same old themes, while music from FWWM is entirely new and unexplored. That's why I always get more excited with FWWM music on TP Archive!

That being said, keeping my fingers crossed for "Dark Mood Woods" next week... :D
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I'm loving these Solo Rhodes versions. My god, I love that instrument. :D
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Post by Guy Quenneville »

New release from dl.com!!! "Love Theme (Alternate Version)" & "Love Theme (Solo Rhodes)"

This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm all about the baritone guitar punctuations. None of the soundtrack releases have ever quite had the right version, so I'm in heaven.

And I'm either psychic or DL.com actually does peruse this board to see what fans are talking about, hoping for...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Guy Quenneville wrote:New release from dl.com!!! "Love Theme (Alternate Version)" & "Love Theme (Solo Rhodes)"

This is exactly what I was hoping for. I'm all about the baritone guitar punctuations. None of the soundtrack releases have ever quite had the right version, so I'm in heaven.

And I'm either psychic or DL.com actually does peruse this board to see what fans are talking about, hoping for...
I thought this must have been the version you were thinking of.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

underthefan wrote:See, this is why I personally prefer music from FWWM. Lovely as these themes are (especially Solo Rhodes), music from the series we got so far is mostly variations on the same old themes, while music from FWWM is entirely new and unexplored. That's why I always get more excited with FWWM music on TP Archive!

That being said, keeping my fingers crossed for "Dark Mood Woods" next week... :D
There is a ton of new themes from the series that have never been released in any variation. They just haven't released any of it (yet?). Americana, Hank's Theme, John Justice Wheeler's Theme, the theme from Josie's final episode, anything Windom or Owl Cave related, etc.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote:There is a ton of new themes from the series that have never been released in any variation. They just haven't released any of it (yet?). Americana, Hank's Theme, John Justice Wheeler's Theme, the theme from Josie's final episode, anything Windom or Owl Cave related, etc.
I could be totally, totally wrong about this but I have this feeling that the priority on DL.com will be releasing music related to the Twin Peaks stories/characters/episodes that David appreciates most. And then later down the line, releasing music that fans want that are more related to the span of time when Lynch had distanced himself from the show.

I think things like the themes for Dick Tremayne, Lana, Miss Twin Peaks, and even the Windom Earle themes will probably show up much later in the game when the vault is cleared of extras from Season 1 and early (and very late) Season 2.

I know they've already officially released some music from these kinds of episodes (Josie & Truman, High School Swing...) so I could be full of it but... it's a feeling I've got.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Just bought 4 songs, am LOVING this.

Can only hope for Windom Earles Theme, The musical piece played when Cooper shoots the box open with the chess piece inside, ANYTHING BOB related (sound effects or short musical tracks like the sound made when BOB exits Leland) and of course full version of Dark Mood Woods and anything from Night Life in Twin Peaks Montage!

I hope this is highly successful for Lynch, he is truly wonderful for doing this for us.

So am I right in assuming these TP releases come every Tuesday?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

kingsoprano718 wrote:So am I right in assuming these TP releases come every Tuesday?
Well- I don't know if its set in stone. When they first started releasing them, it wasn't really on a schedule- it was just every 4 to 6 days or so. But the last three releases have been late Monday (or early tues depending where you are), so they may have settled into that schedule.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

I, too, do have the slight suspicion that the music releases (so far, anyway) are specifically tied to the episodes, characters and themes that Lynch had a strong hand in.

Then again, we don't know this for a fact, but I would like to think that DL.com has, in the process of working on the Twin Peaks Archive, consulted with Angelo Badalamenti, who included a lot of non-Lynch-derived season 2 material on the Season 2 soundtrack CD.

Then AGAIN, it's hard to know just how much of season 2 came from DL and how much came from Mark Frost and the other writers. One of the many lingering mysteries of Twin Peaks.

I do take some solace from the fact that Annie and Cooper was released. Yes, it's a reworking of Audrey's Prayer, which was originally composed for the second episode of season two, a Lynch episode. But I like to think it was Angelo who decided to use it throughout season two as an alternative love theme.

All this talk makes we wish there was a definitive book about Badalamenti, Lynch and the music of Twin Peaks.

Ah, to dream.
Guy Quenneville
Roadhouse Member

Forgot to mention:

It was bothering me like crazy what episode or moment that I most recall Love Theme (Alternate Version) being used in, and I finally remembered:

Episode 12, when Donna tells the story of when she and Laura went skinny dipping with the three older guys, and the that scene transitions to the next, with Donna's cigarette ash falling to the floor seguing into a shot of the Douglas firs blowing in the wind.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Guy Quenneville wrote:All this talk makes we wish there was a definitive book about Badalamenti, Lynch and the music of Twin Peaks.
Can I get an Amen here? How about when every single track has been released as a download, we get a complete cd box set with a hardbound book where Lynch and Badalementi discuss every track (moderated by the guy who is doing the current writing). Also included would be all of the Twin Peaks photos to hit the site as well as photos of the studio, the original recording sessions (there has to be some) as well as photos of the actual archival tapes (DAT tape with the faded label 'Sleazy Audrey'...)

Then again, who would be interested in that :wink:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Guy Quenneville wrote:I, too, do have the slight suspicion that the music releases (so far, anyway) are specifically tied to the episodes, characters and themes that Lynch had a strong hand in.

Then again, we don't know this for a fact, but I would like to think that DL.com has, in the process of working on the Twin Peaks Archive, consulted with Angelo Badalamenti, who included a lot of non-Lynch-derived season 2 material on the Season 2 soundtrack CD.

Then AGAIN, it's hard to know just how much of season 2 came from DL and how much came from Mark Frost and the other writers. One of the many lingering mysteries of Twin Peaks.

I do take some solace from the fact that Annie and Cooper was released. Yes, it's a reworking of Audrey's Prayer, which was originally composed for the second episode of season two, a Lynch episode. But I like to think it was Angelo who decided to use it throughout season two as an alternative love theme.

All this talk makes we wish there was a definitive book about Badalamenti, Lynch and the music of Twin Peaks.

Ah, to dream.
I too have to wonder if Badalamenti is involved at all in this process? I would hope so. And I actually can't really see Lynch himself being super involved with picking the actual releases- but I could be wrong. And I also agree that we still don't know the extent of Lynch's involvement with the show at various points. People's recollections of this never seem to match up.

And "Audrey's Prayer" was actually featured twice in Lynch's second season premiere. :D
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:
Guy Quenneville wrote:
-- then there's what I consider to be the classic season one variation of it, a clean version of which has never really been released (it's kind of in the first track of the season two soundtrack, but combined with a number of other textures.) I'm talking about the variation that plays, for instance, in the scene from episode one when Hawk follows The One-Armed Man down to the morgue

There's a subtle difference in the first part of the theme, before the piano "climax", as Badalamenti called it: whereas the original soundtrack version is all synth, in the show it was often punctuated by the plucking of guitar strings.

Small difference, but to my ear, it's noticeable. Then again, I'm obsessed!
New release from dl.com!!! "Love Theme (Alternate Version)" & "Love Theme (Solo Rhodes)"

"Love Theme (Alternate Version)"
Is this the version you were talking about? I'm thinking it is.
Ross wrote:
Guy Quenneville wrote:New release from dl.com!!! "Love Theme (Alternate Version)" & "Love Theme (Solo Rhodes)"

I thought this must have been the version you were thinking of.

No. It's not ;-) Ther was Laura Palmer's Theme with guitar punctation also.

Jerry Horne wrote:
Ross wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I'm downloading now. Could this be the version we hear during the Pilot when Coop questions Donna?
You are correct!!! It is this version from the pilot. Absolutely beautiful & I can't believe that they didn't use it more!! Was this the only time it showed up I wonder?
Qbin will know! I'm not sure myself...
Yes. Only in pilot.

TheArm wrote:
TheArm wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:I cant download it correctly :( Will try again when I get back from work. :(((
I am also having a problem downloading it correctly. My computer keeps telling me that something is wrong with the archive file. Anyone else having any trouble?
Scratch that! Got it to work after all, but took several tries.
Still, I can't get it mine. Damn! I send report on TopSpin support. I hope it'll help.
Last edited by qbin2001 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Guy Quenneville wrote:All this talk makes we wish there was a definitive book about Badalamenti, Lynch and the music of Twin Peaks.
Yeah- I'd love to know more about how the scoring of the actual episodes happened. I've heard it was mostly the individual directors of the episodes choosing tracks from a bunch of archive tracks. I wonder how involved Badalamenti ever was with the episodes themselves.