The Killing - AMC

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

The Killing - AMC

Post by TheArm »

Really curious to see this new series which starts this weekend. Almost all of the reviews I've read compare it to Twin Peaks, especially the opening few minutes apparently (even down to the synth-driven musical score). The consensus seems to be that it's "Twin Peaks without the weirdness." But it is a serialized murder mystery series about the investigation into the murder of a teenage girl in a Pacific Northwestern suburb (just outside Seattle), and the various dark secrets of the community that it unearths. And while I don't think it will focus on any supernatural elements necessarily (I could be wrong, though), it does apparently have an "otherworldly" feel. What a novel concept! :wink:
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
iar
RR Diner Member

Re: The Killing - AMC

Post by iar »

I read about this today in the Guardian... I remembered it from your post, but only skimmed through the article. It's originally a Danish show called Forbydelson or 'The Killing' in English and it's currently airing on BBC4. Unfortunately it expires on Iplayer today and there are 20 episodes to catch up on! So looks like I'll have to find it elsewhere.

The Guardian gave it excellent reviews and mentioned a US remake. No idea what the US version will be like, but the Danish version doesn't appear to be Twin Peaks- like. It's a European-type cop show.. ie. quite gritty, involved and not as 'neat' as US cop shows. But I can see the US remake giving it a TP-type make over so it becomes more accessible to a US audience.

Let me know what it's like!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Generally, I have to say I was pretty impressed. Unlike, say, Happy Town or Harper's Island in recent years, this show boasts really cinematic production values and wonderfully subtle performances. The first hour or so reminded me quite a bit of Peaks in several scenes, but they're so well done that I didn't mind, even if they were a bit derivative. I particularly felt that way when the dead girl's (Rosie Larsen) body was discovered by a lake as the synth-driven soundtrack swelled to a climax, and a shockwave of grief began to spread. The scene in which Rosie's mother finds out (she's on the phone with her husband) was so Sarah Palmer-esque, it has to be seen to be believed. There's also a clue in the girl's necklace, close-ups of her fingernails, eerie shots panning across Rosie's bedroom, etc. All very, very Laura Palmer-ish in tone. We also have her hapless, helpless best friend Sterling and a caddish jerk of a boyfriend Jasper, who are very much echoes of Donna and Bobby. There was the discovery of a bloody, eerie crime scene in the school's basement that felt very evocative of the train car scene in the pilot, as well as a local bigwig played by Billy Campbell who is clearly tied somehow to the murder - echoes of Benjamin Horne.

Having said all this, I'm sure it sounds like a rip-off, but it isn't. It's actually so well-executed that it manages to stand up on its own terms. It's Twin Peaks with some of the Lynchian mood (lots of rain, gloom, moody nature shots of beautiful Pacific Northwestern scenery, constant hints of darkness beneath the surface, and a general feeling of dread), but with none of the oddball humor and surreal Lynchian flourishes. And our lead detective is more Agent Scully than Agent Cooper. Also reminded me a lot of the Canadian series Durham County (which, of course, also often gets compared to TP). I highly recommend you guys check it out!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I should also add that the entire format of the series is just like Twin Peaks, with each episode = one day.
my socks are on fire

Post by my socks are on fire »

Thanks for turning me on to this TheArm, just watched the pilot/first episode.

Pretty much agree with your assessment that it's TP without the Lynch (or Badalamenti, for that matter). Not a lot of humor - except for one obvious TP nod I observed - or much of the symbolism/romanticism. Or any incredibly attractive high school students that look five or so years older than they should be. And the music seems to be a bit of a afterthought - standard TV series fare.

Just like you said, that doesn't sound like much of a recommendation, but I like it. Anyone who enjoyed the 'murder mystery shot in the Pacific Northwest' aspect of TP should check it out. And for folks who watch too many HBO series like me, you'll recognize Mireille Enos (Jodeen from Big Love) as Detective Linden and Michelle Forbes (Maryann from True Blood) as Laura's... err, Rosie's mom.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

**SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN EPISODE 3**

Yet another Twin Peaks twist this week, with the discovery that Rosie was involved in a creepy drug-fueled sex party on the night she was killed, and that the guys she was involved with were both somehow involved in selling drugs. WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE? :)
j9
Roadhouse Member

Post by j9 »

TheArm wrote:**SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN EPISODE 3**

Yet another Twin Peaks twist this week, with the discovery that Rosie was involved in a creepy drug-fueled sex party on the night she was killed, and that the guys she was involved with were both somehow involved in selling drugs. WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE? :)

And another apparent nod towards TP. Although he's not a sheriff, the janitor's name was Lyndon Johnson Morales.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

j9 wrote:
TheArm wrote:**SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN EPISODE 3**

And another apparent nod towards TP. Although he's not a sheriff, the janitor's name was Lyndon Johnson Morales.
YES - I'd forgotten about that one.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

And tonight we learned that Rosie is apparently hiding stuff in a lockbox somewhere, similar to the safety-deposit box...
Jude
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jude »

That doesn't sound good to me, i don't think i will watch the series after knowing these things because it's clear that this show is influenced by Twin Peaks, and the writer even says that she never watched TP: http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/east_king/m ... 11339.html I think that's bullshit.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

In last night's episode, they discovered a videotape of Rosie Larsen (similar to the picnic video, but more angsty), and there was a key clue in a reflection that the detective caught on the screen (similar to James' bike reflected in Laura's eye). I meeeeean...
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

I noticed the Twin Peaks similarities right away but that still doesnt mean I can not enjoy the show. I mean, SOMEONE was a fan in order for this stuff to even show up. I do not think we will be seeing any dancing dwarves or giants on this show.

It is like early Peaks with the darkness of the later Peaks. We have a town where everyone knows each other but they all have secrets.

To this day I say if TP was on right now it would be a hit and this show proves that. I for one am going to enjoy getting wrapped up again in a great mystery and great stories, no matter how similar. We all know we will never get a proper resolution to our favorite series. This is probably the next best thing and it is a great show to boot.

Other similarities/tributes I have noticed are the relationship between the cops. The female is strong and seasoned like Harry Truman. And her partner is a quirky new guy in town like Cooper.

**************HUGE SPOILER FOR FOREIGN VERSION***********************************

Highlight below

The killer turns out to be the dad, but the US creators say they most likely will NOT go in that direction
my socks are on fire

Post by my socks are on fire »

Well, if that's the guilty party in this incarnation, then it's even more TP-like. I noticed that the ma and pop Larsen were acting sorta 'Palmeresque' in the last episode.

I think it's someone related to the Richmond campaign - if not him - and Holder's on the take trying to pin it on somebody else (Bennet now).

I'm sure I'll revise that theory in a couple episodes though.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

I've been watching from the get-go and noticed TP similarities everywhere. I'm enjoying the show a lot though, and will be interested to see how the show progresses.
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

kingsoprano718 wrote:
**************HUGE SPOILER FOR FOREIGN VERSION***********************************

Highlight below

The killer turns out to be the dad, but the US creators say they most likely will NOT go in that direction
I watched all of the Danish version, and this supposed spoiler is categorically not true.

But even the Danish version felt very TP-influenced in basic idea, of course.