The Pine Floats

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Magician
Roadhouse Member

The Pine Floats

Post by The Magician »

The second track on the FWWM soundtrack. Great song, but I was just wondering if someone could tell me what that title was in reference to? I've only seen the movie once, and I don't remember the song being in it.

What does The Pine Floats mean and what scene is it in? Thanks!
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I love that track, but no idea where the title comes from. The track itself is featured in the scene where Donna comes over and finds Laura getting ready to go out, right before the scene @ the Roadhouse with Jacques Renault where Donna follows her. ("Where are the cookies?" "You mean Fred and Ginger?")
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
The Magician
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Magician »

Really? That seems a pretty low key scene for such an attention getting song. Was it playing on the Hayward's record player in the background or something?

And thanks. Yeah, I love that track, too. All of the songs on that album are incredible.
Sometimes things can happen just like this. *snap*

J'ai une âme solitaire.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Re: The Pine Floats

Post by gavriloP »

Two years old thread, man. Well, I'd still like to answer my thoughts about Pine floats (which I like very much like all those blue jazzy pieces on FWWM soundtrack).

I think it is reference to pine floating, you know, the method how the sawmill industry get its raw materials. From the woods to the river and there to the sawmill. This is the old way of transporting lumber, and very common in my country too (forests have always been main source of income to this land, before Nokia, I mean). The key here is also the fact that we see Teresa Banks floating like that too.
ultrabrilliant

Post by ultrabrilliant »

Some research has led me to believe that a pine float is an old American reference to a cheap date. The 'pine' in question being a toothpick, floating in a glass of plain water.

Of course, this is all information gleaned from the internet, so it could be wrong. But it fits in with Lynch's love for nostalgia and Americana.
Methedrome
Roadhouse Member

Post by Methedrome »

I always thought it sounded very similar to Harlem Nocturne...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh8q4lDgjDI