Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thr

Post by Jerry Horne »

DEniZZrus wrote:
some percussion added at the end in the 4H
You mean there bass added, not percussion? But I guess it's just mix with PACKARD'S VIBRATION track
Oops, you're right - bass.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

I cannot articulate in words how joyous an occasion this is. I plan on delving into some huckleberry pie this evening and breaking the number of plays on my itunes for any artist.

So many lush images come to mind - the petroglyph on the chalkboard, Senor Droolcup, the inverted symbol, the adventurous mysterious trek by Cooper and the gang into Owl Cave, the owls flying in a frenzy above, and so on and so forth. I loved hearing about the Native American folklore surrounding this locale and the wondrous mystery that accompanies it.

This arc was vital to ramping up the quality of the second season after the previous section of weaker episodes and pushed the story forward nicely up into the finale in Glastonbury Grove and eventually the Red Room.

A fond thank you to the fine people at davidlynch.com who gave this to the fans. Look forward to plenty more. Until then, I will be in the shadows.
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Thanks, DL.com!! :) I'm very happy to have this one.

The note in the song description about how this type of track probably wouldn't have been included in a formal CD release doesn't surprise me at all. I'd guess that many of the remaining unreleased tracks would fall into that category. There are a lot of great "atmospheric" tracks yet to be released that I'm dying to have, and I somehow can't imagine them being heard back-to-back in an album format.

I've said it before, I'll say it again -- long live The Twin Peaks Archive!!
jdh.goodgrief
RR Diner Member

Post by jdh.goodgrief »

Not one for regular rotation in my Playlist, but glad you guys are excited.

It's surprising that, 52 tracks into the Archive, they haven't released the two variations on themes that were on Angelo's MySpace page ahead of the Season Two Music and More disc: Shelly Quits and Love Theme (Piano). Fabulous pieces of music both, and one would have thought they would be all cleaned up and ready to release. Maybe they think that the majority of the buying public managed to obtain them somehow, but hopefully we'll hear them in top quality sound soon.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I was away yesterday so I haven't had a chance to get this yet. And davidlynch.com seems to be down right now! :(

Anyway, I'm thinking they must have named the track "Owl Cave" because of people calling it that on this board?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote:Anyway, I'm thinking they must have named the track "Owl Cave" because of people calling it that on this board?
Seems like it! I guess that's probably the case for "Annie and Cooper" too.

I certainly prefer "Owl Cave" and "Annie and Cooper" as titles, rather than "The Giant Appears" and "Sleazy Audrey." :wink:
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

bosguy1981 wrote:The note in the song description about how this type of track probably wouldn't have been included in a formal CD release doesn't surprise me at all.
It actually surprises me! 'Owl Cave' is a major season two theme. The full version as just released would have been an easy choice for the season two soundtrack back in 2007. I mean, it's academic now since it was just released. However, it seems like more of a crucial track than 'Barbershop' ;)
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Jerry Horne wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:The note in the song description about how this type of track probably wouldn't have been included in a formal CD release doesn't surprise me at all.
It actually surprises me! 'Owl Cave' is a major season two theme. The full version as just released would have been an easy choice for the season two soundtrack back in 2007. I mean, it's academic now since it was just released. However, it seems like more of a crucial track than 'Barbershop' ;)
True about "Barbershop," I guess. (Even though I do love me some "Barbershop").

I definitely love "Owl Cave" and agree it's a crucial piece of music from the second season. But it's more atmosphere than... I dunno.... being at all melodic like so many of the best-known songs that have been officially released on the soundtracks, don't you think? And somehow when David and Angelo were collecting their favorite pieces for these soundtracks, I just can't for the life of me imagine Angelo going, "Oh yes, this Owl Cave one is really special to me." I'm being snarky (and again, I love the song!)

Also I notice whenever I make my friends watch Twin Peaks, they always comment on how much they love the music. And as soon as we get to the "Owl Cave" song (even as early as the use in the Roadhouse in Episode 16), I've literally had three different people say to me, "What is this cheesy music? This isn't that Badalamenti guy is it?" It's strange.
BookhouseBoyBob
Site Admin

Post by BookhouseBoyBob »

Jerry Horne wrote:However, it seems like more of a crucial track than 'Barbershop' ;)

Don't be hatin' ..Barbershop is one of my all time faves, evoking the conversation Dale was having with Albert

I watched that scene again last night and didn't realize until then that they don't seem to actually be singing...just smoking cigarettes
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

rmaiolo wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:However, it seems like more of a crucial track than 'Barbershop' ;)

Don't be hatin' ..Barbershop is one of my all time faves, evoking the conversation Dale was having with Albert

I watched that scene again last night and didn't realize until then that they don't seem to actually be singing...just smoking cigarettes
Not hatin' at all! Owl Cave in my book is an A+ and Barbershop is an A-

I'm certainly convinced that Owl Cave was way more of a crucial and often used motif in season 2.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
True about "Barbershop," I guess. (Even though I do love me some "Barbershop").

I definitely love "Owl Cave" and agree it's a crucial piece of music from the second season. But it's more atmosphere than... I dunno.... being at all melodic like so many of the best-known songs that have been officially released on the soundtracks, don't you think? And somehow when David and Angelo were collecting their favorite pieces for these soundtracks, I just can't for the life of me imagine Angelo going, "Oh yes, this Owl Cave one is really special to me." I'm being snarky (and again, I love the song!)

Also I notice whenever I make my friends watch Twin Peaks, they always comment on how much they love the music. And as soon as we get to the "Owl Cave" song (even as early as the use in the Roadhouse in Episode 16), I've literally had three different people say to me, "What is this cheesy music? This isn't that Badalamenti guy is it?" It's strange.
You see, I find 'Owl Cave' both atmospheric and melodic. The chord changes are just sublime.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

rmaiolo wrote: Barbershop is one of my all time faves, evoking the conversation Dale was having with Albert

I noticed that too when I rewatched the series a few weeks ago! Strange.... (or to bring it all back to Owl Cave... "wonderful and strange") :lol:
lostandfound
Roadhouse Member

Post by lostandfound »

There's been some great stuff from the archive so far (for me we are talking Deer Meadow Shuffle and Mysterioso stuff - along with Annie and Cooper, TP nostalgia version etc..)
Surprised that we've had a lot of variants and are still missing key themes (such as '24 hours' (as it's been called here) along with some Windom Earle stuff and also - from FWWM - music from early in the film with the autopsy and Phillips Jefferies etc). Would be great to get some of these.

I'm also a fan of some of the 'soundscape' tracks (for want of a better word!). The sound/score from scenes such as the entire Cooper -is-shot sequence, or the Bob-visit-Laura from FWWM.. It'd be great to have a bundle of some of these - they are really effective pieces that underscored key moments.

I'd also be real happy to hear some Thought Gang stuff and some score from the likes of Lost Highway and tracks from Mullholland Drive (was it Thought Gang doing the funky numbers at the pool party towards the end of the film?).

Really enjoying the releases (on the whole) so far - be great to see a few new tracks a week instead of hanging onto just the one!

Thanks to all at the DL Music Comp for what we have so far!
"And your blood may have Laura's .. fingerprints on it.."
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

lostandfound wrote:There's been some great stuff from the archive so far (for me we are talking Deer Meadow Shuffle and Mysterioso stuff - along with Annie and Cooper, TP nostalgia version etc..)
Surprised that we've had a lot of variants and are still missing key themes (such as '24 hours' (as it's been called here) along with some Windom Earle stuff and also - from FWWM - music from early in the film with the autopsy and Phillips Jefferies etc). Would be great to get some of these.
I hear ya! You just named all the songs I'm most looking forward to getting at this point.

I don't really mind getting some of the "less crucial to me" songs beforehand though. It leaves some great gems in the "Release Date To Be Determined" pile, which keeps me very excited for future releases. And they said they want this Archive to be ongoing, so it probably makes sense to sprinkle these alternate versions and other cues (like the Jacoby tracks and the RR Diner jukebox tracks) in there before releasing things that got used a lot like "24 Hours" and the Windom tracks.

Like you, I'm so, so, so happy that this Archive exists. So thrilled to get some tracks that I figured would never, ever see an official release.
thom

Post by thom »

I'd love to hear stuff like "Audrey's Dance (Clean Fast)" and "Swooning Woodwinds" from the pilot, as well as some variation of "Black Lodge Rumble". Oh, and a full length standalone version of "The Red Room" would be a dream come true.