INLAND EMPIRE DVD RELEASE

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks shemsha. But my point in asking was to see if anyone in here would consider writing up a review for Amazon, since not everybody got to see it. I've only seen the movie once, so I don't feel qualified. But I know there are some out there who have seen it multiple times and written pretty extensive reviews.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
mr5973

subtitles on R1 and R2 release?

Post by mr5973 »

hi,
does anybody know if there will be (english) subtitles on the american or the british release of "inland empire"?
thanks.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Got word back from Absurda. The US version will have closed captions.
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

Thanks.

Do you know if the english CC will be captions I select at the DVD menu (like in twin peaks season 2) or CC that are only visible in certain TV sets?
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

Not sure if UK release will have 90 minutes of additional material. This from Optimum Home Entertainment:

http://www.optimumreleasing.com/dvd.php?id=466

The Europeans to suffer again.... :(
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

I always try and check which region has the best edition of DVDs I want and buy it.
It's very simple if you have a region-free dvd player.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

the interesting thing about this is that people are assuming the "More things that happened" section includes deleted scenes - whereas, it is being billed as "Talks with Laura Dern and David Lynch : ...etc" - so surely it will just be stories about the production resulting from interviews with both of them?

apart from the davisdvd.com mention, i see nowhere else claiming that this could be deleted scenes. sure, the Euro release could be different from the US one in terms of extras, but i'm not confident there will be such a wealth of discarded material thrown up after all on the US release.

more importantly, what of all the compression issues, the quality of sound, the squeezing of the film onto 1 disc? after all the grief about this (mentioned on this board) regarding Eraserhead and Twin Peaks, what are we to expect about the transfer of this film?

ok - the quality isn't stunning in the first place, but the treatment of the digital video for transfer to film was incredible - in case anyone missed the article :

http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynamic/ ... page1.php#

does any of the more technically-minded among you have ideas about the likelihood of a "faithful" look / transfer to DVD for such a long film, even if originally shot on PD-150? the article linked above states that the DVD release will use the up-converted HDCam SR tapes as the master...
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »

I can't agree with the problem of squeezing of the film onto 1 disc.
As far as I can recall and know, the only movies that was spread on 2 DVD are the extnded lord of the rings movies.
There are a lot of movies that have a long running time but still look great on 1 DVD.

About the deleted scenes, you may be right.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

well, you may also be right there but i have no concrete examples of 3 hour long films on one disc that i can check at the moment.

much as i would hate the experience of changing discs for this film, i am a little concerned that audio will suffer (and boy, how i love the sound design on this film....) at the expense of retaining image quality....

Tarkovsky's "Andrei Rublev" runs to about the same time, has Dolby 5.1, is spread across two discs, and looks almost as gorgeous as it does on the big screen (recent new print notwithstanding)...

i guess bmiller, John Neff and LeoFaraon already had this discussion over on the Twin Peaks "Episode 29 compression" thread. i'll still be very interested to see how this turns out.
Lumberton

Post by Lumberton »

biotron wrote:Tarkovsky's "Andrei Rublev" runs to about the same time, has Dolby 5.1, is spread across two discs, and looks almost as gorgeous as it does on the big screen (recent new print notwithstanding)...
The Criterion edition runs close to four hours and is only on one disc!

Absolute masterpiece of cinema though, glad to see other Lynch fans appreciate Tarkovsky!
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

biotron wrote:the interesting thing about this is that people are assuming the "More things that happened" section includes deleted scenes - whereas, it is being billed as "Talks with Laura Dern and David Lynch : ...etc" - so surely it will just be stories about the production resulting from interviews with both of them?
"More Things that Happened" is NOT being billed as talks with Dern and Lynch. A typo (missing hard return) on the Ryko site runs two feaures on the DVD together, whereas in reality "More Things" is billed as Additional Character Experiences.

http://www.rykodistribution.com/artist_ ... a_id=20361

These will be scenes Lynch filmed but didn't use in IE.
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

harmolodic wrote:
biotron wrote:the interesting thing about this is that people are assuming the "More things that happened" section includes deleted scenes - whereas, it is being billed as "Talks with Laura Dern and David Lynch : ...etc" - so surely it will just be stories about the production resulting from interviews with both of them?
"More Things that Happened" is NOT being billed as talks with Dern and Lynch. A typo (missing hard return) on the Ryko site runs two feaures on the DVD together, whereas in reality "More Things" is billed as Additional Character Experiences.

http://www.rykodistribution.com/artist_ ... a_id=20361

These will be scenes Lynch filmed but didn't use in IE.
And this appears to be different from Region 2 disc :(
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

harmolodic - thanks for clearing that up. i take it you like Ornette Coleman? :)

well, if it is true that the 75 minutes of "More Things..." scenes are not being included on the region 2 release, that's a shocking disgrace...

but great news that they do appear to be there, despite that misleading typo!
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

biotron wrote:harmolodic - thanks for clearing that up. i take it you like Ornette Coleman? :)
Indeed I do--and all the other great harmolodic musicians like James Blood and Jamaladeen.

Ever use AnyDVD? then you never have to worry about regions again...
shemsha
Roadhouse Member

Post by shemsha »