Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thread

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Unreleased Twin Peaks Music Announcements - Official Thr

Post by Ross »

I'm kind of surprised they didn't bundle this with one of the other unreleased versions. I guess the Archive could easily last another year and a half or so!! :D
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

This one is even used (very briefly) to accompany Cooper's first appearance in FWWM.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

This is almost mean to mention, but can you guys even imagine how much more music there would be if Twin Peaks had been renewed for one more season?

It's amazing how many (excellent) original pieces were composed for both seasons of the show!
smokebelch
Roadhouse Member

Post by smokebelch »

Loving this weeks track, really sums up the whole essence of the show in three an a half wonderful minutes :D
On a slighlt sourer note, just bought last weeks bundle but never got the email with download link :( emailed topspin as money taken from my paypal, anyone any idea how long it takes them to respond? Dont mind a wait so long as they can sort it out...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Ross wrote:This one is even used (very briefly) to accompany Cooper's first appearance in FWWM.
Yeah, I know it's called "Dance of the Dream Man," but I usually associate the track the most with Cooper, almost like it's his theme, since they play the original version the first time we ever see him when he's driving into town, and then this seems to segue into this solo sax version when he meets Truman at Calhoun Memorial Hospital in the next scene, and then we hear that again the first time he appears in FWWM.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

TheArm wrote:
Ross wrote:This one is even used (very briefly) to accompany Cooper's first appearance in FWWM.
Yeah, I know it's called "Dance of the Dream Man," but I usually associate the track the most with Cooper, almost like it's his theme, since they play the original version the first time we ever see him when he's driving into town, and then this seems to segue into this solo sax version when he meets Truman at Calhoun Memorial Hospital in the next scene, and then we hear that again the first time he appears in FWWM.
Yeah- its definitely "Cooper's Theme". Its almost always associated with Cooper or the Red Room.
coolspringsj
RR Diner Member
Location: RR Diner drinking coffee blacker than midnight on a moonless night

Post by coolspringsj »

Ross, hope the album cover is the iconic ep 27 pool of oil screenshot like someone mentioned above :P

Here is what I want the most that's still unreleased -

Audrey's Prayer (Earle Flute Version) - need more Earle music since he was focal point of season 2 second half
Ben Comes Marching Home #1- bundle should simply be called Ben's Civil War
Ben Comes Marching Home #2
Ben Comes Marching Home #3
Ben Comes Marching Home (Percussion Only)
Black Lodge Rumble 2- don't know what this is, but I bet it's nice and dark
Bookhouse Boys- major major theme vastly underrepresented on TOS
Bookhouse Boys (Solo Guitar)
Dick Tremeyne Swing- need track for lovers of this charismatic superdouche
Giant's Theme- if it's what I think it is, this is at or near top of my list
Giant's Theme (Light)
Hank's Theme-cheesy stereotypical bad guy but solid theme
John Justice Wheeler's Theme-catchy twangy country theme for lame character who gets hottest TP gal
Johnson's Theme - should this be named the Abuse Theme or Motif? Poor Shelly
Just You (Instrumental)- better than vocal version
Leo Attacks Bobby- this is incredibly beautiful if its the scene in an early episode 20ish scene where Bobby saves Shelly and Leo escapes thru plastic wall into woods
Windom Earle's Flute- flute tracks abound in late season 2 story arc - needs representation
ALL UNRELEASED FWWM tracks - everything is gold.

PS - Watched FWWM recently and noticed (disturbingly) that it seemed like the audio for the actors dialogue was turned way up and the music was very muted in the background. I was watching solely to figure out all of these wonderful FWWM tracks everyone talks about on here and had trouble hearing them clearly. Is this fixable or is this the way the FWWM DVD was recorded? Remember seeing FWWM in theaters and it was the opposite. Example - Pink Room scene - music blared and could barely hear actors so subtitle were needed. On DVD, its the inverse. Dialogue clear as day and dont even need the subtitles. Music is almost muted even at high volumes dialogue overrules music. Very upsetting. Anyone else have this issue?
Welcome to amateur hour. Looks like an all-nighter, boys.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

coolspringsj wrote:Here is what I want the most that's still unreleased -

Audrey's Prayer (Earle Flute Version) - need more Earle music since he was focal point of season 2 second half
Speaking of... what's left to be released for Earle music besides the flute stuff? Besides that, were "Windom Earle's Motif" and "Dark Forces" the main music pieces for Earle? Or was there another (as yet unreleased) slow-speed orchestral track that was also used for Earle scenes?
DEniZZrus
RR Diner Member

Post by DEniZZrus »

Or was there another (as yet unreleased) slow-speed orchestral track that was also used for Earle scenes?
No. If you mean orchestral tracks used only for Earle there wasn't, then.
I'm not X-files fan but... damn, the truth is really out there!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:
coolspringsj wrote:Here is what I want the most that's still unreleased -

Speaking of... what's left to be released for Earle music besides the flute stuff? Besides that, were "Windom Earle's Motif" and "Dark Forces" the main music pieces for Earle? Or was there another (as yet unreleased) slow-speed orchestral track that was also used for Earle scenes?
Earle's themes are basically "Earle's Flute", "Dark Forces" & "Earle Motif" (minus the middle section which was only used in the Little Nicky/Devil scene).
Last edited by Ross on Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

coolspringsj wrote:Ross, hope the album cover is the iconic ep 27 pool of oil screenshot like someone mentioned above :P
PS - Watched FWWM recently and noticed (disturbingly) that it seemed like the audio for the actors dialogue was turned way up and the music was very muted in the background. I was watching solely to figure out all of these wonderful FWWM tracks everyone talks about on here and had trouble hearing them clearly. Is this fixable or is this the way the FWWM DVD was recorded? Remember seeing FWWM in theaters and it was the opposite. Example - Pink Room scene - music blared and could barely hear actors so subtitle were needed. On DVD, its the inverse. Dialogue clear as day and dont even need the subtitles. Music is almost muted even at high volumes dialogue overrules music. Very upsetting. Anyone else have this issue?
YES!!! They absolutely messed up the audio BIG TIME on the DVD. Amazingly, I think Lynch approved it- bit its a total botch job. Takes a lot of the power out of the Partyland scene, and the One-Armed Man/Leland traffic scene. The sound mix was amazing in theaters.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I've spoken with John Neff many times on this and I suspect that once the masters were handed over to New Line, someone in "Quality Control" likely said "Wait a minute, this dialogue track is way too low. We'll go ahead and fix it by bumping it up 20db" right before they released it.

One other item is the symbol hit right as Cooper enters Cole's Office. The sound element is completely missing.

The DVD is a complete trainwreck. The documentary is insulting to fans of the film and was a total hack job. The color timing was not done to match the original color timing of the film back hen it was released.

It saddens me that for the last 10 years, that is the way some fans will first experience the film. A bloody shame.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

dugpa wrote:I've spoken with John Neff many times on this and I suspect that once the masters were handed over to New Line, someone in "Quality Control" likely said "Wait a minute, this dialogue track is way too low. We'll go ahead and fix it by bumping it up 20db" right before they released it.

One other item is the symbol hit right as Cooper enters Cole's Office. The sound element is completely missing.

The DVD is a complete trainwreck. The documentary is insulting to fans of the film and was a total hack job. The color timing was not done to match the original color timing of the film back hen it was released.

It saddens me that for the last 10 years, that is the way some fans will first experience the film. A bloody shame.
That's so frustrating. I certainly hope the corrections will be made in time for the next release (which is likely to be BluRay??)

I happened to watch FWWM yesterday and also watched that documentary for the first time in a few years. What a crude mess. One thing I noticed... the documentary includes a couple of snippets from the Partyland scene. And the clips shown in the documentary appear to be mixed properly, with the dialogue barely-audible and the Pink Room/Blue Frank stuff really high.
Cooped
Roadhouse Member

Post by Cooped »

That is a shame about the mixing of FWWM; for I have only ever seen the DVD version...However, are the mixes different between region 1 and 2? Because contrary to what other people seem to say, the vocals during the Partyland scene are barely audible, as they should be?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Bosguy, you are right. The documentary actually used the original stero film mix which proved that they botched the sound mix. The DVD actually has a 2.0 stereo mix which was newly created from the 5.1 and sounds the same. A shame that they didn't include the original 2.0 mix.

Cooped, the Mk2 Region 2 mid is more true to the original mix and features a different 5.1 mix than the New Line mix.

As much as I love the film, I can not watch the US version due to the issues with color timing and the sound. The mk2 disc I can't watch due to the Pal speedup.

Hope a blu ray release comes out soon.