Did I spot a Twin Peaks filming location in Dynasty?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Did I spot a Twin Peaks filming location in Dynasty?

Post by bosguy1981 »

So I'm watching an episode of Dynasty from 1982, and there's a scene (filmed in California) by a lake. And it could be any old lake but as soon as this scene started, I went "Woah! That looks to me like the same place they used for Twin Peaks scenes!"

Take a look and tell me if I'm crazy. Skip ahead to 3 minutes, 10 seconds...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su6K37GxYyo
piero
RR Diner Member

Re: Did I spot a Twin Peaks filming location in Dynasty?

Post by piero »

It looks very similar!
Roomservice...
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

I think I also spotted evelyn marsh's house in little fockers
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

That's definitely Malibou Lake (yes "Malibou", not Malibu:) I'm working on a section for my site on other films (of which there are many) that have used the same locations as T.P. ...can't wait to add this one! Thanks for sharing!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Good find!! I knew Charles would be able to confirm (or deny). Charles- did you ever confirm Glastonbury Grove in Wonder Woman?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

charles wrote:That's definitely Malibou Lake (yes "Malibou", not Malibu:) I'm working on a section for my site on other films (of which there are many) that have used the same locations as T.P. ...can't wait to add this one! Thanks for sharing!
No problem! Can't wait to see that section on your site. :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

charles wrote:That's definitely Malibou Lake (yes "Malibou", not Malibu:) I'm working on a section for my site on other films (of which there are many) that have used the same locations as T.P. ...can't wait to add this one! Thanks for sharing!
I know there's an episode of The Wonder Years that includes a scene at the Gas Station / Lydecker Clinic...
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
AllthewayfromEdmonds
RR Diner Member

Post by AllthewayfromEdmonds »

Just for kicks check out Past Midnight 1992, Rutger Hauer, Natasha Richardson. The opening scene is Snoqualmie Station and Trains. Anyone who has gone to the Peaks Fest or North Bend will recognize it. Also, The Vanishing 1992, Jeff Bridges has many roads and highways used in Twin Peaks and other films shot in the Seattle area. Watch the backgrounds carefully.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

So this isn't an exterior filming location but...

I was watching a 1991 episode of HBO's Tales From the Crypt (third season) called "Split Second" and feel like I spotted some use of the Twin Peaks California sets. Throughout the episode, I was thinking that some of the sets really resembled Catherine & Pete's house and Windom Earle's cabin and I'm wondering if maybe HBO inherited the old Twin Peaks sets after the series got canceled?

There's a scene in a bedroom (and adjoining bathroom) that seems almost identical to Cooper's room at the Great Northern. I attached a couple of crappy screen shots from this scene. Sorry, but there weren't any particularly good shots of the entire room that could be frozen without being blurred. I realize the bathroom looks a little different in terms of the type/placement of light/mirror on the wall but what do you think? And check out the towels!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (46.16 KiB) Viewed 10550 times
photo-1.JPG
photo-1.JPG (47.64 KiB) Viewed 10550 times
photo-3.JPG
photo-3.JPG (49.06 KiB) Viewed 10550 times
photo-2.JPG
photo-2.JPG (64.31 KiB) Viewed 10550 times
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Oh, it turns out the whole episode is on YouTube.

The scene I captured above starts at 4:05 on this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZglr8-F5ME

But there are a few other sets throughout the episode that remind me of TP too.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

bosguy1981 wrote:So this isn't an exterior filming location but...

I was watching a 1991 episode of HBO's Tales From the Crypt (third season) called "Split Second" and feel like I spotted some use of the Twin Peaks California sets. Throughout the episode, I was thinking that some of the sets really resembled Catherine & Pete's house and Windom Earle's cabin and I'm wondering if maybe HBO inherited the old Twin Peaks sets after the series got canceled?

There's a scene in a bedroom (and adjoining bathroom) that seems almost identical to Cooper's room at the Great Northern. I attached a couple of crappy screen shots from this scene. Sorry, but there weren't any particularly good shots of the entire room that could be frozen without being blurred. I realize the bathroom looks a little different in terms of the type/placement of light/mirror on the wall but what do you think? And check out the towels!

The doors are definitively from Cooper's Room! Just checked it (last scene from ep. 7 44:58) and YT video (4:30). Amazing!
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

that is so cool! wow.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Amazing!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Holy cow... check out the bar in the first scene! It's the Road House! Same lights hanging over the bar.

About 50 seconds in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYfhsuP4dUs

You guys should check out the entire 30-minute episode. I'm convinced Pete & Catherine's house (and possibly Windom's cabin) are also used in this episode.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

The Road House scene even has the double chainsaw decoration thing hanging from the wall. Wasn't that seen in an episode? Or it's a prop that somebody has on their web site or something?

This is incredible!