LYNCH (one) Theatrical Release

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

LYNCH (one) Theatrical Release

Post by Annie »

Has anybody gone over to look at the Lynch Documentary website? It's not quite finished, but there's an interview with David and lots of pictures of him so far. Looks like it will be a cool site, and, can you believe it, they plan on another message board? Dugpa referred to it on the front page. It's currently showing at the Munich Filmfest. Address is http://lynchdocumentary.com/.
Last edited by Annie on Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
moviemaker
RR Diner Member

Post by moviemaker »

Wow that's super!

Thanks a bunch Annie!
xas

Post by xas »

Why "(one)" on the poster??
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I have no clue about (one) on the poster. Maybe one of you geniuses in here will be kind enough to post a picture of that poster. Guess we'll have to wait and see. So far I haven't seen any information about how it's being distributed. But it's got some very strange music...don't you think?
Black_Lodge

Post by Black_Lodge »

Wow! This looks very interesting. The site looks great and the background music gives it an eerie feeling. Anny release date for this documetary?
"I'll see you in the trees..."
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

Annie wrote:I have no clue about (one) on the poster. Maybe one of you geniuses in here will be kind enough to post a picture of that poster. Guess we'll have to wait and see. So far I haven't seen any information about how it's being distributed. But it's got some very strange music...don't you think?
Because Lynch 2 is the shorter documentary included on the Inland Empire special edition DVD.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

well, i'll be interested to see (when my US copy of IE eventually shows up) if Lynch 2 is really composed of shots from Lynch 1, or contains any extra material...

so - we went to see "LYNCH" (case-sensitive) last Friday at the Edinburgh Film Festival. i don't really want to spoil the content too much for anyone who is anxiously awaiting this, so if you are one of those people, LOOK AWAY NOW! :)

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

it had some superb moments (listen out for the quote about Einstein, and the scene which shows how the stylus sequence from IE was shot, for example) but overall it felt too much like an attempt to come to terms with Lynch as a wacky hands-on auteur while just happening to be around for the shooting of IE - with the result that we hear quite a lot of what we expect to hear about Lynch's past (and some joyous anecdotes which were new to me too) and very little that is behind-the-scenes or about the process of shooting IE.

i guess i had hoped to be presented with a few more nuggets from the IE set, or even had certain talking-head sequences with actors working on IE, or otherwise. as a documentary goes, i think in the end i far prefer something like "Pretty as a Picture" for the more rounded overview it actually gives.

"LYNCH" tries a little too hard to celebrate the PD-150 / mid-quality DV showcased in IE, but with none of the glorious post-production which saves the content from such a weak format. while it does reveal interesting elements to Lynch's character (especially the anger!) and gives us a good insight into just how little he knew about IE in the early stages / working backwards to "discover" how the film would pan out, it still feels really ephemeral, being a loosely-connected series of mildly-satisfying vignettes. the "reconstructions" are awful and unnecessary, and there is a shot / inference at the end which is so cheesy as to be embarrassing.

oddly, it is one of the few things i have seen about Lynch that i would honestly say i don't really feel the need to sit through ever again. compare that with Mark Cousins' "Scene by Scene" show on Lynch, which i would happily watch a 3rd or 4th time.

but - you know you are going to want to see this, and of course i recommend you do when the opportunity arises. presumably Absurda will release it as a DVD at some point. i suppose it would be ideal - and consequently a far more enjoyable film - if one previously knew nothing about the man, because the documentary has a difficult job of trying to pitch somewhere between the die-hards and the newbies.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

biotron wrote:well, i'll be interested to see (when my US copy of IE eventually shows up) if Lynch 2 is really composed of shots from Lynch 1, or contains any extra material...
Thanks for the info. I'll be disappointed if Lynch 1 includes scenes from Lynch 2. I thought Lynch 2 was it's own thing. Although it sounds like Lynch 1 will be very similar, as far as it being just a collection of scenes/vignettes instead of following the making the film in a more linear fashion, which I was hoping for. But still, I enjoyed Lynch 2 and it will get repeated viewings from me.
biotron
Roadhouse Member

Post by biotron »

well, my US copy of IE finally arrived and i can confirm there is no crossover between LYNCH 1 and 2.

LYNCH 2, imho, is far superior in terms of editing, content and what it reveals about IE - i really enjoyed watching it last night. so : for those of you still awaiting the longer documentary, don't get too excited - you probably already have the better of the two in your possession...
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

Ouch! lol
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Since the marketing of Lynch (one) has begun, I thought we should begin to talk about it more. We may move this to its own thread. I hope anybody who gets to see it in Seattle or NYC posts something here. If there is any way to actually HARRASS (see front page notice) our local art theaters to get this to play, I'm certainly going to try.

So, ideas for how to harrass nicely? And get the movie shown, hopefully followed by INLAND EMPIRE? Of course, we can't all have the privilege of having David or blackANDwhite come do a Q & A.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

People tried pestering theatres to show INLAND EMPIRE and it made no difference. Look at the pressure fans have put on New Line to release the FWWM deleted scenes over the years. The problem with being a DL fan is, people don't listen to us. Not even the man himself! DL is one of my all time heroes but theatrical runs of his own films aren't exactly lucrative.

I hope Lynch One does well, and it will, even if it doesn't make a profit until the DVD's released. It might also be worth targeting the French since they've just made DL a saint (or something). The French are the most Lynch friendly nation in the world.

I don't think you can say, Lynch One is out soon, it's time we talked about it because... well, the lack of replies speaks for itself. I'm not sure why that is but maybe after the INLAND EMPIRE DVD and soundtrack, Twin Peaks season two, the Complete Mystery/Gold Box, More Music From Twin Peaks, The Air Is On Fire book/exhibition and Catching The Big Fish people are just too exhausted, not to mention poor!
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:I don't think you can say, Lynch One is out soon, it's time we talked about it because... well, the lack of replies speaks for itself.
I would be happy to talk about it, after I've seen it - There's little point beforehand.

I do hope it gets a speedy DVD release... Although I suspect that living in the UK I'll have to buy a US region 1 import (as usual) when it does. ;-)

RR
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

What I meant was talking about how we're going to independently get it into theaters--that kind of stuff. I haven't a clue. dugpa is contacting ABSURDA, so we'll see if they write back. Because in my town, I seriously doubt the same place that showed IE will also show Lynch (one), but we did just get a new art theater and the manager told me she was a Lynch fan. I even asked her to do a screening of IE, even now that the DVD is out, because it's so much better on a big screen. No reply.

Think we need to start a new thread separate from this?

PS--I heartily second the notion of being poor from all this new stuff. I haven't even pre-ordered the Gold Box. Got to pay rent.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

I agree with you 100% about the import, Red Room. I dread to think how much I've spent on import duties and international shipping over the last few years.

And I know what you mean about pre-ordering the Gold Box, Annie. DL and Twin Peaks products have been flying at us thick and fast this year. I've kept up so far but can feel myself flagging and haven't got round to ordering the Gold Box yet.

I'm actually daring myself to pack my DL collection away and spend my time and money on other things, at least for the forseeable future. I think I've reached saturation point, and if I'm honest the horrific increase in DL.com shipping fees, the lack of UK releases for books, DVDs and CDs and the circus surrounding the FWWM deleted scenes have left a bad taste in my mouth. I love the work (INLAND EMPIRE, The Air Is On Fire, Catching The Big Fish, Twin Peaks season two, Dynamic No. 1, Snowmen, David Lynch coffee etc. etc.) but every single one of these things has been imported or bought from the Air Is On Fire exhibition in Paris and being a DL 'fan' has become excessively time consuming, not to mention expensive.