Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I'm guessing this was probably discussed over and over around here and I missed the train, so if there's a specific topic covering this, just send me the link and I'll bury the subject :)

All the Lara Flynn Boyle rumors that I keep reading here and there, are they all true?
I keep reading that she was responsible for screwing up the Audrey/Cooper relationship, Donna's overnight sudden change (1st episode of season 2), and that the real reason why Kyle didn't wanted to reprise his role in FWWM had to do with her.
I find it hard to believe that she had all that influence in the creative process of the show. How much of that is true and what is gossip?
It is a fact that she and Sherilyn Fenn didn't get along, since Sherilyn never speaks about her in a nice way.
Some of you had the opportunity to speak with Sherilyn at last year's festival. Did she mention anything about what really happened, what's the real fuzz regarding Lara?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

Post by bosguy1981 »

Mark Frost came right out and confirmed this (without using her name) a year or two ago in a radio interview. It's on YouTube (in three parts) and part 1 is linked below. I don't remember which of the three parts has the reference to the Audrey/Cooper storyline being axed because of Lara Flynn Boyle but it's in there somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWQ76qthtwE
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Here's the quote from Mark Frost. (end of part 2, beginning of part 3 of the YouTube interviews). When asked whether or not the original intention was to pair up Audrey and Cooper in a romantic way:

"That was, in fact, where we were going. And when we got there, we had a little bit of a problem with our cast. And without getting too gossipy about it, somebody in the cast was involved with somebody else. And that somebody else was not overly thrilled with the idea of the somebody else having love scenes with this third somebody else. And she kind of turned the screws and put the kibosh on it. And it was a curveball that we had to react to, and react to pretty quickly."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I'm not sure I really buy that Lara was the reason that the Audrey/Cooper romance didn't happen. No matter what Frost has to say about it. Yes, I'm sure she was probably against it because we've all heard she was a little difficult and insecure. But Kyle is a big boy who made his own decisions. He has stated numerous times over the years that he very much disagreed with the idea of Cooper falling in love with, dating, and having sex with a high-school student. He felt this was out of character for Cooper, and would hurt the character in the long run.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:I'm not sure I really buy that Lara was the reason that the Audrey/Cooper romance didn't happen. No matter what Frost has to say about it.
Mark Frost was there. He is telling the truth. Twin Peaks was a huge instant hit and some people in the cast let that go to their heads. That is not conjecture on my part. That is info from cast and crew that I have interviewed over the years, mostly off the record. That story of Kyle not wanting the Audrey storyline to develop because if her age is a smokescreen. He was dating Lara and she said no. Kyle and Lara were both to blame. But it's Hollywood. Kyle was the heart of the show and changes were made.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote:I'm not sure I really buy that Lara was the reason that the Audrey/Cooper romance didn't happen. No matter what Frost has to say about it. Yes, I'm sure she was probably against it because we've all heard she was a little difficult and insecure. But Kyle is a big boy who made his own decisions. He has stated numerous times over the years that he very much disagreed with the idea of Cooper falling in love with, dating, and having sex with a high-school student. He felt this was out of character for Cooper, and would hurt the character in the long run.
I dunno. I mean, if the only objection was the sexual/romantic relationship, don't you think the writers would at least have kept Cooper and Audrey in platonic/flirtatious scenes together in season 2? The way they were suddenly separated seemed extremely strange.

Also, Kyle's body language when he's explaining this in the Gold Box DVD documentary kind of says it all. If he just objected to the age difference, I imagine he would be able to say that, confidently. Instead, he looked and acted extremely uncomfortable discussing it in that interview.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Mark Frost was there. He is telling the truth. Twin Peaks was a huge instant hit and some people in the cast let that go to their heads. That is not conjecture on my part. That is info from cast and crew that I have interviewed over the years, mostly off the record. That story of Kyle not wanting the Audrey storyline to develop because if her age is a smokescreen. He was dating Lara and she said no. Kyle and Lara were both to blame. But it's Hollywood. Kyle was the heart of the show and changes were made.
Amazing how things can happen for you when you're dating the star of the show, lol.

What about the other stuff? Donna's sudden change in season two? I heard Lara demanded some changes in her character, so she could be a match to Audrey.
Also, I don't know how much of this is true, but I also heard/read that she talked Kyle into not being a part of FWWM, saying he would be typecast with a role that would lead him nowhere, but because he was good friends with David, he only asked for his part to be as minimum as possible. But apparently, Kyle and David's friendship was a little bit shaken after that, that's why Kyle disappeared of David's movies right after FWWM.
Can anyone confirm this?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: What about the other stuff? Donna's sudden change in season two? I heard Lara demanded some changes in her character, so she could be a match to Audrey.
I wouldn't be surprised. That stuff definitely seemed to come out of nowhere early in Season 2.

And keep in mind, Lara Flynn Boyle took the job on Twin Peaks thinking she would be the only young actress on the show (besides Shelly). As Sherilyn Fenn put it, rather sarcastically, "This was supposed to be the Lara Flynn Boyle Show!"

Audrey was not in the original script for the pilot. Also, the plan to bring Sheryl Lee into the mix as Maddy didn't occur until after the pilot was finished. So it could be argued that a lot of this had to do with Lara Flynn Boyle having to share magazine covers and press attention with other actresses.

If she had any idea there would be an Audrey to compete with, maybe Lara Flynn Boyle never would have even wanted to be on the show. :wink:
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Ross wrote:I'm not sure I really buy that Lara was the reason that the Audrey/Cooper romance didn't happen. No matter what Frost has to say about it.
I agree with you Jerry- it DID go to their heads. Especially Kyle, Lara and Fenn. All thought they were going to be the next big thing. And all wanted to distance themselves from Peaks when everyone turned against it. Which is certainly part of why all three refused to take part in FWWM. But in addition to Frost being there, so was Kyle. And while I'm sure his relationship with Boyle was certainly a factor, I don't think he is lying when he says he objected to Cooper romancing and bedding a high-school student, and it was ultimately he who refused to play that out. I know I'm in the minority in thinking that a sexual relationship with Audrey was wrong for Cooper, and am glad it was scrapped- on the other hand, I also believe that dropping their friendship/mentoring completely was one of the biggest mistakes they made.
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:What about the other stuff? Donna's sudden change in season two? I heard Lara demanded some changes in her character, so she could be a match to Audrey.
Also, I don't know how much of this is true, but I also heard/read that she talked Kyle into not being a part of FWWM, saying he would be typecast with a role that would lead him nowhere, but because he was good friends with David, he only asked for his part to be as minimum as possible. But apparently, Kyle and David's friendship was a little bit shaken after that, that's why Kyle disappeared of David's movies right after FWWM.
Can anyone confirm this?
I don't think that Donna's sudden change at the start of season 2 had anything to do with Boyle. It was storyline dictated meant to show Donna taking on aspects of Laura's personality. As for FWWM, she's definitely to blame for her own refusal to take part. But I believe her and Kyle had already split by that time, correct? Kyle also wanted to distance himself from Peaks.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

If she had any idea there would be an Audrey to compete with, maybe Lara Flynn Boyle never would have even wanted to be on the show. :wink:
If she really created all that fuzz, I wish she didn't.
Too bad Lynch didn't cast Moira Kelly as Donna to begin with. She seems a lot more centered and less childish than Lara, and on top of that, a great actress, as I love her performance in FWWM.

And thanks for the link bosguy1981, never heard this audio interview before, and it's always a pleasure to listen to Mark Frost, such a polite intelligent man :)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

I don't think he is lying when he says he objected to Cooper romancing and bedding a high-school student, and it was ultimately he who refused to play that out.
But it's weird to me that Kyle refused the romance with Audrey for being a high school student, and promptly accepted the romance with Annie Blackburn, who seemed to have Audrey's same age. Was Annie supposed to be that much older?
I don't think that Donna's sudden change at the start of season 2 had anything to do with Boyle. It was storyline dictated meant to show Donna taking on aspects of Laura's personality. As for FWWM, she's definitely to blame for her own refusal to take part. But I believe her and Kyle had already split by that time, correct? Kyle also wanted to distance himself from Peaks.
I see, those were just rumors I read here and there, nothing substancial. But I do think David and Kyle's friendship might've been affected a little by Kyle's decision.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: And thanks for the link bosguy1981, never heard this audio interview before, and it's always a pleasure to listen to Mark Frost, such a polite intelligent man :)
You're welcome. I love hearing Mark's interviews. He and Lynch were such a great team.

Even though I think it's really unlikely that they'll revisit Twin Peaks together, I always hold out hope that one day they will collaborate again on something.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
I don't think he is lying when he says he objected to Cooper romancing and bedding a high-school student, and it was ultimately he who refused to play that out.
But it's weird to me that Kyle refused the romance with Audrey for being a high school student, and promptly accepted the romance with Annie Blackburn, who seemed to have Audrey's same age. Was Annie supposed to be that much older?
I see, those were just rumors I read here and there, nothing substancial. But I do think David and Kyle's friendship might've been affected a little by Kyle's decision.
Yes, Annie was supposed to be older. Suicide attempt in high-school, the convent for a while after. And yes, Lynch's and Kyle's friendship was definitely affected. Lynch was hurt by Kyle's refusal, and I think the main reason that Kyle eventually agreed at all was because of his friendship with Lynch. But I've heard it put a strain on their friendship for a while.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote:As for FWWM, she's definitely to blame for her own refusal to take part. But I believe her and Kyle had already split by that time, correct? Kyle also wanted to distance himself from Peaks.
I'm not sure when they split up, but I think it was either just before (or after) Fire Walk With Me. Maybe she dumped him because he agreed to do Fire Walk With Me. Heh. (Kidding... I hope!)

Kyle and Lara Flynn did co-star in a movie called "Where the Day Takes You" that was released a few weeks after Fire Walk With Me for what that's worth. Not sure when it was filmed.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

can you imagine if I didn't have an opinion on this?

there's so many answers I wanted for years, and then when I was able to get them they now have to respectfully stay off the record.

still boggles my mind though when you're on a hit tv show and it's that early in its run, you don't mess with what's working. The press and public were mainly talking about two things -Who Killed Laura Palmer, and what's going to happen with Cooper and Audrey.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?