Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ross wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
Ross wrote:I'm not sure I really buy that Lara was the reason that the Audrey/Cooper romance didn't happen. No matter what Frost has to say about it.
Mark Frost was there. He is telling the truth. Twin Peaks was a huge instant hit and some people in the cast let that go to their heads. That is not conjecture on my part. That is info from cast and crew that I have interviewed over the years, mostly off the record. That story of Kyle not wanting the Audrey storyline to develop because if her age is a smokescreen. He was dating Lara and she said no. Kyle and Lara were both to blame. But it's Hollywood. Kyle was the heart of the show and changes were made.
I agree with you Jerry- it DID go to their heads. Especially Kyle, Lara and Fenn. All thought they were going to be the next big thing. And all wanted to distance themselves from Peaks when everyone turned against it. Which is certainly part of why all three refused to take part in FWWM. But in addition to Frost being there, so was Kyle. And while I'm sure his relationship with Boyle was certainly a factor, I don't think he is lying when he says he objected to Cooper romancing and bedding a high-school student, and it was ultimately he who refused to play that out. I know I'm in the minority in thinking that a sexual relationship with Audrey was wrong for Cooper, and am glad it was scrapped- on the other hand, I also believe that dropping their friendship/mentoring completely was one of the biggest mistakes they made.
Very well said.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

For what it's worth, when Bob Engels did his night at the Echo Park Film Center a couple years ago (for the 20th anniversary), he also alluded to LFB being difficult and being responsible for putting the kibosh on the Cooper/Audrey relationship.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Again, I will repeat myself, but like Ross, I really don't believe LFB have played a huge role in Kyle decision, Fenn herself have already explained that Kyle decision was because the age of the character and she have absolutely no reason to say that if it was not the true reason, Lynch himself have confirmed that.

Now, Frost, Engel etc... seem to say that it was LFB decision but they don't have explained if they repeat a rumor or they have seen something themselves or they have supposed that simply because Kyle and LFB was a couple during the time of the show (the old and classic "it's his girlfriend fault if he have taken this decision" :lol: ) ...

I don't see LFB come in studio and try to menace everybody to change the story...for example Engel have already said that he was friend with her that she was lovely, I have read in Wrapped in Plastic that they were never big fights between the cast and the crew and they were friendly to each others (unlike what we can read in various board)...so I'm a little sceptical to take these kind of information like something true, specially when they seem to repeat a old rumor without give more details...like for example, why LFB was spefically against this romance and not against the romance with Annie Blackbird ? We know there are some tension between LFB and Fenn, but we don't know the reason of this tension, Frost seem to apply that she was not happy that Kyle and Fenn can have intimate moment in screen (why with her and not with Graham ?)...maybe there have been something between Kyle and Fenn and that have created the tension with her.

Kyle, unlike them, have clearly explain his point of view about the romance, Engel have clearly said that Cooper and Audrey would have been in a sexual relationship despite she was an high school girl, Kyle decision was perfectly normal in this context, the problem was imo more the writers who seem to have no idea what to do with their character after to have been forced by ABC to reveal the murder of Laura Palmer...a romance would have been too soon (they could have easily waited 2 or 3 season before to make them a real couple and make Audrey older) and it would have been really horrible for a character like Dale Cooper to sleep with an high school girl.

For Fire Walk With Me, Kyle have been hesitant to accept to be in the movie but we should don't forget that Lynch have been the first to lost interest for the TV show after the problem with ABC, Kyle have already explained that Lynch (and I think Frost too) has more or less abandonned them during the second season and that he was really not happy with that...it was the reason he have hesitated to be in the movie, but he have changed his mind and accepted to take his role again for his friendship with Lynch (without him, the project would have been cancelled)...LFB has a schedule conflict for what I have read and can't to appear in FWWM (according her blog there are few years ago) so for what I know, she don't have boycotted the movie, but Fenn have clearly stated that she has preferred to be in another movie (of Mice and Men).
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I'll scan this later, but I have in my archives, a 2002 article from The Globe. (granted, it is tabloid fodder)

TWIN PEAKS BEAUTY: MY FEUD WITH LARA FLYNN BOYLE

SEXY Sherilyn Fenn (left) reveals that beauty Lara Flynn Boyle was jealous of her when they co-starred on TV's cult-hit mystery, Twin Peaks.
Fenn, now 38, played town vamp Audrey Horne in the 1990 ABC series and had romantic scenes with an FBI agent portrayed by Kyle MacLachlan, then Boyle's real-life boyfriend.
"I think she was unhappy about me working with Kyle," says Fenn. "She seemed to hate our characters being so intimate."
Fenn says Boyle, now starring in The Practice, was so upset about the situation, she tried to get the show's story line changed.
"She was understood to have asked Kyle to get the show's creator to end our on-screen relationship," Fenn says.
The problem solved itself because the show was axed after a year's run. Boyle and MacLachlan, who later starred on Sex and the City, broke up. He went on to date cover girl Linda Evangelista and wed publicist Desiree Gruber this past April. Boyle has had an on-again, off-again romance with Jack Nicholson.
While the feud with Boyle never became an open fight, Fenn said it wasn't a good situation.
"She never said anything to me," adds Fenn, "but it put Kyle in a difficult position."
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Okay, thanks for the interview, I'm curious to see the scan, now if it's a tabloïd, it's a possibility that they have simply mixed two story and try to make a false interview (it's an old trick for the tabloïd)...because I find that curious that she don't repeat that in another interview, specially the one she have given "Democrat & Chronicle" when she have confirmed that Kyle version about the age of Audrey... in this curious interview, she have clearly that she don't said nothing directly to her...so I suppose she repeat a rumor....Sadly she don't seem to say (is she know the problem) the reason of the LFB jaleousy, Frost and her (if the interview is real) seem to indicate that she hate that Kyle and her have "intimate moment" and not what whe read in forum like "she is jealous because Fenn is the girl number one of the show"...

I think the problem it's nobody could tell the true about this story, but I think Kyle is honest with the reason he have always given.
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

You know what we say on the rumours in France? They are like probabilities, we will never really know...
A french little guy named : Dam.
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Exactly Kafard (choix très intéressant comme pseudo :mrgreen: ), it's for that I take the version of Kyle M. simply because he is the first concerned and he know better (except if Frost and Engel have the power to read in his mind) why he have taken this decision....
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

There is an explanation for the choice of my nickname. I think that you are quite smart to discover it, no?
What it inspires you?
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

mmmmhhh....Probably a mix between Kafka and "cafard" (a cockroach in french) because of his story "The Metamorphosis"...it's that or it's a new SMS style for to write "cafard". :lol:
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Excepted that this "nickname" has 14 years old.... That is easy if you speak french.
Colonel Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Colonel Cooper »

Probably no surprise here, but I disagree with blair - Kyle has to take a significant amount of the blame, along with his bloody ex. That interview of his on the documentary is revealing more for his squirming body language than his weak excuses. If he doesn't believe a word he's saying, how can we? AFAIC he must've been aware early in S1 what the ultimate intention of the Cooper/Audrey storyline was, so to then suddenly object just when it was to become the primary story on the show, either shows incredible ego or stupidity. Suddenly he knew his character better than the creators and writers? Yeah, of course.
Just Agent, Audrey. Special Agent.
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Sorry but I don't read nothing about his body language, he seem very honest for me and unlike you I have to much respect for him for to call him a liar, he have the reputation to be very easy to work and very professional (see the various interview with the Twin Peaks cast) and seem always to have a good sense humor (unlike the reputation of LFB and Fenn who was apparently difficult to work) ...imo, it's more Frost and Engel who repeat a rumor...they don't give any detail about this story and don't seem to have lot of things to tell about that.

now I have a simple question about the source of LFB complot...Who have been the source of the rumor ? We don't have any idea how this story have begun...we have a rumor about LFB who would have asked to Kyle to change the script because she don't want him to have an intimated scene with Fenn (but don't seem to have a problem with Graham).... she don't have played any direct role and have simply asked her boyfriend to do that for her (if we trust the interview of Fenn posted by Audrey Hornes)...so no direct fight, scandal or whatever the different rumors I have read in various forums...so nobody in the cast seem to have seen directly something.

...so now if we trust this story :? ...Kyle come and have asked to the writer "could you change the romance story with Audrey, it's not for me it's for my girlfriend..." :lol: , except if he have cheated her with Fenn (it's still a possibility)...I really don't see him to ask something like that so directly...so I suppose the cast who believe this story have simply deducted this version simply because some behind story between Boyle/Kyle and Fenn...see how Frost and Fenn seem to insistate that the problem was more the intimate moment who have created the jaleousy of FLB...for me that sound like a girl who don't trust his boyfriend about another girl...again if we trust this story that easily could be a possibility...

Now nobody except Kyle could be the origin of the story (it's logical, it's his decision)...but he don't have the same version of the story (and Fenn have confirmed in an interview this version too), for him it's simply the age of Audrey and how it would be immoral for his character to have a sexual relationship with an high school girl (it was confirmed by Engel)...it's a clear, logical decision about an actor who care about a TV show and for me he have done the good choice...Now why don't trust Kyle and trust Frost and Engel ? Ultimately, Kyle will always be more credible because he know why he have taken this decision, and that unlike them, he don't repeat a rumor but give simply the reason of his choice.

For to know his character, lot of writers can do a huge mistake about their own stories, change script happened everytime for tv show, movies etc from producer, actors or directors...Lynch himself have changed the Twin Peaks script during the final episode...there are nothing weird and rare to change a script.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I don't think Mark Frost and Robert Engels would use Lara Flynn Boyle's name as the source of the problem if it was only a backstage gossip. Not to mention Sherilyn Fenn speaks about Lara Flynn with a lot of grudge everytime she talks about her, so, I'm sure there was a little more to it than just plain gossip.

Some of the members here attended last year's festival, Sherilyn was there, did anyone asked her about that, off the record?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Yes, but it's off the record.

But it's basically that scene in 1981's Arthur. When millionaire Dudley Moore breaks up with Liza Minnelli, it cuts to sounds of crying. And then it's her comforting her father sobbing for his loss. Sherilyn patting me on the back telling me it will be okay.

In the end whatever it is, is whatever it is. Kyle ultimately had the final say in the matter.

The vision of the creators was for it to go one way, just like Leland killing his daughter. It wasn't a spur of the moment gimmick decision. The change was abrupt and not organic to how the series was growing. And in my opinion it suffers tremendously and ruined the show. But again, that is just my opinion.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I don't think Mark Frost and Robert Engels would use Lara Flynn Boyle's name as the source of the problem if it was only a backstage gossip. Not to mention Sherilyn Fenn speaks about Lara Flynn with a lot of grudge everytime she talks about her, so, I'm sure there was a little more to it than just plain gossip.

Some of the members here attended last year's festival, Sherilyn was there, did anyone asked her about that, off the record?
Sherilyn Fenn have clearly said, if we trust this interview, that there were no open fight between her and LFB (I have read in an interview in WIP, that there were no one big fight between the cast and crews, and that in general they were friendly to each other), the grudge she have against LFB could be from everything...Fenn and LFB, according Engel, were both nice and lovely (and probably complicated young ladies), but are simply from different light of spectrum, it was probably the first reason ...now, if we trust the Frost version, the problem was the intimate scenes between Fenn/Kyle, so the reason, regardless if Kyle and Fenn have given her a real reason to be suspicious about them, was a sexual jealousy...

If we trust the interview, she have asked Kyle to do that for her, so she have apparently don't have done that herself....so how Engel and Frost could know that it was from her ? It's Kyle that he have said that to them ? I find that a little weird that he could have said something like that directly to them.... the problem it's they don't give any explanation how they have learnt that, maybe they have simply done a parallel with another story and have done their own conclusion (it's not rare to do that) about Kyle choice...

ultimately, Kyle have another version for his decision, and I think he know a little better than them why he have refused to continue this romance....simply because it's his choice...now maybe a sexual tension between LFB/Kyle and Fenn have maybe motived him a little more, but I really think he have taken honestly his decision, simply because it was logical in the context of the TV show, specially for the continuity (see the moral speech of Cooper in episode 4 to a naked Audrey,).

For Fenn, except this interview from a tabloïd (I would have loved to see the scan Audrey Hornes) who is not the most credible source...she have said exactly the same reason that Kyle in another interview just after Twin Peaks (so I suppose, it was the reason he have given not onely to the public, but also the casts and the crews)...that the problem was the age of Audrey. Now she have maybe or not learnt something more after the 90's (from who ?), but she have clearly seen nothing herself (again it's in her interview, no open fight between her and Boyle)...

Now regardless, why Kyle have taken this decision, and I trust him simply because it's his decision, for me it was really a good choice...a sexual relationship between Cooper and an highschool girl would have ruined the show for me.