Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

blair
Roadhouse Member

Re: Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

Post by blair »

Ross wrote:
blair wrote:Sadly, the show was doomed after ABC have forced to reveal the Laura Palmer killer and the change of the day...to have Cooper sleep with an high school girl would have changed nothing about that (for me it would have been horrible to see that), and we don't have no idea if they would have done a good job about this romance (apparently Frost don't remember the detail about the story).
People always say ABC forced the revelation on them, but didn't Frost want that as well? I know he didn't agree with Lynch that that storyline shouldn't be solved. And times were very different then. It was well before multiple-season stories on TV. People were PISSED when the murder wasn't resolved earlier than it was, and felt cheated. And the show definitely lost viewers because of that.
It's not just some people, but Lynch himself who have said various time that it was before everything, the ABC decision (I don't know about Frost, Lynch have always talked about ABC for that )...:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20154190_2,00.html

I know ABC asked you and co-creator Mark Frost to wrap up the Laura Palmer murder mystery much sooner than you wanted—
About 10 years sooner! [In a previous interview with EW, Lynch revealed that his original plan was to resolve the Laura Palmer murder mystery at the very end of the series. The idea was that the ongoing investigation into Palmer's murder would reveal mysteries within mysteries to be solved, crimes within crimes to bring to justice.]

In your mind, does that tarnish the way you personally feel about the Twin Peaks experience?
For sure. Like I was saying before, the question of what happened to Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) was the goose that laid the golden egg. Then ABC asked us to snip the goose's head off, and it killed the goose. And there went everything. It was never meant to be — there was so much more to the mystery.... "

...like you say, lot of peoples don't has the patience and would have wanted to know sooner the Laura Palmer killer, but to do that would have simply killed the show earlier, it was a vicious circle...sadly, I think by the nature of the show and his particularity, TP was doomed since the day one to a short life.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote: People always say ABC forced the revelation on them, but didn't Frost want that as well? I know he didn't agree with Lynch that that storyline shouldn't be solved.
I read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer for the first time this week, and Mark Frost seems to confirm that in his new foreword. He writes, "David has always felt we made a mistake early on, giving in to heavy network pressure to solve Laura's mystery as soon as we did. I agree with him now. We let their fears become ours and it cracked the magic."
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Ross wrote: People always say ABC forced the revelation on them, but didn't Frost want that as well? I know he didn't agree with Lynch that that storyline shouldn't be solved.
I read the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer for the first time this week, and Mark Frost seems to confirm that in his new foreword. He writes, "David has always felt we made a mistake early on, giving in to heavy network pressure to solve Laura's mystery as soon as we did. I agree with him now. We let their fears become ours and it cracked the magic."
But he didn't agree with Lynch at the time. The thing is, while it would have helped the show remain more creatively cohesive, & stronger till the end, it certainly wouldn't have helped ratings. And if it had ended without a resolution to the murder, it would have been a huge bummer.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Ross wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:
But he didn't agree with Lynch at the time. The thing is, while it would have helped the show remain more creatively cohesive, & stronger till the end, it certainly wouldn't have helped ratings. And if it had ended without a resolution to the murder, it would have been a huge bummer.
I seem to recall Mark Frost saying that part of the condition that ABC renewed Twin Peaks for a second season was they had to reveal the killer early in that second season. So in that regard, it doesn't seem like they really had much of a choice really. Too bad.

Had they been able to maintain the mystery until much later in Season 2, who knows how much stronger the material/ratings would have been. Who knows what untold secrets of Laura Palmer would have been revealed, and their connections to other characters and situations, and on and on. It could have been beautiful. A second season where that was allowed to play out would have been great. Maybe introduce Harold Smith much later in season two, leading to the secret Diary.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

yeah, in a perfect world it would go on and on, and the Laura murder would take a back seat with all the other plots unfolding. But the spell David and Mark created with that image of a dead girl was so powerful that it was both a blessing and a curse. The public wanted an answer. Many felt "cheated" at the first season finale. And then felt "cheated" again during the second season premiere. You have to simply look at the series as a pioneer paving the way and making the sacrifice for other shows that take a similar path in their narrative.

That's also why it is so puzzling why MacLachlan would nix the Audrey/Cooper plot altogether. They all knew they were going into dicey territory ending the whodunit. And back in 1990 the main talk was: Who Killed Laura Palmer? Wow, did you see that backwards talking Dwarf? And when are Cooper and Audrey going to get together? So it just seemed like certain suicide to not keep the will they/won't they tease going.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Audrey Horne wrote:The public wanted an answer. Many felt "cheated" at the first season finale. And then felt "cheated" again during the second season premiere. You have to simply look at the series as a pioneer paving the way and making the sacrifice for other shows that take a similar path in their narrative.
Yeah- audiences had different expectations back then. A lot of the backlash against the show started when the killer wasn't revealed in the first season finale or second season premier. People expected it and were very upset that it didn't happen. And many just gave up on the series altogether. Its funny that now people think the mystery was solved too soon, when the biggest complaint about the show during its initial run is that they dragged it out much too long.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
blair
Roadhouse Member

Post by blair »

Yes, it's true, peoples wanted to know the murder of Laura Palmer, but again I think to reveal the killer would have simply killed the show sooner...because that would have simply given the conclusion of the show for lot of peoples and the first and main reason why peoples was curious about twin peaks, it's the identity of the murder of Laura Palmer....

I really don't believe peoples would have stayed after the hype around the first and main plot of the tv show who has "who have killed Laura Palmer ? and not "Dale Cooper love to sleep with teenage girls"....to keep Cooper/Audey romance would have changed nothing about TP...I think we shouldn't mistaken the curiousity of an general audience for controversial subject with a real interest for the tv show.

For the cast/crew, it's the change of days who have killed the show, Mark Frost have said that ABC was determinated to kill TP.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

blair wrote: I really don't believe peoples would have stayed after the hype around the first and main plot of the tv show and not "Dale Cooper love to sleep with teenage girls"....to keep Cooper/Audey romance would have changed nothing about TP...
It's incredibly disheartening that you think of it this way, how you even manged to perceive it this way is beyond me. It's almost as if you watched an entirely different show then what me and many others enjoyed.
Colonel Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Colonel Cooper »

He did watch an entirely different show, Fire, didn't you know? He watched a show in which Annie Blackburn and John Justice Wheeler were fully-rounded characters who enhanced the show with their touching romances with our two leads, Cooper and Audrey. On the other hand, you and me (and 99% of humanity) watched a show in which the ultimate Mary-Sue and Gary-Stu were shoehorned into the story at an appallingly late date to paper over the vast chasm of a derailed storyline that Lara and Kyle destroyed out of malice and stupidity.
Just Agent, Audrey. Special Agent.
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

I couldn't agree more Colonel.

I can understand if you don't share the same unadulterated vitriol that I have for Annie and Wheeler, but I cannot even fathom feeling the way that Blair feels about Cooper and Audrey. Those two were one of the prime movers and shakers of Twin Peaks and for some people they WERE Twin Peaks.
dugpa
Site Admin

Lara Flynn Boyle rumors, all true?

Post by dugpa »

All right folks. This thread looks like it is going to get ugly. Locking it to keep the peace.