The Artist

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Rebel
Great Northern Member

The Artist

Post by Rebel »

I wanna see this film! anyone else?
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Re: The Artist

Post by BOB1 »

I saw it a few days ago. Found it great! After leaving the cinema I was so enthusiastic that I wanted to dance in the street :D

What can I say - it's just highly entertaining. It's not really artistic, definitely not in the bad meaning, but actually in none. OK, the idea itself is avant-garde: black and white alright... but who'd normally think of making a silent movie these days?! So there is a concept. But the realisation of the concept is surprisingly natural - the film bears no sign of snobbery, it is as far from pretentious as possible and after having watched I went on recommending this film to everyone including children at our school (I'm a teacher and so is my wife) because I find it suitable for everyone who likes to listen to a good story. So what if they don't talk? The film proves you can well tell a story without words (though there are words of course, like in a traditional silent movie). It's not even as funny as I expected (because drifting towards slapstick is rather safe ground - people ALWAYS enjoy slapstick). It's just... enjoyable.

Keeping my fingers crossed for The Artist on the Oscar night!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

I'm intrigued by it and definitely want to see it... On the other hand Bopper here loved it so... :wink:
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

But there are no ambiguous things there like whether the protagonist is going to marry the girl and later kill her, you know; it's a simple story. On the other hand in Twin Peaks it's also a pretty clear thing and yet you find a way to read more into it than Cooper and Annie say, well...
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

Good ol' BOB1... Even in unrelated threads he brings up the subject... That's the spirit! :D

Now...

[waves hand]

You want to go home and rethink your life...
Gordon
Roadhouse Member

Post by Gordon »

I just saw it and...I loved it! :D I also wanted to dance after seeing it! :D

I love silent movies, the "real" ones I mean, and I was afraid they didn't capture the unique mood of those films properly; well, they did a wonderful job, the actors are great, the way it's done, everything... Looks like something King Vidor or Lubitsch had directed... It feels classic...

It's not a masterpiece, but it made me smile many times... We need films like this... :wink:
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Happy to hear that, Gordon! I don't find it exactly a masterpiece, either, but... well, every word you said!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB