Finally read the Dune novel

Discussion of Dune

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Finally read the Dune novel

Post by Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob »

The first time i tried to read Dune, it just didn't grab me. But, I picked it up recently and really loved it! Great book, if you've never read it.

I'd seen bits and pieces of Lynch's Dune film, years ago, but didn't want to spoil it for myself by watching it all before reading the book. But, now I'm going to go back and watch the film in its entirety (or, as close as I can get - I wish Lynch could do a Director's Cut of Dune!).

I remember some neat images and scenes from the film, but I've also learned that Lynch added a few things to the film that were not in the book. I'm sure he had his reasons for doing so, but to me, it doesn't seem necessary, as the book was so rich to draw from. There are other filmed versions of Dune out now, so, I'll give those a look at some point, I'm sure

Now, I've got to check out the anniversary re-issue of the Dune novel, as there was a lot of material cut from it, as well. Anyone know what was cut from the original Dune novel, and is it worth reading the reissue?
"Now it's dark....."
Melong
RR Diner Member

Re: Finally read the Dune novel

Post by Melong »

Annie should be able to answer that last question. I'm interested in the answer as well. Should someone who's never read Dune pick up this re-issue instead? Is this the Dune 40th Anniversary Edition we're talking about?
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Melong wrote:Is this the Dune 40th Anniversary Edition we're talking about?
I believe so - or whichever one has the cut parts put back in.
"Now it's dark....."
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I don't think it's any different. As I understand it, when they were rummaging through the vaults of Frank Herbert's Dune 7 outline, they used that for all the new books and also their imaginations to write so many new books. I have never read anywhere that Frank's son would presume to change words that his father wrote and won awards for. But I'll ask over at the DUNE forum and if I hear anything, I will post it here.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote: Now, I've got to check out the anniversary re-issue of the Dune novel, as there was a lot of material cut from it, as well. Anyone know what was cut from the original Dune novel, and is it worth reading the reissue?
There was nothing cut from the re-issue of the novel. An introduction was added written by Brian Herbert. Official word from Byron Merritt, moderator of the Dune boards.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Well, I settled on the UK SF Masterworks edition. It's a nice pocket sized hardcover without dustjacket.
Attachments
holdingdunebooklowres.jpg
holdingdunebooklowres.jpg (400.08 KiB) Viewed 23085 times
0575081503.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
0575081503.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg (25.31 KiB) Viewed 23085 times
Last edited by Melong on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Nice little hardback!

However, if you want to post pictures in here and have them stay, please post as an attachment (then it's a permanent part of the forum.)
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

They are not my photographs, so I linked, but I think it's safe to say the extra traffic for Henrik Sahlström's blog will be light. :wink:

Here is the piece on his blog. It also contains the original cover art made by this person as fan art and later used by the publisher.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

If he ever takes his blog down, we will be left with red X's instead of pictures. Just an FYI.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

OK. I see your point. Fixed. :)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks! It just keeps it neater in here.
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Nice looking book! Thanks for posting that.
Melong wrote:Well, I settled on the UK SF Masterworks edition. It's a nice pocket sized hardcover without dustjacket.
"Now it's dark....."
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob
Roadhouse Member

Not the reissue - I mean the first publication of Dune. I heard that parts were cut the first time around, and that a republication added them back ;)
Annie wrote:
Bob_Dobbs_Blue_Bob wrote: Now, I've got to check out the anniversary re-issue of the Dune novel, as there was a lot of material cut from it, as well. Anyone know what was cut from the original Dune novel, and is it worth reading the reissue?
There was nothing cut from the re-issue of the novel. An introduction was added written by Brian Herbert. Official word from Byron Herbert, moderator of the Dune boards.
"Now it's dark....."
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I think it's just another rumor, but I'll go over to Dunenovels.com and ask Byron.
No answer so far.
Colonel Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Colonel Cooper »

Before Dune was published in 1965 it was serialized over several issues of 'Analog' magazine between 1963 and 1965 - part one, 'Dune World' over three issues; part two, 'Prophet of Dune' over five issues.

Frank Herbert did some re-writing for the fix-up of the two parts to make the original novel in 1965, but it's been the same ever since. There was nothing cut out, so there's nothing to put back in.

There are differences between U.S. and U.K. editions of the last two Dune novels, 'Heretics' and 'Chapter House,' but the first four are, and always have been, the same as originally published.
Just Agent, Audrey. Special Agent.