Gay & Lesbian Elements in Twin Peaks?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Killing The Shadows

Gay & Lesbian Elements in Twin Peaks?

Post by Killing The Shadows »

Hello everybody, this is a wonderful site. I'm a big Twin Peaks fan. Does anyone else agree with me that there were homoerotic elements/gay interest in Twin Peaks? The most obvious Lynch homoerotic element came in Mulholland DR. of course in the lesbian sex scene. But I feel there were many in Twin Peaks such as Agent Cooper and Harry, and of course I read somewhere about a lesbian connection between Josie and Laura Palmer? Did anyone else read about this - I think possibly it may have been alluded to in the Laura Palmer Diary.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

It is defintely alluded to in The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, as is an encounter with Blackie. I would also say that FWWM suggests Ronette, Theresa and Laura have been involved beyond what we see.

I don't think there's any real homoerotic elements to the Harry/Cooper relationship - they're much more like brothers than anything else.
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

It always seemed to me that Cooper and Truman were completely in love.
barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

I tend to agree, but I might use different words. (And yes, the Falling love theme plays, during the scene with Harry and Cooper at the bar...)
Speaking of love: the emotional and the sexual aspect don't necessarily add up to something homo- or heterosexual. Then of course, there's the metaphysical quality, and Albert's "confession".

Very few reviewers used the term "lesbian" when writing about Mulholland Dr. An to a degree, it isn't about that but more about male erotic fantasies.

In Twin Peaks, the approach seems quite playful at times, although I doubt that Denis(e) is Lynch's input, but I may be wrong.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I think Cooper and Truman had a deep respect for each other. Let's not forget that Cooper was only in town for a few weeks! In my mind there was certainly no sexual attraction to each other, that is simply ludicrous. Yes, there was the Laura/Josie scene in the diary, however, in the series itself i belive there to be no gay subtexts at all.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Azemaria Jones

Post by Azemaria Jones »

It always seemed to me that Cooper and Truman were completely in love.
But I feel there were many in Twin Peaks such as Agent Cooper and Harry

I wouldn't say they are completely in love, but, they "love" each other in a very brotherly...but after that I discovered something called "Slash" and now I think there are something.... ^ ^
And yes, the Falling love theme plays, during the scene with Harry and Cooper at the bar...)
He he he he yes I noted this detail :mrgreen:

So you know I think that Coop and Harry woulk make a great couple !

As for Laura ronnette and Josie, yes it's obvious in the diary.

Haa, now I will go to bed while dreaming about Coop/Harry. Or maybe Harry/Coop...
4_8_15_16_23_42
Ben Linus suporter.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

There is definitely, in my opinion, a slight homoerotic angle to Cooper and Truman's friendship. But I think it is unintentional, and I would have to agree with other comments here, that it was more a brotherly love/affection than anything else!! However, having said that, I do recall a scene early in first season (very early) where Coop is in conference room with Harry. He touches Harry on shoulder, then tweaks his nose! All very playful, typical of Cooper in a silly mood. But I remember thinking watching that - hey, they actually could be a couple! :P

Not sure if there's any other gay references in TP. Duchovny in drag was even played very much as a straight man in a dress!

Finally, regarding Mulholland Drive, I would have to agree with barryconvex - definitely more about male wish fulfillment than anything genuinely lesbian!! And Lynch has played with this before, most recently when Laura Dern and the Polish girl kiss briefly towards the end of Inland Empire.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Um, hello -Blackie and Audrey -"pick a card..." and let me just relax my hand here and let it linger.

And then the classic, "And what is your type, exactly?"

Audrey thinks for a second and responds, "Not you. ...no offense."
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

"Not you. ...no offense."
That one always makes me laugh out loud!:lol:

As an addendum to my previous comment, I agree that there was probably no intended homoerotic subtext between Harry and Dale, but none the less, it came across... in addition to the palsie walsie, brotherly love that people seem to feel much more comfortable with.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Audrey Horne wrote:Blackie and Audrey -"pick a card..." and let me just relax my hand here and let it linger.
How could i forget that scene? Let's remember Hank and Ernie's suspicious buck hunting trip. Was drug running just a flimsy excuse to spend some time together? They did meet in jail after all...
Cordon Gole

Post by Cordon Gole »

Jerry Horne wrote:How could i forget that scene? Let's remember Hank and Ernie's suspicious buck hunting trip. Was drug running just a flimsy excuse to spend some time together? They did meet in jail after all...
Norma: "Did you catch anything?"
Ernie: "I hope not."

Perhaps he wasn't referring to the ladies of One Eyed Jack's?
DayLight

Post by DayLight »

Did anyone notice in FWWM when Laura goes to Donna's after their night in Partyland, that right before Leland picks up Laura, it looks like they're about to kiss? I always got that impression.
barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

Yes, you are right, there is mostly definitely an erotic tension in the air between Donna and Laura in this scene. But I guess, it's up to the viewer whether it's foremost Leland's imagination or not. (If I remember correctly, the flashback with Leland's memory to Laura sitting smiling on the bed near Teresa follows directly after this.)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

charles wrote:
but none the less, it came across... in addition to the palsie walsie, brotherly love that people seem to feel much more comfortable with.

Agreed.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

My favorite scene between Audrey and Blackie:

Blackie: You can go to your room now. Wait until you hear the bell.

Audrey: Just like high school?

Blackie: Very much like high school, in that you go where i tell you to go and you do as your told...or you'll be disciplined.