Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Twinpeaksgame

Re: Twin Peaks reboot in the works?

Post by Twinpeaksgame »

I don't like his style at all first. Second he is entering in a territory where real masters before him have done true masterpieces (AKA Lynch, Hitchcock, Polansky, Demme)

Lot of things make a Thriller a very good Thriller. Hitchcock is considered the master of suspense by Truffaut, but those were different years... Lynch for me is the supreme master of Thriller.

This Night whatever is nothing in front of Lynch. He's trying to make a sort of Twin Peaks revival? Ok... he will fail.

I don't know if you have seen lot of recent movie remakes, but if you understand a little bit of cinema history they all suck compared to the original ones.

So Mr. director, GOOD LUCK.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

This really, really bums me out. It's basically as if they are saying 'Look, let's make a cheap Twin Peaks rip off and take out all of the stuff the network didn't like the first time around, and give it to a washed up director we can control."
I will be totally ignoring this, but I'm guessing they are making it different enough so they can't be sued? And didn't we already see this story once before, in the form of The X-Files?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

You can add 'Wolf Lake' and 'Happy Town' to that list.

I've honestly just gotten used to it.

Only Twin Peaks can top Twin Peaks.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I don't think The X-Files was a total rip-off. I actually think Chris Carter & co. found the perfect way to take some of that creepy/weird TP magic and do something a bit different with it, and actually ended up making something a bit more accessible and durable in the long-term (though don't get me wrong, I'll take TP over XF any day).

But yes, this sounds more like another Happy Town/Wolf Lake/Push Nevada/Wild Palms/etc to me.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Fire
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fire »

I am both utterly fascinated and very scared of the possibility of Twin Peaks somehow coming back to life. And this is coming from an extreme fan of only three years, I can't imagine what you long time fans could be feeling as 25 years is so close around the corner!

I'll be surprised if M. Night Shamalamadingdong's show is anything more then a flash in the pan.
mark84
Roadhouse Member

Post by mark84 »

I hope they leave it well alone. I thought it left it in a great place, the town of Twin Peaks was changed forever with that last episode and I'd hate them to go in a make a bunch of crappy episodes that we can all moan about.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Either Lynch is involved, or I don't even wanna know about this.
Lynch is the soul behind Twin Peaks. Mark Frost, Bob Engels, nah, it's Lynch.
We all saw what happened to the show when Lynch stepped away. Twin Peaks is just not Twin Peaks without him, period.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

I'll have to admit that I would love to see this thing happening for real. I've seen so many seasons of TP in my dreams in these past decades that it would be just amazing to watch a real one :)

Of course this can't and shouldn't be done without Lynch but I think that also Frost is almost equally important. That is what Lynch himself have said also, again and again. The show needed those both apsects. Even though I truly love FWWM, I still think they should work together.

IF that duo gets together and really does something I trust them completely. Frost would be there to bring more cohesive narrative and Lynch would bring the magic. As much as I love INLAND EMPIRE, I don't wish TP to go entirely to that direction but even in that case I'm sure it will give me my fix, so to speak. I think the world of cinema is in a dire need of another Lynch film.

All we can do is hope, so lets do that! :)
Mastershake
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mastershake »

Twinpeaksgame

Post by Twinpeaksgame »

I think that "the gum you like gonna come back in style" it may be a sort of prophecy! :)

Each of us has chewed that gum once... and now is coming back
SiderealPassing

Post by SiderealPassing »

Any new word on a third season? I can't seem to find anything definitive online. I'm afraid I'd wind up disappointed if David Lynch and/or Mark Frost don't live up to their original vision but the idea is exciting either way.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

SiderealPassing wrote:Any new word on a third season? I can't seem to find anything definitive online. I'm afraid I'd wind up disappointed if David Lynch and/or Mark Frost don't live up to their original vision but the idea is exciting either way.
All indications seem to be no. Mark Frost and Jennifer Lynch both shot down the rumor a few months ago, although Mark Frost likes to tease viewers about how "Twin Peaks is a continuing story." I think he means that sincerely, and yet I don't think it should be taken as if there are any plans to actually continue it as a series or any other means.

I believe it's been confirmed that Kyle just signed up as a regular on a new TV series (JJ Abrams, I think?) so that would seem to indicate Agent Cooper's tied up with other things.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

The door has never been shut it seems, but yeah, I am not holding my breath. Let's say theoretically both Mark and David wanted to do it - that is the first large step of many that would have to happen for anything to come to life.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

In an era where Veronica Mars can get reborn by the show's creator putting a fundraising request on Kickstarter, anything is possible. The only problem with a new Lynch Twin Peaks is that he's so damned erratic: we could end up with a joyous miniseries in the style of the TV show, a bleak masterpiece like FWWM or, frankly, three hours of DVCam weirdness in the style of Inland Empire. Whatever way, some fans will love it, many will hate it and many more will pretend to like it even if they don't really!!
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Even though they're still friendly, I just personally doubt Mark Frost and David Lynch are going to write something together again. Anything is possible, certainly. But it just seems like they had their time together as creative partners, and that time ended, and I doubt they'll revisit that. David in particular.

Again, anything can happen. But I just doubt it. If David felt free to revisit Twin Peaks on his own in film (without Mark), as he did in Fire Walk With Me, I think that would sort of be the most logical way for it to happen. But it seems like doing a Twin Peaks project without Mark was a one-time thing and I also doubt that would happen again.

Just my two cents.