Share your favourite FAN THEORIES

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ARIaddict

Share your favourite FAN THEORIES

Post by ARIaddict »

Hello, everybody! Glad to finally join in on the fun of this fantastic forum I've enjoyed from afar for many years.

I thought it would be fun to hear from all of you, what are some of the most creative Twin Peaks fan-theories that you've either had or heard over the years? Feel free to share anything, including ones you may not agree with. I'm just so curious to hear what elaborate ideas people have had. I'll start us off with one of my favourites:

The White Lodge is actually our world, and the "spirits that reside over man and nature" reside in the woods surrounding Twin Peaks. Only the Black Lodge is on the other side of the portals, and the WL spirits do not fully understand it much better than we do, which is why they send people like Garland Briggs inside in order to learn more.

I've got plenty more, but let's hear from some of you lovely folks, first!
Love is worth dying for.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Re: Share your favourite FAN THEORIES

Post by perno »

Nice one even though it doesn't make sense to me. :)

I've read once that the whole first part of FWWM (all the part with Chester Desmond) was Cooper's dream about the investigation HE made himself earlier (dreaming of himself as Desmond).
Even if I disagree, I have to say that it makes sense for some points at least. :)
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
Smiling Bag
Roadhouse Member

Post by Smiling Bag »

The "Coopers Dream" theory as being the first half of FWWM is interesting. Several things of note:

Chester Desmond's initials are CD which are the "backward" version of Dale Cooper DC. Lynch likes dream logic to be backwards
The other thing that I went mad doing one day was scrambling the word Deer Meadow. You can make "We Do Dream" or "Do We Dream" out of the letters.

Just two thoughts that "could" support that theory.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

I was aware of the CD/DC trick (there are others like the fact that 2 sentences are repeated twice in this part of the movie or the fact that DM is the exact opposite of TP...) but I can't see how this fits with the disappearance of Chester Desmond which is announced when everybody is awake... Nor do I see why Cooper would go to DM to investigate a second time...

Anyway... the anagram is pretty cool! :)
ARIaddict

Post by ARIaddict »

Yes, I rather like that theory. I know that Chester Desmond's character was a rewrite based on Kyle being uninterested in participating. That's why I haven't bothered racking my brains trying to understand his disappearance. I think it's just a literal way of Lynch saying "okay, we are done with you, Des", and has nothing really to do with the mythology.
Love is worth dying for.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

ARIaddict wrote:I think it's just a literal way of Lynch saying "okay, we are done with you, Des", and has nothing really to do with the mythology.
Actualy, I don't think you can say that.
I mean... Lynch is known to use an unsuspected event and use it greatly. Even if Kyle was meant to play this part of the movie, it doesn't mean that Desmond is a ghost whom we should not care about.

I don't have the original script and I don't know how this part should have ended but I would not be surprised if the first part of the movie was designed as a dream when Lynch thought Kyle would accept to play it... Which doesn't mean it is still the case now. :)
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

Unrelated point, just couldn't find a more suitable thread to post it on and didn't think it needed its own thread:

Does anyone think that the character "Theresa" in TP/FWWM might have been have got her name from Frost/Lynch thinking of Theresa Russell, who was a well-known actress in the late 80s/early 90s? I always thought the styling and appearance of the actress in FWWM resembled T Russell.
Twinpeaksgame

Post by Twinpeaksgame »

I sustain the theory of Native, Comanches, Shaman spirits. Like the legend sorrounding Jim Morrison (He tought a Shaman entered in his mind, sort of possession). If you think to Shining, the Overlook Hotel is built over an old native cemetery.

I think Lynch loves this mystical mixture of spirituality and concrete horror and misteries.

There are several elements in the series related to the native americans, from the basilar mind of Johnny Horne to the most complex characters like Little man or Mike, not to talk about Hawk himself :) If the series would continue I'd like to explore more this aspect.

I've tried to share this theory also in the second episode of my game...