OFFICIAL List of Special Features for "Definitive Gold Box"

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Seriously, 'Northwest Passage': Creating The Pilot....I would sell my first begotten child just to see that!!!! I'm so f-ing excited about this set!
...though it's too bad about the cover art if that truly is the final design 'blegh!
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

jmichael wrote:
LeoFaraon wrote:What is "Holiday and patriot greeting" anyway?
I believe these are short spots featuring the cast wishing happy holidays and well wishes to the troops (Probably in Iraq, as the first Gulf War began during the series run). I don't know for sure if these ran on ABC or were for limited circulation.

As for the Georgia Coffee commercials - I think Jerry is right - there are 4 ads. The TVShowsOnDVD press release says there's 5, DigitalBits says 3. Either way, I think we'll be getting everything that was made for that particular campaign.
Sure hope we get all the Coffee commercials. I would think we would, but it seems weird that its listed as 3 or 5.

I remember the "Holiday" ad from the series run. It was a very short spot that ran a few times on ABC around the Holidays during the second season (ironically the series itself got preemted all thoughout the holiday season). Anyway, it showed the RR with some stuff floating around and said "Happy Holidays from Twin Peaks" or something. I only saw it once back in 1990. I never saw (or heard of for that matter) the patriot greeting. Its a good guess though that it was a support clip for troops in the Gulf War.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So only four deleted scenes huh? Considering I never thought we'd get any, I can't complain. So which ones do people think they will be? I'm not real sure what all was filmed (the cuts in FWWM have been documented much more).

I'm thinking the Lucy/Andy ordering donuts scene, simply because its on YouTube, and I think it was a late deletion from the episode because the synopsis that appeared in TV Guide back when the episode aired referenced the scene.

I would guess the scene with James & his mom. Because its been talked about by the writers, and they actually tried to use it in more than one episode. Plus, and most importantly, the scene is actually mentioned/referenced by James in the series.

Maybe one of the discarded scenes with Audrey & the Johnny plot.

I'm guessing we WON'T see Ben killing Maddy. I doubt Lynch wants people to see that. Plus I doubt it was ever edited at all, so it probably only exists in very raw form.
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

Sounds very cool so far. I'm disappointed in the lack of deleted scenes, & that they're still using that awful cover art, although, aslong as the rest of the bonus content is as top notch as it sounds, then I'd be less annoyed at them.

I'm certainly surprised that the trading cards are part of the photo galleries. Didn't expect them to be on there. The feature with what the locations look like today sounds quite cool aswell. Hope Amazon has this available to pre order soon.
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

That is interesting, but frankly, i would sacrifice some of those features (most of them are already avaiable on YouTube and torrents), for some "new" stuff. What about the soundtrack for season 2? what has happened to it? For me, the music was very much the soul to the series.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Auggeo wrote:That is interesting, but frankly, i would sacrifice some of those features (most of them are already avaiable on YouTube and torrents), for some "new" stuff. What about the soundtrack for season 2? what has happened to it? For me, the music was very much the soul to the series.
As far as we know, it's finished and will be distributed (along with the Inland Empire soundtrack) as soon as some legal matters are cleared.

To me, this box is a great mix of old and new stuff. There's a ton of new documentaries - including one dedicated just to the music!
Teopeaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Teopeaks »

But what a horrible artwork. The color gold does not evoke anything within the Twin Peaks universe, it just does not match.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

I can live with the artwork for the box. Especially after reading Lynch's take on it:

"Finally the pilot is together with the series. The picture looks clean with good color correction. The sound is really good," said David Lynch. "I think this is a great definitive Twin Peaks Gold Set - the Gold represents the highest quality. A lot of work has gone in to this, and in my opinion it has really paid off."
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

I can just hear him saying it too - with no irony or pretense - truthfully saying it's as good as gold.
charles
RR Diner Member

Post by charles »

Though he may agree with the concept of associating gold quality with Twin Peaks, I have a great deal of trouble swallowing the idea that David Lynch is truly down with that cover design. We're talking about a guy who's obsessive attention to visual mood and detail could not, in my opinion, jell with the likes of that thrown together, cheap cover art 'which, by the way, has to have been created by someone who has never even seen the show...

...in the end, all I really care about is getting my hands on those dvds 'gold, platinum or puce...hell, I'd buy the Definitive Banana Split edition!
Last edited by charles on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pvilmur
Roadhouse Member

Post by pvilmur »

As luck would have it, Oct 30 is the same day my book is due to hit shelves (and yes, this was a shameless plug to push a Star Wars book in a Twin Peaks forum) :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/0061257311 ... d_i=507846

Looks like the 30th will be a red letter day for me.

Pete
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Congrats Pete!! That's super-cool!!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
John

Post by John »

All I can say is "Wow!" I'm pretty impressed with what's coming in this definitive box set.

A couple of thoughts:

I'm thrilled the SNL sketch and monologue will be included. The sketch may be the best of all the parodies of Twin Peaks.

Beymer's photos are a great extra. Most were taken during the filming of the final episode and they provide a unique glimpse behind the scenes of one of the best episode of the series. Beymer also took a few photos of the "No place like home" ad. Don't know if those will be included but I'm glad the ad is. I'm pretty sure Lynch directed it.

Beymer also had video footage of the filming of the pilot. So I wonder if any of that made it into the "Northwest Passage" documentary. This could be a great extra. I know that a professional photographer named Paul Dudley was also on set and took some amazing photos [See Wrapped In Plastic 75]. He also supposedly took some video. If (and this is strictly speculation) Dudley's photos and video were used along with Beymer's--well, this would an unprecedented look at the pilot. (Please, again, don't get your hopes up--I'm guessing at all of this).

Can't wait to see any deleted scenes--even if there are only four. My preference would be for some of the great early first season stuff. (Especially the scene in which Dr. Jacoby and Sylvia Horne discuss how Audrey pushed Johnny down the stairs when she was a little girl. Audrey secretly watches this exchange.) There's lots of other cool scenes I'd like to see: the extended rock throwing where we actually see Cooper circle the R on the blackboard; or the Lynch-directed scene in which the One-armed man is brought into Harold Smith's home to see if he can detect Bob; or, of course, the scene with James's mother (which is kind of essential since it was cut twice--and actually referenced the second time).

The 1-900 promo ad is fascinating. This ad discussed the The Twin Peaks Hotline which people could call every week to hear characters (voiced by the actual actors) recap events on the previous week's episode. I'd love to hear the actual hotline entries. (See WIP 20 for a complete transcript of all the Hotline entries.)

The Georgie Coffee commercials along with the Log Lady intros (and prob. some of the other commercials) gives us all the Lynch-directed TV material in one place. That, to my mind, is definitive. Could we dare hope for a definitive FWWM?

Can't wait for Oct 30! (And Pete, your book looks cool!)

John
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

When i went to the fest in '94 i picked up two incredible postcards by Paul that had an actual photograph stuck on and hand signed by him. One shows the crew filming outside by the big log. The other is a shot of the crew filming the audrey pecil/cup scene. Very nice. I tried contacting him a few months ago to ask if he sells the photos, but i've heard nothing.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

charles wrote:Though he may agree with the concept of associating gold quality with Twin Peaks, I have a great deal of trouble swallowing the idea that David Lynch is truly down with that cover design. We're talking about a guy who's obsessive attention to visual mood and detail could not, in my opinion, jell with the likes of that thrown together, cheap cover art 'which, by the way, has to have been created by someone who has never even seen the show...
I'd agree, except I'm pretty sure Lynch OK'd the FWWM (US) one-sheet poster. Which I still think is a terrible poster. A badly done photoshop mess. I just think the movie deserved something better, classier, and better designed.