unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fire
Roadhouse Member

Re: unanswered questions / mistakes / etc.

Post by Fire »

From what I can tell, it refers to James.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

When I noticed this...it made my day! Lucy Morgan!
Attachments
Foto2617.jpg
Foto2617.jpg (128.88 KiB) Viewed 14414 times
Roomservice...
waldo

Post by waldo »

Fire wrote:From what I can tell, it refers to James.
on the series, coop's final bet is on james but in the film laura only meets james because he calls her at the last minute, making it seem that they didn't have nothing scheduled for that night.
Achievement is its own reward, pride obscures it.
Mastershake
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mastershake »

I always thought J was for Johnson...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

piero wrote:When I noticed this...it made my day! Lucy Morgan!
I also noticed that Albert's last name vacillates between "Rosenfield" and "Rosenfeld," depending on the episode.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

To me, the biggest flub is Cooper's explanation of his dream to Truman and Lucy in Episode 3. Drives me nuts that it fell through the cracks, especially when you look at how tightly executed the first season is. Probably all due to the editing of Episode 2, but still there was plenty of time to make it right.
Smiling Bag
Roadhouse Member

Post by Smiling Bag »

The dream sequence is related to my annoyance at the handling of the "T" under Theresa's fingernail that was not mentioned in the "real" timeline of the show (Sans Euro ending) until the "Albert recap of all that had happened to date sequence". "You'll recall he placed the letter "T" under TB's fingernail". I HATED that. It is like they thought we already KNEW that somehow.
Brie and Butter
Roadhouse Member

Post by Brie and Butter »

Seeing the Miss Twin Peaks episode yesterday reminded me of something else I've always wondered -- how Audrey got away with just giving a speech and standing in line at the end instead of having to do the Pinkle Shuffle like everyone else.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Brie and Butter wrote:Seeing the Miss Twin Peaks episode yesterday reminded me of something else I've always wondered -- how Audrey got away with just giving a speech and standing in line at the end instead of having to do the Pinkle Shuffle like everyone else.
Totally!! And how Sherilyn Fenn herself managed to get away with it. I'm wondering if she just flat-out refused to do most of the pageant sequence.

And I know someone mentioned it earlier already, but it really bugs me how Donna has her world shattered backstage and runs away in tears...only to go show up back on stage with a big smile on her face squealing with the other girls moments later when they announce the winner. Ridiculous.

And finally, if Cooper and Truman realized that whoever won the Miss Twin Peaks pageant would be Earle's next victim and possibly be used to open up a portal to a hellish alternate universe...why not just shut down the pageant altogether? They arrived in more than enough time to stop it. Why let it keep going when they know it's a big death trap? It's not like it's the Miss America pageant, it would have been easy enough to pull the plug on a rinky-dink small-town thing. And they also know full well that Earle is going to strike at any minute, yet they still get taken completely by surprise once he does, which strikes me as a bit haphazard. Did they have no plan in place as to what they would do once Earle showed up?

(Having said that, I'm thrilled they didn't since then we wouldn't have the masterful finale, but just if we're going to be story logic nazis...)
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I believe all of Lucy's lines were original Audrey's in the script -"What exactly are we celebrating?" Fenn thought the whole thing was dumb (rightfully so) -but Lynch and co demanded the character had to be there.

And I know it's not an unaswered question, but I just want to complain about the mystery and the clues we had followed for months meant nothing in seeing Cooper put it all together when he simply gets the answer through "my father killed me." What a cop out!
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Brie and Butter
Roadhouse Member

Post by Brie and Butter »

Beginning to think about FWWM and possible continuity / plot discrepancies. Obviously, there are things that are referred to in the series that aren't included in the movie -- Laura recording tapes for Jacoby; the James/Donna/Laura picnic -- but one thing I wish they would have shown was Leo calling Shelly and lying that he was in Butte. Also, if Leo had his 'Vette the night Laura was killed, where's his truck? And shouldn't Shelly notice that Leo's 'Vette and truck were both AWOL?
waldo

Post by waldo »

what about leo's shirt? what about waldo pecking on laura's shoulder?
Achievement is its own reward, pride obscures it.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Brie and Butter wrote:
UNANSWERED/HUH? MOMENTS

Who beats up Dr. Jacoby, and why? (Frost has hinted that it's Leland, but why wouldn't have he have worn the ski mask in the hospital too? More importantly, wouldn't he have freaked out after seeing Maddy, who was dressed up like his dead daughter?)
I know, I know. I asked this question many times among Peaks fans and I always get the same answer: "Mark Frost said it was Leland, he's the co-creator, we believe him. Period".
I don't want to be the annoying fan who wants to argue with the show creator but I have my reasons to believe that initially the ski mask man was not MEANT to be Leland, but a character the writers would further develop in season 2. I think that during the season 1 - 2 gap they dropped the character for some reason and decided to hint the attack on Leland with Jacoby saying he smelled engine oil in the park.
Brie and Butter wrote:Who is with Leo when he meets with Mike and Bobby in the woods?
If you watch that scene closely you can see that's the same man from the Jacoby attack. Same ski mask. Hard to believe Leland would be in the woods with Leo during a drug deal.
And to reinforce what I'm saying, there's a deleted scene from episode 7 where ski mask man is watching Donna, Maddy and Eileen through a window at Donna's house and he tries to break in. Even under the influence of BOB there was no need for Leland to break in as he was very welcomed at the Hayward's.

TheArm wrote:Not only is Donna asked to pass the peas more times than is reasonable, but that huge dinner bowl is full of peas, more than 3 people would need. Perhaps they could unlock Harriet and Gersten from the basement and let them have some? :)
LMAO here

A few more:

- They never explained why Maddy's parents never showed up to Laura's funeral.

- It's impossible to fit a woman's body in the golf bag Leland used to hide Maddy. Not to mention he carries the bag around so easily. Maddy was thin and short, but come on, it's a human body, lol.

And maybe not a mistake, but this always bothered me:

- Donna and James appear to say goodbye to Maddy in episode 15, Leland says she's already gone and asks if they weren't supposed to be there last night. Wouldn't be risky to kill Maddy in the night she was expecting people to come over?
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Brie and Butter wrote:Who beats up Dr. Jacoby, and why? (Frost has hinted that it's Leland, but why wouldn't have he have worn the ski mask in the hospital too? More importantly, wouldn't he have freaked out after seeing Maddy, who was dressed up like his dead daughter?)
I know, I know. I asked this question many times among Peaks fans, and I always get the same answer: "Mark Frost said that was Leland, he's the co-creator so we believe him. Period".
I don't want to be the annoying fan who wants to argue with the show creator, but I have my reasons to believe that initially, that ski mask man was not MEANT to be Leland, but a character the writers would develop during season 2. I think that during the season 1 - season 2 gap, they dropped the character for some reason, so decided to hint the attack on Leland, with Jacoby saying he felt the engine oil, to fill the hole.
Don't think so.
If you watch carefully, you can see one very interresting thing... When the scooby gang makes its plan to go at Jacoby's, they're all at the Palmers'. And Leland is right behind them, in the shadow (sitting in the couch). They don't know it, but he can hear it all. And, obviously, its look shows us that he is under BOB's influence.
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

perno wrote:Don't think so.
If you watch carefully, you can see one very interresting thing... When the scooby gang makes its plan to go at Jacoby's, they're all at the Palmers'. And Leland is right behind them, in the shadow (sitting in the couch). They don't know it, but he can hear it all. And, obviously, its look shows us that he is under BOB's influence.
Actually, 'the scooby gang' made their plans to go to Jacoby's during the day at the Hayward's dining room after listening to Laura's tapes.
The scene you're referring to happens later in the evening when we see Maddy sneaking out of the Palmer house. Then we see Leland sitting in the dark.
But I disagree, I don't think he looked like under BOB's influence.

This is Leland under BOB's influence, watching Laura sneak out:

And here's the scene you mentioned, Leland watching Maddy sneak out:

I can't see the BOB madness in the 2nd pic, just sadness and curiosity perhaps. No BOB.

And since I started with the pictures, here's what I said earlier:

Leo's mystery friend in the woods. You can see the ski mask.

Jacoby's attacker. Same ski mask.

They're the same.

I know, if Mark Frost said that was Leland why would he lie? I'm just saying I don't think it was MEANT to be Leland during season 1 since we see the same character in a scene Leland would never fit. And Leland wears a ski mask to assault Jacoby and later proceeds to Calhoun Memorial to commit murder with no mask on?
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.