"Hannibal" A Savory New Entree on NBC

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: "Hannibal" A Savory New Entree on NBC

Post by Annie »

I was going to say "read them all in order," but if you really just care about the relationship between Hannibal and Clarice, read Silence and then Hannibal--and Hannibal is the star. Red Dragon kinda stands alone but it would explain the Will Graham relationship better as seen in the TV show.

And only read Hannibal Rising if you're really curious and want to say you've read them all; I was very disappointed in it. I even read the other Thomas Harris book, Black Sunday. OK for rounding out your Thomas Harris library.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

I intend to read Red Dragon after the current season of Hannibal ends. I already know the basic story of Red Dragon from the two films, and events mentioned in the book like those concerning the Minnesota Shrike and the Chesapeake Ripper are currently being fleshed out on television. I placed my order for Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal yesterday.

Hannibal Studiolo is a nice forum. I'll postpone reading threads there until I've read at least Silence and Hannibal.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

Apparently this show isn't doing well with ratings, which is surprising! I really hope it does get renewed....
Mastershake
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mastershake »

Ratings are for some reason bad, maybe some cable tv will pick it up? Great show, really great.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

The show took a hit in its already modest ratings after NBC banned episode 4. That episode could in no way be connected to horrible the Boston bombings and its replacement episode contained a string of horrifically mutilated corpses.

Hopefully, international ratings and funding will save the show.
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Post by Indifferent43 »

I heard there's a lot of financial backers from Europe, not too sure how that works. And I hope so, I'm so happy The Killing has been picked up by another channel, can't wait for it to come back next month. :)
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Some good news.

From Deadline:
"The numbers eventually tapered off, and NBC put the renewal decision on hold. Hannibal was well reviewed, and I hear there has been interest from at least one cable network in case NBC passes on a second season. Additionally, I hear Amazon, which currently carries repeats of the show, has expressed interest in taking it on. There are no talks going on and Hannibal has not been shopped as the producers are waiting on a renewal at NBC. Hannibal, from Gaumont International Television, is produced under a different model at a license fee that is a fraction of what dramas with similar production values cost."
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Episode 10.

A real horror episode, horror with brains! Stellar!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks, Melong, I hope I can catch up over the summer. Do you know when the second season will air?
Since it's on NBC, it's probably fall. I need a TV for this!!
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

I vaguely remember reading not until mid-season. Do US tv seasons run from fall to summer? That would suggest it'll start sometime during the early months of 2014?

(I'm currently reading Hannibal, approaching the end.)
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Usually, the networks introduce new TV shows in the fall, like Sept 2013. But since this was a mid-season replacement, maybe it'll just be back in the spring of 2014.

Ooh, let me know what your thoughts were on Hannibal when you finish!!
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

I decided to watch the 2001 Hannibal movie the day after finishing the book. Didn't translate well to cinema, I still didn't like the film nor Hopkins' performance.

The book on the other hand was very good. I had no problems with the ending, Starling participating in eating Krendler's brains. Her running off with Lekter for years to South America while no longer drugged seems less plausible. A fun read. I look forward to rereading the book after Red Dragon in the near future.

The tv series gives us a different take on Hannibal. Mads Mikkelsen is certainly my preferred cinematic Hannibal Lekter. Delightfully cold compared to Hopkins.

Thomas Harris is probably no longer the person to give us a take on Hannibal immediately before the events of Red Dragon anyway. What bothered you most about Hannibal Rising (book), Annie?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Well, everybody has their own opinion. I loved Hannibal the novel, particularly the ending. And Anthony Hopkins best performance was in Hannibal--and I guess I'd have to also include Silence.

I think I liked Hannibal Rising, the novel, better than the movie. From what I'd read about it, Thomas Harris had a deal with the publisher to do 4 books and it seemed like he just wrote enough to make a screen play; it wasn't very deep.

Since Thomas Harris is the author, I believe he is the only one to give us a take on how he developed thoughout his life. Maybe it's just time to stop. I usually don't like it when other authors take over for the original and add to the story. Now I'm not sure I would have liked the TV show.

FYI, it's Dr. Lecter everywhere but in Manhunter.
Melong
RR Diner Member

Post by Melong »

Oops, sorry.

It could well be you won't warm to the tv series as a long time fan of the books and some of the films. I hope you do, though.

Here's a quote from an interview with series creator Bryan Fuller: “When I sat down to the script, I was very consciously saying, ‘What would David Lynch do with a Hannibal Lecter character? What sort of strange, unexpected places would he take this world?’ I’m a great admirer of his work and his aesthetic and his meticulous sound design. Those were all components that I felt very strongly needed to be part of our Hannibal Lecter story. Between Lynch and [Stanley] Kubrick, there’s a lot of inspiration,” he said.