50-Minute Episode Of 'Scene By Scene Featuring David Lynch

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

DLW
Roadhouse Member

50-Minute Episode Of 'Scene By Scene Featuring David Lynch

Post by DLW »

If the “Scene By Scene” interview with Woody Allen whetted your appetite for in-depth film discussion, there’s more to be found here. In this episode from critic/filmmaker Mark Cousin’s brief BBC series, he sits down with the enigma that is David Lynch.
Conducted prior to the release of "The Straight Story," Cousins talks with Lynch about his issues with agoraphobia, the language of film, the behind-the-scene details of “Twin Peaks”, "Blue Velvet," "The Elephant Man" and much more. It's pretty much a must for any fan of Lynch, giving viewers a pretty rare and generous sit down with the director.

I just love the way he talks! What his reasons for things are and how he describes his own work. He is ying and yang about everything.

Here is the transcript of the interview for you nerds who like to have written word saved too :P
INTERVIEW TRANSCRIPT
Indifferent43
RR Diner Member

Re: 50-Minute Episode Of 'Scene By Scene Featuring David Lyn

Post by Indifferent43 »

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Great interview.
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

You are very welcome! I hope i don't bother people with posting like that. Or stuff that isn't brand new but it was just such a neat thing to watch for awhile. :)
Cherry Pie

Post by Cherry Pie »

Thank you so much for linking that interview. I hadn't seen it before.

I find it extremely rude that people would "boo" a movie during which the people involved are present at the time. And, while my initial reaction to FWWM left me in a state of bewilderment, at least it made me feel (which is more than I can say for the 99% of movies out there today).

I'm not going to pretend I fully understood the movie (although I found the first part of it brilliant in an odd way), but it certainly shook me and made me think. The tv show, on the other hand, was... Magical

At any rate, this was a great interview and Lynch seems like such a nice guy! Thanks again. :-)
~ "This must be where pies go when they die..." - Special Agent D. Cooper ~
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

Very welcome Cherrypie! :)
birchy
Roadhouse Member

Post by birchy »

I'm currently working my way through Mark Cousins' The Story of Film: An Odyssey on netflix. Lynch is covered--kind of sprinkled throughout, actually. In fact in the opening of the first episode Cousins asks, "Who knows how to get inside your head?" He waits a beat and then answers, "David Lynch does." It made me smile. But then he adds, "and Baz Luhrman does," which made me lose my smile and become confused.

If you enjoyed the above interview between Cousins and Lynch, then you should check out The Story of Film. It's currently streaming on netflix! If you love cinema--from the Lumiere brothers all the way to the last decade--you'll like this series. It meanders through film history in a sort-of chronological way, all the while making connections with films from the last hundred+ years.
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

Thank you for that! I might watch that tonight then! :)
birchy
Roadhouse Member

Post by birchy »

You should!

I guess I should add this bit from wiki : "The Story of Film: An Odyssey is a documentary film about the history of film, presented on television in 15 one-hour chapters with a total length of over 900 minutes."

So, yes, it is a bit of a commitment, but a fascinating one, no?

Cousins makes a connection between Buñuel's image of an ear in Un Chien Andalou and, of course, Lynch's in Blue Velvet.
DLW
Roadhouse Member

Post by DLW »

Un Chien Andalou!!! I love that short film...thing! the whole bovine eye-cutting scene always makes me squirm a little bit. I am so glad i'm not the only one mentioning that! I can for sure see the similarities between the two. David seems like the uy to be inspired by that little gem for the eyes.

Such a very adventurous commitment indeed! One i am definitely up for!