Bluray Question

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Buck's Student
Roadhouse Member

Bluray Question

Post by Buck's Student »

So, I haven't been on the site for a long time, and read about the Bluray boxset debacle. Do the audio errors extend to ALL of Lynch's Blurays, or just the boxset? A similar thing happened with the initial pressings of the Beatles vinyl boxset. The regular LPs were fine, while the boxset sucked.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Re: Bluray Question

Post by rewak »

Just the UK boxset, other releases are fine :)
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

I'd just like to point out that these faulty (or poorly-authored) sets were recalled and replaced. If you now buy the UK Blu-ray set (as I did from Amazon) then you'll get the correct audio/visual encodings, error-free.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Not really true, they fixed the disc freeze in LH and audio skips in FWWM, along with adding the missing 5.1 tracks from LH/FWWM/WAH, but Dune is still the weakest HD transfer, FWWM and LH are still 1080i, and extras are still missing all over the board (worst of which is the deleted scenes from BV). It's the poorest option if you want to collect Lynch on BluRay, all of them.
barryconvex
Roadhouse Member

Post by barryconvex »

I think the general attitude here is far too negative. No, it isn't the definitive Lynch box set, and the first edition was flawed (as far as I know the distributor was very generous to send complete boxes as a replacement even if only a single disc was affected).

BUT, it is definitely value for money. The usual price is far below what you've been charged for the shipping price for davidlynch.com DVDs to Europe alone.
Concerning Blu Ray, the medium in general is pretty much a wasted opportunity, because Lynch seems to have very little to zero interest in supporting genuine special editions if he isn't directly / monetarily involved.

The omission of the Blue Velvet deleted scenes is unfortunate, apart from that I think most notable extras are already on DVD editions.

If you are a film lover with a long wishlist unlike a "mere" (no offense, anyone) Lynch-fan, this is a bargain.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

True it can be a good bargain, but i think on a David Lynch forum you aren't going to find many people who will accept less than the best when better editions are still in print and easily available.
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

I agree with Rewak. Why should we accept buying 3, 4 or 5 versions of the same film simply because the versions are slowly upgraded? I refuse to buy any substandard versions and I did not buy the Gold or Lime Sets because although I would have liked to see the extras, I resent buying multiple versions. Also I can't afford to.
I'll avoid this set and simply buy the films I want individually.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

The set is fine. Certain people are going OTT on threads about this release, and it's getting really silly to go on about it now. No, it's not a perfect release, but I paid about £15 for mine and am very happy.

Twin Peaks: FWWM and Lost Highway are indeed 1080/50i broadcast encodes, but they are excellent quality. Yes, they have European speed-up, but that's the way most of us have known films on TV the whole of our lives in Europe. The fact they are interlaced will make no difference on an HD TV until you reach a ridiculously huge screen size and, by that point, you'll be looking at 4K UHD TVs anyway. Besides, the two interlacing fields are made up from the same film frame, so the only likelihood of combing on the image is if your TV's deinterlacer is screwed, at which point you'll want a new TV anyway. Would I prefer 23.98fps (aka 24p)? Yes. Is it essential to my enjoyment of the films and likely to destroy my viewing of them? No, not even close. The quality is excellent. Certainly, TP on the Blu-ray is way better than the scratched, dirty old print I watched at the BFI a couple of years back.

The set has piles of extra material and, even if there are other transfers and extras out there in other countries, rights issues can prevent certain transfers and extras being issued in different territories. Remember, rights ownership of Lynch's films has historically been extremely complicated due to the number of individuals and organisations, globally, who have funded them. Blue Velvet deleted scenes can comfortably be issued in on country, for example, but, in another country, might be unaffordable for the distributor, who is, after all, a business, not an old-style charity.

If you're a complete fanatic, you'll look all over the world and grab a French disc here or an American disc there to import. As it stands, the UK version is more than acceptable since the faulty discs were replaced long ago and I really wish the out-of-date, frankly OTT, article would be removed from the news page.

While I wouldn't recommend the set for people who are more interested in watching bitrate information on the display at the bottom of the screen and for 1080p/24 in the top corner, if you're a fan of Lynch's films, you'll be more than happy, as they are all way better than the DVDs.

The set is a bargain at £25.67 on Amazon right now! http://www.amazon.co.uk/David-Lynch-Box ... avid+lynch Well worth it!