Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheArm
Great Northern Member

TP Season 1 & FWWM soundtracks set for new vinyl reissues

Post by TheArm »

http://exclaim.ca/News/twin_peaks_sound ... eath_waltz

'Twin Peaks' Soundtracks Set for Vinyl Reissues via Death Waltz
By Gregory Adams

While Sacred Bones recently dug up trove of vintage Twin Peaks soundtracks, reissue hub Death Waltz Recording Company is one-upping that imprint by delivering two separate soundtrack reissues behind David Lynch's much-loved cult TV show.

This week, label head Spencer Hickman took to Death Waltz's official message board thread on Spin the Black Circle to note that the label will be serving up vinyl versions of both the soundtrack to the first season of Twin Peaks and the show's posthumous 1992 feature film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, which serves as a prequel to the series.

While due dates have yet to be unveiled, the former will be served up on "cherry"-coloured vinyl, referencing agent Dale Cooper's (played by Kyle MacLachlan) favourite flavour of pie, and the latter will be pressed onto "coffee"-coloured vinyl, a nod to Cooper's damn fine drink of choice.

Angelo Badalamenti's jazzy and synth-driven Soundtrack from Twin Peaks was originally issued through Warner Bros. in 1990, with his score for Fire Walk with Me arriving in 1992. However, neither release has been reissued on vinyl since originally coming out back in the early '90s.

Hickman states that the new soundtrack reissues "have artwork approved by David Lynch himself," though the new covers have yet to be revealed.

Other upcoming soundtracks Hickman highlighted in some recent messages include Fabio Frizzi's scores to Italian horror filmmaker Lucio Fulci's The Beyond (which was reissued by Mondo in 2012) and City of the Living Dead, an as-yet-unnamed "film that celebrates its birthday this year (it's over 30 years old)," and at least two Record Store Day releases for films where "you have never heard more than the main theme." Details, from artwork to release dates, are apparently forthcoming.

Hickman also revealed that copies of the previously announced Slumber Party Massacre soundtrack will make their way into stores in the second week of March. This month, however, the label is releasing the soundtracks to Forbidden World and Ms. 45.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
mwbrindley

Twin Peaks, FWWM soundtracks to reissued on vinyl

Post by mwbrindley »

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/02/t ... fee-vinyl/

Diane, 7:30 am, February thirteenth. I’ve just received a telegram from a Spencer Hickman of a company called Death Waltz Recordings.

In the telegram, he says Angelo Badalamenti’s soundtracks to the first season of Twin Peaks and the bizarre yet underrated prequel film, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, will be available once more on vinyl. He insists they’ve been, I quote, “approved by David Lynch himself,” and that they will arrive on cherry- and coffee-colored vinyl, respectively. No date or price just yet.

That reminds me, Diane. Lunch was $6.31 at the Lamplighter Inn. That’s on Highway Two near Lewis Fork. That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, a slice of cherry pie and a cup of coffee. Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way, that cherry pie is worth a stop.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks, FWWM soundtracks to reissued on vinyl

Post by guildnavigator »

I wonder if they will be standard or if they are doing 180 gram vinyl for this. Would be cool to have a heavyweight copy.
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Re: TP Season 1 & FWWM soundtracks set for new vinyl reissue

Post by bluefrank »

These are going to be the goddam bomb...I can hardly wait for these to drop. I already have a subscription (they're like gold dust) to Death Waltz and they are a great company (Spencer is a top bloke), they will certainly do these releases justice, of that there is little doubt. I think these will be available to all (not part of the current subscription package) but subscribers will probably get first dibs on the releases. I would love for DW to do more Lynch soundtracks...they've done great work on John Carpenter stuff and the like.

Still no date yet though!

I'm almost certain that these will be on heavyweight vinyl...that is kind of a standard with DW and the packaging they produce is also top notch. These will be a must for Peaks fans.

The funny thing is...when I joined their forum (spin the blackest circles) early this year, I made requests for Twin Peaks (series/film) to be pressed and a couple of weeks later...the news dropped that they were going to be pressing!

http://www.spintheblackestcircles.com/f ... al/page/8/
horselover phat...that's me.
oscar gonzo

Post by oscar gonzo »

aha, was looking for some sort of update on this, couldn't find anything on the Death Waltz website so feared this whole project came to a dead end. Good to hear it's still on track, really want these sweet babies on vinyl!
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Mondo-con is this weekend! Can't wait for the details to come out.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Doesn't seem like any announcements were made regarding Twin Peaks at Mondo-Con. A user on their forums says the vinyl reissues are set for release in February '15, but I have no way of confirming that.

I've been following them on social media and read several articles about other titles they DID announce and show covers for, so I don't think I just missed it. Seems we have to wait longer for news.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Well, it's a big day for announcements. Death Waltz confirmed on Twitter the vinyls are coming in January.

https://twitter.com/deathwaltzrecs/stat ... 8744262656
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Does anyone know what is happening with these releases? It has been over a year since they were announced, they did not materialise in January and the last I heard was DeathWaltz were experiencing some hiccups. I also tweeted them to ask about when they would be released and was just ignored.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Any news? I cannot wait for these (particularly FWWM) and it's disconcerting that they seem to be virtually in the same situation as Season 3 is now...
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

I read on the Death Waltz Forum the webmaster posted that the vinyls are still happening they are just taking a long time. He mentioned something about only recently receiving liner notes for the releases. So it seems they are still happening just taking longer. No timeframe was given for the releases.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Thanks, that is good to hear. Hopefully they can get them out by year's end...
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

I've been wondering if these reissues were somehow tied in with the announcement/confirmation of Season 3. Both were announced and the announcements have then been followed by long periods of silence and questions.

The liner notes thing seems to tell a different story, though. Anyhow, I really hope this is happening, regardless of what the future might hold for a potential Season 3.
tausendsassa
Roadhouse Member

Post by tausendsassa »

Good news for people who love good news:

In today's (8/3) Mondo Music Weekly newsletter, there is an update on the TP + FWWM vinyl reissues, next to a picture of Coop giving the thumbs up:

TWIN PEAKS & TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME - The Owls are exactly what they seem. We're happy to say Twin Peaks & Fire Walk With Me lacquers were cut last week and are currently winging their way to the plant to be turned into test pressings. The audio was transferred using the original tapes from the Warner archive and mastered for vinyl. We know it's been a long time coming but rest assured, they are on the way.
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

tausendsassa wrote:Good news for people who love good news:

In today's (8/3) Mondo Music Weekly newsletter, there is an update on the TP + FWWM vinyl reissues, next to a picture of Coop giving the thumbs up:

TWIN PEAKS & TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME - The Owls are exactly what they seem. We're happy to say Twin Peaks & Fire Walk With Me lacquers were cut last week and are currently winging their way to the plant to be turned into test pressings. The audio was transferred using the original tapes from the Warner archive and mastered for vinyl. We know it's been a long time coming but rest assured, they are on the way.
Excellent! Thank you. I don't even care if these don't come out until the show airs, I just am glad it's confirmed they will indeed be happening soon.