The Factory Photographs UK Gallery show & Book Jan 2014

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

The Factory Photographs UK Gallery show & Book Jan 2014

Post by Qubism »

"The Oscar-winning film director David Lynch is best known for his surrealist and dreamlike films including Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive. But Lynch also has a fascination with abandoned factories, which he began photographing in the 1980s, the aesthetics of which are a reoccurring motif in his films. Now he is having his first ever photography exhibition in Europe of these desolate factories at the Photographers’ Gallery in London in January 2014, to coincide with his first photography book, The Factory Photographs.

The bleak series of black-and-white photographs of derelict factories in England, Germany, New York and Poland include cooling towers blowing smoke into the sky. A more dreamy shot of a factory in New Jersey is taken from across the water. Other images show broken windows and dimly lit factory rooms focusing in on the old machinery, pipes and foreboding factory walls.

Lynch had always heard that the north of England had the greatest factories and took a trip there but was greatly disappointed. “Everywhere we went the factories had all been torn down. There were just fields and the smokestacks were all being torn down...,” he said. “And the factories that they put up in place of the old factories were corrugated metal, little, bitty things, zero personality, zero beauty, and it was a very depressing trip, very depressing. There were a couple of things we got but the big factories were gone.”

The exhibition will also feature sound works created by Lynch, which resemble the noises of thumping and hissing machinery. A special screening room will show his films, Eraserhead and The Elephant Man to connect the film’s industrial themes to his photography.

Lynch started his career as a painter at the Pennsylvania Academy of Art. Although his favourite theme is industrial landscapes, he also takes photographs of female nudes.

Petra Giloy-Hirtz, curator of the exhibition and author of The Factory Photographs, says: “He is obsessed with factories and has a childlike enthusiasm to explore these places. The viewer is drawn into the mood of these photographs and invited to invent their own narrative.”

‘The Factory Photographs’, The Photographers’ Gallery, London W1 (thephotographersgallery.org.uk) 17 January to 30 March. The associated book is published by Prestel, priced £40" - CHARLOTTE CRIPPS - The Independent UK

I Can't wait :)
Happy New Year!
kelvah
Roadhouse Member

Re: The Factory Photographs UK Gallery show & Book Jan 2014

Post by kelvah »

Anyone who attended the exhib? How is it?

Sent from my stolen iPhone using Tapatalk
Qubism
Roadhouse Member
Location: Another Place - Where we're from, the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by Qubism »

I aim to go soon. There was a review on BBC Radio 4 where I learnt that there are photos by Andy Warhol & William S. Burroughs there at the same time, all on till the end of March. Very impressive company for Mr Lynch to be in. On the radio they said the prints were mostly about A4 size, but hey, does size matter?!

Cheers,
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Can you provide a link for that article; I'd like to post it in Live Journal. TIA!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Qubism
Roadhouse Member

Post by Qubism »

Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thank you very much, Qubism!!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Lynchland

Post by Lynchland »

Hi,

If you're interested by "The Factory Photographs" exhibition, you may have a look at the album Lynchland has dedicated to it, with photos, articles, interviews

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3903944e35

Have a nice day

Roland K. / Lynchland
Montana
Roadhouse Member

Post by Montana »

Saw this exhibition. Warhol and Burroughs shows were on different floors of the same gallery. it was a collection of factory photos from about 1980 up to last year. The prints were not large. There was some of DL's industrial noise-music playing in the gallery. For anyone interested, there is a full catalogue published in hardback. It is published by Prestel. I was surprised there was nothing from the Eraserhead years, because I know he was taking factory photos back then.
Maddy
Roadhouse Member

Post by Maddy »

wow - I can't believe he took a trip to my area and hated it, and I didn't even know about him visiting! :( (North of England). And he was disappointed by the places he looked, I can think of two or three local areas straight off the top of my head but they must have been the smokestacks he spoke of, we do have a lot of fields up here.
The Angels will return...