Any interest in discussing his movies?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

erniesam

Any interest in discussing his movies?

Post by erniesam »

So yeah, I've posted a topic in the section of Inland Empire, while the last post there was over a year ago. This section seems to be very much alive. Though I love the tv-show'm not too familiar with it. I'm watching it right now (about two episodes per night) and alot of it is coming back. It's indeed nostalgia to me. It is the first work I ever saw by Lynch, though I didn't know it at the time. I could not appreciate it that much, for I didn't understand it.

The first movie of Lynch I consiously watched was Blue Velvet. I didn't know what to make of it. I kinda liked it, but couldn't say that I loved it (or indeed understood it). Gradually I became aware of the rest of his work. The Elephant Man I found fascinating and moving, although not easy to watch. I guess looking at hideous people isn't what we are accustomed to in the movies. Than Lost Highway came on my path. I hated it. Absolutely hated it. Than Mulholland Drive. It grabbed me immediately, though I didn't understand it. After a while I analyzed it over and over and now I honestly believe this is my favorite movie of all time. With this understanding I checked LH again and after a while I came to love that movie also. I mean LOVE that movie. And so it went with Inland Empire as well. I hated it, because I couldn't make head or tail out of it. Now I absulutely love it and I think it is the best Lynch has done after MD. Wild at heart I find pretty amusing and enjoyable, Dune I find enjoyable as well, though I do consider it to be the least of his works. And The Straight Story I find overwhelmingly moving and just a wonderful movie. Fire Walk With Me I haven't seen yet and I want to keep it that way after I finished the series.

And than there is Eraserhead. In a class all of it's own. I kinda remember it seeing it on tv in my youth. I know I've turned it off, because it bore me to death. Now I absolutely love it. I guess that's not the right word: I loathe it, but it keeps me glued to the seat everytime I watch it.

So, is there any interest in talking about his movies at all? At this moment I do not want to talk about Twin Peaks, because I'm in the process of seeing it right now.
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Re: Any interest in discussing his movies?

Post by rocketsan22 »

Yeah, maybe you should visit the other part of the board entirely dedicated to talking about his films...

http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1
erniesam

Post by erniesam »

Yes, I know that. But there doesn't seem to be any activity there.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Well, you are in luck as in 2 days I launch David Lynch Month on my own blog, Lost in the Movies: http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com. I'll be showcasing hundreds of images from his work, gathering a big compilation of Twin Peaks commentary, sharing my own history with his work, analyzing transformations in his style and storytelling over his career, exhibiting a video essay weaving together footage from his first 6 movies to explore his thematic evolution, and reviewing every single feature and most of his shorts & TV episodes. Additionally, I will be posing a question to the reader each week, which I'm hoping will fuel further discussion.

I'm not sure how participatory it will be - comments have cooled down on my site over the past few years, but I'm hoping people will feel free to share and not just lurk this June. Either way, I would definitely be interested in your own thoughts on Lynch's work.

When are you finishing Twin Peaks, out of curiosity? Can't wait to hear how you respond to Fire Walk With Me. Fans are so split on that movie. It may be uneven and very different in tone from the show, but I think it's a masterpiece and more emotionally overwhelming than the series could ever hope to be.
erniesam

Post by erniesam »

Hi there,

Great I will check out your site. It sounds good. Currently I'm at episode 18, so eleven more to go. Pretty distinction between season 1 and 2 though. I mean, season two feels different to me less atmosphere and less tension or so it seems at this moment. Can't wait to view the next two episodes tonight.
erniesam

Post by erniesam »

LostInTheMovies,

I've checked your blog, but there doesn't seem to be any activity either concerning the Lynch movie entries. I see you have a spotlight on Lynch right now and are discussing Twin Peaks: FWWM. I haven't seen that movie yet, so I cannot take part in that discussion. Any prospect in reviving the debate on Lynch feature movies?
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Sorry if that was confusing - the posts go up once a week on Monday, so the first will appear tomorrow morning. It will lay out the schedule for the coming month, as well as which posts will contain spoilers. I've also reviewed Inland Empire, Lost Highway, Blue Velvet, and most individual episodes of Twin Peaks in the past - if you click on the David Lynch label above those Fire Walk posts it will list all my posts on the director. Feel free to leave your thoughts under any of those older pieces, and I'll be happy to reply.

Hang in there with Peaks for now though it's rough going. The second season never fully recovers from the revelation of Laura'a killer (Lynch and Frost were also kinda MIA at the point you're watching now) but it does start to get better near the end. And then Lynch returns to direct the final episode, which may very well be the most amazing of the whole series. Well worth the wait. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on Lynch, Peaks, and eventually Fire Walk With Me!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Here's a more direct link to the previous Lynch posts (just scroll past the Fire Walk ones for the older material): thedancingimage.blogspot.com/search/label/david%20lynch