Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by MysteryMan »

rewak wrote:So i guess the "Twin Peaks Tuesday" promotion drive they started last week is done, that lasted long :roll:
I assume they will continue with the Twin Peaks Tuesdays until the release date in exactly 7 weeks. I remember last Tuesday the "woods" video didn't appear until after midnight UK time so I would assume we will see something within next couple of hours or so if that's anything to go by.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

:D

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

Awesome Jerry!
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

By the way, total non-sequiter, but you know something I'd love to show up on the blu-rays or on SOME release of TP down the line? Julee Cruise performing "Falling" live on SNL. How has that not made it onto ANY of the releases thus far? It's also completely impossible to find the clip anywhere online.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Charles de Lauzirika

Post by Charles de Lauzirika »

Jerry Horne wrote::D

And please be sure to set your view settings to 1080p to get the full impact of the comparison. :D

#twinpeakstuesdays #tpt
Pieter

Post by Pieter »

Charles de Lauzirika wrote:
And please be sure to set your view settings to 1080p to get the full impact of the comparison. :D

#twinpeakstuesdays #tpt
Can I set my settings to less Jersey Shore? There's something Snooki about BOB.

UPDATE: I think YouTube is adding warmth. Source material looks better.
Last edited by Pieter on Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Charles de Lauzirika wrote: And please be sure to set your view settings to 1080p to get the full impact of the comparison. :D

#twinpeakstuesdays #tpt
Charles, you are THE MAN!

Thanks for your great work on these Twin Peaks releases. (And also for getting Zhora's death scene fixed!) :wink:
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Dammit, they didn't fix it completely. It's still Annie in that scene.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Charles de Lauzirika

Post by Charles de Lauzirika »

bosguy1981 wrote:
Charles de Lauzirika wrote: Charles, you are THE MAN!

Thanks for your great work on these Twin Peaks releases. (And also for getting Zhora's death scene fixed!) :wink:
Thanks, bosguy. Truth be told, I had nothing to do with the Twin Peaks restoration. But I imagine we'll get into the details of this epic journey at some point.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So glad they were able to upgrade the picture in the Annie/Cooper scene. It was one of the glaring scenes on the DVD that looked bad. They only other non-fx scene I can think of that looked really bad was the Windom/Audrey scene.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Oh man, looks beautiful.
I wonder if they're gonna do something to Maddy's vision on the rug (hope, hope)
Do you mean include the version where she sees BOB's face in the carpet? I hope not. Never liked that version whatsoever. I thought the mysterious, eerie bloodstain that suddenly appears was a great sign for Maddy.

And I think it makes it that much more powerful when we see BOB coming out of nowhere and crawling over the furniture towards Maddy in episode 9. To have that be their first on-screen "encounter" I mean. That remains one of the most terrifying of all BOB scenes for me. Totally makes my skin crawl.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

bosguy1981 wrote: Do you mean include the version where she sees BOB's face in the carpet? I hope not. Never liked that version whatsoever. I thought the mysterious, eerie bloodstain that suddenly appears was a great sign for Maddy.
Never, that bubble effect of BOB's face is atrocious and kills the scene.
What I meant was I hope they could improve the effect somehow to make BOB's face look scary, as Lynch originally intended. Don't know if it's possible to do that at this stage.
Or at least make the blood stain red, as blood should be. The way it is looks like a water leak under the Palmer's rug.
bosguy1981 wrote: And I think it makes it that much more powerful when we see BOB coming out of nowhere and crawling over the furniture towards Maddy in episode 9. To have that be their first on-screen "encounter" I mean. That remains one of the most terrifying of all BOB scenes for me. Totally makes my skin crawl.
That's one of my favorites too :D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote: Do you mean include the version where she sees BOB's face in the carpet? I hope not. Never liked that version whatsoever. I thought the mysterious, eerie bloodstain that suddenly appears was a great sign for Maddy.
Never, that bubble effect of BOB's face is atrocious and kills the scene.
What I meant was I hope they could improve the effect somehow to make BOB's face look scary, as Lynch originally intended. Don't know if it's possible to do that at this stage.
Or at least make the blood stain red, as blood should be. The way it is looks like a water leak under the Palmer's rug.
bosguy1981 wrote: And I think it makes it that much more powerful when we see BOB coming out of nowhere and crawling over the furniture towards Maddy in episode 9. To have that be their first on-screen "encounter" I mean. That remains one of the most terrifying of all BOB scenes for me. Totally makes my skin crawl.
That's one of my favorites too :D
I agree with bosguy. I like it without Bob- its just more mysterious. Also, I never thought of it as a bloodstain, rather an indentation/crushed carpet where her body would later lay.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote: I agree with bosguy. I like it without Bob- its just more mysterious. Also, I never thought of it as a bloodstain, rather an indentation/crushed carpet where her body would later lay.
I think it depends. Anything is better than bubble effect BOB lol
But if they can improve the stain somehow to make it look something more meaningful (blood, indentation, whatever) I'm all for it.
The way it is looks like an unfinished effect/water leak
Chareth

Post by Chareth »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: I think it depends. Anything is better than bubble effect BOB lol
But if they can improve the stain somehow to make it look something more meaningful (blood, indentation, whatever) I'm all for it.
The way it is looks like an unfinished effect/water leak
Agreed. At the moment, the encroaching water doesn't justify Maddy's terrified response. The shot feels incomplete. Granted, my first viewing of the show was on VHS with bubble BOB shimmering into view - which definitely should not be restored as is - so that impression may be biased.

(How did that make its way on to the European video release and wherever else, BTW? I seem to recall that the shot was completed at the time of production and then jettisoned at the last minute due to poor effects in favour of what we got on the DVDs, but somehow the finished shot still made it into some versions).

It should either be turned into a more obvious bloodstain, or the BOB appearance should be incorporated in a way that's genuinely menacing, but which also suits the other effects shots in the show, although that may not be possible.

Then again, that's a good point about Maddy's first sight of BOB being him climbing over the couch. Perhaps it's best to preserve that.
Charles de Lauzirika wrote: Thanks, bosguy. Truth be told, I had nothing to do with the Twin Peaks restoration. But I imagine we'll get into the details of this epic journey at some point.
Yes, huge thanks for your work on this release and the Gold Box, Charles. I was so excited to hear you were doing the extras for the DVD. It meant Peaks was finally going to get the documentary and suite of extra material it deserved.

Were you involved in the deleted scenes project then? Or just the newly produced extras for this set? I hope we can indeed find out more from you soon about how it all came about. Cheers.