Questions for Bob Engels

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Questions for Bob Engels

Post by BobCooper »

I'll be interviewing Bob Engels soon, any questions? I plan on asking a lot about The Missing Pieces and Fire Walk With Me.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Re: Questions for Bob Engels

Post by guildnavigator »

Any information about the creamed corn planet and Truman driving backwards scene.
Last edited by guildnavigator on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

PLEASE ask him, how the idea of a place filled with creamed corn where BOB and Mike were supposed to return was born :) Was David Lynch its author and at what time period of shooting TWIN PEAKS did it first come to his mind? So the question is WHO and WHEN! If Robert Engels is talkative - in all interviews I read and listened to he was a very kind and attentive person - you could also ask HOW, I mean, how far-reaching and elaborated this idea was etc.
I'm curious, why Truman was supposed to drive them BACKWARDS. The only backwards scenes we saw were in the Red Room/Lodge and above the convenience store.

P.S.: Nice to see, that one forum member more is eager to find out more information about it. guildnavigator wrote his comment just before I finished writing mine :)
Last edited by nemo on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I'd like to know if it was satisfying to see the deleted scenes after all this time.

Also, I know that it was stated that Judy was Josie's sister. Would she have been played by Joan Chen as well? And was this development planned for a third season in order for Chen to return, or was it created specifically for the movies?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I'd love to hear Bob speak a bit more about the original draft of the FWWM screenplay (before Chet Desmond) and what some of the differences would have been in Cooper's scenes. I mean, presumably Cooper wouldn't have had a brawl with the town sheriff, etc. What were some of the Cooper moments Bob remembers from those early drafts that never got filmed?

Also, any memories he has about scenes planned for Audrey in FWWM? Was the hope that she'd have many scenes with Laura, or would she have been mostly with the Horne family? I know Fenn was "out" of the movie early on, but if he has any recollection of particular scenes he and Lynch had in mind for Audrey.

Hope it goes well. Looking forward to hearing or reading the interview!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I'd like to know about the cliffhangers. The nurse stealing Annie's ring, did he and David had already planned the meaning of that scene, what would come after for Cooper etc, or was it something they were going to develop once they started the following script?
BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by BobCooper »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I'd like to know about the cliffhangers. The nurse stealing Annie's ring, did he and David had already planned the meaning of that scene, what would come after for Cooper etc, or was it something they were going to develop once they started the following script?
The nurse taking the ring was one of the first things I thought about asking! Definitely one of the bigger new cliffhangers/mysteries from The Missing Pieces.
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

Please ask why they deleted the cliffhangers from FWWM. The nurse and the bathroom scene in particular. If there were originally plans for more movies or even another season, I wonder why they deleted the scenes that could have pushed the project forward.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

worthit wrote:Please ask why they deleted the cliffhangers from FWWM. The nurse and the bathroom scene in particular. If there were originally plans for more movies or even another season, I wonder why they deleted the scenes that could have pushed the project forward.
I'd like to know this as well. We discussed it in another thread. The basic thoughts were that it either:

1. Interfered with the power of the angel ending
2. Set the film up with something of another cliffhanger on which they weren't sure they'd be able to deliver (due to funding of a second film, getting key actors like Kyle to return, or whatever).
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

I would ask him about the supposed booing of FWWM at Cannes. It's always reported, but I believe he and others say it never happened. Ask him if he has ever heard a film be booed at Cannes, and how some actors from it seem to remember hearing boos. Were there multiple showings? That could account for the discrepancies.
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Post by worthit »

Don't know if I REALLY want to know this, but maybe he'd give us an official explanation of the blue rose and Judy...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I do
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

bosguy1981 wrote:I'd love to hear Bob speak a bit more about the original draft of the FWWM screenplay (before Chet Desmond) and what some of the differences would have been in Cooper's scenes. I mean, presumably Cooper wouldn't have had a brawl with the town sheriff, etc. What were some of the Cooper moments Bob remembers from those early drafts that never got filmed?

Also, any memories he has about scenes planned for Audrey in FWWM? Was the hope that she'd have many scenes with Laura, or would she have been mostly with the Horne family? I know Fenn was "out" of the movie early on, but if he has any recollection of particular scenes he and Lynch had in mind for Audrey.

Hope it goes well. Looking forward to hearing or reading the interview!
I'd love to hear anything about that first draft screenplay. Was Audrey included? Was she just going to be in the unfilmed Johnny's Birthday scenes, or was she originally going to have a bigger part? I remember reading (maybe here on these forums) that they wanted Sherilyn to cut her hair to match the pilot and she didn't want to (which I think is hilarious, because she could have had long hair prior to the pilot and just cut her hair, as opposed to characters like Norma and Donna, who apparently had short hair that grew magically overnight! lol) I always figured since Laura and Audrey were not friends, it would have just been a cameo.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote: I remember reading (maybe here on these forums) that they wanted Sherilyn to cut her hair to match the pilot and she didn't want to.
I don't think they wanted her to cut it like the pilot, just to the length she wore it for the series. She had grown her hair out very long after the series.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by BobCooper »

Doing the interview tomorrow!