Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mark

Re: Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread

Post by mark »

please post your complaints on:

https://www.facebook.com/cbshomeentertainment?fref=nf

if you experience audio problems. The more posts the better, I would think.
It is a very expensive box, and this is not acceptable. Changing all the settings on your blu ray player to watch this in sync is not normal.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

FauxOwl wrote:But in the mean time, for those with Sony players, it is probably worthwhile to dig around for the A/V Sync option, as this fixed my issue. Again this is how I got there: While the video is playing, hit the "options" button on the remote, arrow up until you find the A/V Sync setting. Experiment with the settings until your sync is okay.
Thanks for this very useful post. I've pushed up the A/V Sync to the maximum 120ms and it's fixed the problem on most of the faulty parts of Disc 9 and Disc 3, apart from the 2x4 section of The Missing Pieces which is still slightly out.
And, like you, I am confused. If (as the player manual says) the A/V Sync function "delays the sound output in relation to the picture output" why doesn't it send the non-faulty parts of the discs out of whack? I'm heartily glad it doesn't but it's a mystery to me...
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

I read online that some sets have been shipped with wrong discs in (two disc 5 in the one I saw), so I thought I'd check mine. All present and correct, but the first time I took out disc 4, the sleeve for that disc fell apart, so the disc now slips out the side and bottom.

Furthermore, there's a big mark on the playing surface of disc 7 and what looks to be glue on the playing surface of disc 8. Ugh. Gutted. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to watch those discs out of sequence to check whether I need to send them back.

Anyone else had any scratched discs on arrival? I guess that's the problem with a set that is so fiddly to put together: those on the production line get sloppy.

Edit: I've also seen on Amazon that they are not doing replacements now, only refunds. That's a bummer.
guildnavigator
RR Diner Member

Post by guildnavigator »

Asterisk wrote: Edit: I've also seen on Amazon that they are not doing replacements now, only refunds. That's a bummer.

Where do you see this information?
Asterisk
Roadhouse Member

Post by Asterisk »

guildnavigator wrote:
Asterisk wrote: Edit: I've also seen on Amazon that they are not doing replacements now, only refunds. That's a bummer.

Where do you see this information?
Here: link
trollmanen

Post by trollmanen »

It's been a awhile since I've posted here, surprised I remembered my password!

I'm having audio sync issues here with a Sony BDP-S570. After seeing about the problems, I thought about waiting to get the box, but after the price dropped on Amazon, I couldn't resist. The first thing I did was put in Disc 9 and test The Missing Scenes, particularly the Bobby and Laura Basement scene, which was really out of sync. I then tried disabling the 1080/24p output on my player, which helped but it's still out of sync, enough to be annoying. I haven't tried any of the other discs yet. The player is up to date. It is an older player, got it about 4 years ago or so. It's a shame since this is the one thing fans have been waiting for, only to have these issues. I hope CBS addresses the situation with replacement discs. Given that's it seems pretty widespread, it appears to be all the discs, with certain players handling the issues better than others, as it doesn't seem logical that only certain discs would have the audio out of sync.
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
FauxOwl wrote:The more I dig into the sync issues the more confused I am by it. I got the second set of discs from Amazon. I put in Disc 9 of the new set and found no sync issues, but then I checked the A/V Sync setting I discovered and found it was set at the same place I set it to fix the original problem. Was the player simply remembering my original changed setting? I checked Disc 3 which some have reported issues with... no issue. I checked Disc 1 of the new set, and Discs 3, 1 and 3 of the old set. No issues. I checked other Blu-Rays discs, no issues. All the while the A/V Sync setting is still where I set it to fix the original sync problem. So somehow setting it to fix the original sync issue permanently fixed it while not causing sync problems with any other discs. Which is all fine and well but it doesn't make it any easier to understand what the original issue is.

When I have more time I may attempt a factory reset of the player and try the new discs again, so I can at least see if there is a sync problem there. But in the mean time, for those with Sony players, it is probably worthwhile to dig around for the A/V Sync option, as this fixed my issue. Again this is how I got there: While the video is playing, hit the "options" button on the remote, arrow up until you find the A/V Sync setting. Experiment with the settings until your sync is okay.
i had posted about this also. I played with mine and thought The Missing Pieces looked fine at about 100 mbps using this A/V sync option.
http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 335#p29873

I'm confused what you mean it "permanently" fixed it? Is the A/V sync option not adjusted to where it was before, thus it's not fixed because you still have to mess with the A/V option to sync the playback?

Changing the A/V Sync setting once fixed the problem on the discs that were out of sync without causing further problems with other discs (as Robin Davies also experienced). It's confusing to me as well because I'd think I'd need to change the sync back on discs with no sync issues, but that hasn't been necessary.
LynchFan1313

Post by LynchFan1313 »

Hi all...I joined this forum just to post this message. I really feel bad for all the TP fans who are having the audio sync issues. I finally made the jump to Blu-Ray from DVD a few months ago when I heard about this set coming out. I pre-ordered the USA version from DVDempire and got it about a week ago. It arrived in excellent condition with no scratched discs or unglued packaging. I watched the first couple discs and was really impressed with the A/V quality. I started to read all the posts about audio sync issues. I went to Ep 9 and watched the 'smoked cheese pig' scene and had no audio issues on 2 channel or surround. I watched The 'Slice of Lynch' extra and had no audio issues. I skimmed through all the FWWM Missing Pieces and watched the whole Bobby/Laura basement scene and had no audio issues on 2 channel or surround. Everything was in sync and looked perfectly normal. I guess I am just lucky. I am running a Sony BDP-S1100 blu ray player via HDMI into a Yamaha RX-V463 A/V system then HDMI into a Samsung 51" PN51E450A1FXZA Plasma TV. I didn't look into my audio settings on my player in any more depth however. I really hope CBS/Paramount steps up and issues replacement discs for those affected. It will be interesting to see if these were badly authored discs or just certain players having playback issues.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Audio sync issues on the missing pieces for me as well (haven't watched the FWWM feature yet). I am using a Sony BDP-S370 player.
stabitandsteer

Post by stabitandsteer »

Bought the German release, and, yes, all there are terrible sync problems on FWWM as well as the additional scenes. It seems to be less problematic on the stereo track than on the 7.1 track, but still noticeable. I haven't yet tried the German audio track...

My player is the Panasonic DMP-BDT220EB.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

Hi - not had any sync issues and I was pausing & rewinding The Missing Pieces scenes a lot where I first watched. Got a Sony Blu Ray player with HD Cable
thegreatnorthern
RR Diner Member

Post by thegreatnorthern »

Has anyone started an affected/suspected blu ray player list thread ..?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

thegreatnorthern wrote:Has anyone started an affected/suspected blu ray player list thread ..?
I believe Jerry was on it.
I have a friend who was having the sync issues, but when he tried on a different TV set it was gone. Same player tho.
dl_fan
Roadhouse Member

Post by dl_fan »

I got the disc set from Amazon (pre-ordered in May, received July 31st), have a Sony BDP-S5200 (bought it in mid-July) connected with HDMI cable to TV (Westinghouse LD-3257DF w/external speakers, TV is around 4 years old). I have watched everything on all 10 discs (everything I could find, anyway), and have watched discs 9 and 10 twice (so far). I have not had any sync issues at all.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I just got to episode nine, the sync issues are really bad here :( The entire scene with Albert and Cooper was especially painful to watch. I did switch my audio to from Bitstream to Downmix and turned off 1024/p and there may be a slight improvement but not enough to fix the issue.