Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoilers

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

Post by Ross »

The "16mm Period Piece" AKA Ben's home movies is REALLY odd, in that its not the same footage as appears at the end of episode 18 (or in the episode). Its like its basically the little trims that WEREN'T shown in the episode, as opposed to the full footage. You can see the jump cuts in it. I wonder why that is?

And for the Picnic video, there are parts shown in the episodes that aren't in the video as well (it freeze frames, but in the episodes it goes longer).
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Ross wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Ross wrote:Wondering why some of the "Previously On" segments are in HD quality when many are not? Did they recreate some and not others? Just wondering.
I think it's the same reason a few bits couldn't be upgraded to HD. The original negatives were missing.
The "Previously On" segments could easily be recreated. Don't know why they didn't do it.
The weird part is that some of them are in HD.
There's gonna be a new pressing to correct the sync issues, they could also recreate the whole thing in HD.
This should be addressed to CBS as well.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

LostInTheMovies wrote:And while we're at it, another visual surprise I recently discovered...

Look very closely at Baby Ben in the hook rug flashback...he's holding a cigar.

Young Ben also smokes a cigar in the 16mm footage (this part of the footage is not shown in either the end credits or the separate video included on the blu ray).
screenshot_02.jpg
screenshot_02.jpg (86.66 KiB) Viewed 12974 times
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
rocketsan22
RR Diner Member

Post by rocketsan22 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: There's gonna be a new pressing to correct the sync issues, they could also recreate the whole thing in HD.
I have seen nothing official about disc being repressed...did I miss something??? Will we be able to exchange our sets for fixed ones?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

rocketsan22 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote: There's gonna be a new pressing to correct the sync issues, they could also recreate the whole thing in HD.
I have seen nothing official about disc being repressed...did I miss something??? Will we be able to exchange our sets for fixed ones?
There's nothing official regarding this, what I meant was if CBS decides to address the issues, they'll have to do a second pressing to correct things and start a replacement program.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I wonder why they didn't include the "Previously On" segment that ran before the 2nd season premiere? Seen here on Dugpas's post (from 0:36 to 1:00).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDZ6yEwfFbI
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Another interesting thing: The Christmas ad, Wizard Of Oz ad, and the Message to the troops are presented in, and must have been filmed in, widescreen. They are not cropped. If you compare then to the ones on the Gold Box, there is the same amount of info top to bottom, with much more info at the sides to fill the widescreen. I'm guessing the episodes themselves weren't filmed that way though, as the "widescreen" images from the episodes that make up the "Atmospherics" are all chopped/cropped to fit the screen. (Which sometime results in some pretty wonky compositions.)

Speaking of the Wizard of Oz ad, is the actual ad online anywhere? (The version here is the raw footage)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

I got a friend going to New York in a few weeks, I think I'll ask him to buy me the set. Is it still for sale in stores? At what price?
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

Ross wrote:Another interesting thing: The Christmas ad, Wizard Of Oz ad, and the Message to the troops are presented in, and must have been filmed in, widescreen. They are not cropped. If you compare then to the ones on the Gold Box, there is the same amount of info top to bottom, with much more info at the sides to fill the widescreen. I'm guessing the episodes themselves weren't filmed that way though, as the "widescreen" images from the episodes that make up the "Atmospherics" are all chopped/cropped to fit the screen. (Which sometime results in some pretty wonky compositions.)

Speaking of the Wizard of Oz ad, is the actual ad online anywhere? (The version here is the raw footage)
You're right. I actually prefer the Christmas promo on the DVD; the colors are much more saturated and warmer and go with the ad better.

And as for the Wizard of Oz ad, I found the broadcast version on my harddrive, I forget where I downloaded it from, but it's really low quality and has a creepy echo lol, but I uploaded it to youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fnbcXigiwg
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

fearltd wrote:
Ross wrote:Another interesting thing: The Christmas ad, Wizard Of Oz ad, and the Message to the troops are presented in, and must have been filmed in, widescreen. They are not cropped. If you compare then to the ones on the Gold Box, there is the same amount of info top to bottom, with much more info at the sides to fill the widescreen. I'm guessing the episodes themselves weren't filmed that way though, as the "widescreen" images from the episodes that make up the "Atmospherics" are all chopped/cropped to fit the screen. (Which sometime results in some pretty wonky compositions.)

You're right. I actually prefer the Christmas promo on the DVD; the colors are much more saturated and warmer and go with the ad better.

And as for the Wizard of Oz ad, I found the broadcast version on my harddrive, I forget where I downloaded it from, but it's really low quality and has a creepy echo lol, but I uploaded it to youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fnbcXigiwg
Yes- the colors on that particular ad look better on the DVD. I was pretty surprised to see that those ads were filmed in widescreen, as I didn't know they did that back then (obviously they were still "composing" for the standard screen). It makes me wonder if the series was shot that way. The Atomospherics images are cropped. But that could be because they were just using the remastered images.

And thanks for posting the Oz ad. I remember seeing it back when it aired, so was kind of surprised when it showed up on the DVD (and now the blu ray) as the footage, and not the actual commercial. Maybe they couldn't find a good copy of the finished ad?
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

Ross wrote: Yes- the colors on that particular ad look better on the DVD. I was pretty surprised to see that those ads were filmed in widescreen, as I didn't know they did that back then (obviously they were still "composing" for the standard screen). It makes me wonder if the series was shot that way. The Atomospherics images are cropped. But that could be because they were just using the remastered images.
I found an old thread on here where dugpa talks about this. I guess maybe it has to do with the promos/series being shot in an "open matte"?

viewtopic.php?t=474
dugpa wrote:I noticed that as well. Too bad the series wasn't shot in 16x9. I remember back in 2000, Artisan did some tests to convert the Series to 16x9 since the Series was originally shot on film. However it didn't work out as early tests revealed lots of boom mics and dollies in the shots.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So I guess they were probably shot with widescreen film, but composed for the standard screen(?) With probably many things (booms, etc) within the widescreen image. There is probably lots of cases where the image could be opened up, but I know that would result in lots of dead space on the sides, and that the image wasn't "composed" that way. I don't know enough about how tv was shot then to know if that was the norm.

Anyway, it seems that in addition to the missing Coffee commercials, SNL skit/monologue, and Falling video, there are 5 commercials that were on the Gold Box not on the new set. (Not a complaint- just an observation)
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Is there any way to pull the great pics from the "image galleries" (such as the ski trip pics) to one's computer? Do you have to do a screen grab?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Ross wrote:Is there any way to pull the great pics from the "image galleries" (such as the ski trip pics) to one's computer? Do you have to do a screen grab?
That's what I did with the rare pics in the Gold Box. I don't have a Blu reader in my notebook, so I'll have to wait until someone does it.
Actually, better yet, my discs have to arrive first lol
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Did anyone notice consistent image glitches during episode 5? The screen looked like it was constantly changing dimension, stretching vertically back and forth. It's very quick but obnoxious. It's practically a frame by frame issue.