"More Things That Happened"

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Red Room
RR Diner Member

"More Things That Happened"

Post by Red Room »

I've just watched this for the second time in as many days, and my head is racing, much like it was after first viewing IE in a cinema several months back...

More Things That Happened is masterpiece - a movie in its' own right. Much, MUCH more than a bunch of outtakes, with deep character exposition set at a more controlled pace than that of its sibling, INLAND EMPIRE.

With an incredible soundtrack that debuts new themes (including what sounds to my ears like a beautiful Badalamenti composition?), this feature should be considered part of Lynch's official filmography rather than mere 'bonus' fodder.

In case you hadn't grasped this - I love it! :-) I'm pretty sure I would love it without IE too. I also find it a little more aesthetically pleasing than the main feature, as "a whole" that is - Sure, IE contains some amazing imagery, but there are one or two slightly clunky moments too. ;-)

It's criminal that this work was left off the official UK release, thus denying the masses an important extension of the IE story! All I can say is thank goodness for multi-region DVD players...

RR
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I haven't bought the R1 DVD yet but I intend to order it asap - I'm just not sure where from. I usually use Amazon Marketplace but they haven't listed it yet. Your post has made me drool!

I'm glad somebody besides me grasps how mad it is to leave More Things That Happened off the UK release. If you point that out to people they say "Buy the R1 DVD" and miss the point completely. Judging by the empty shelf in HMV in York yesterday they sold a decent amount of copies. People may not want to fork out for two copies of the DVD, or have multi region players, or know about the features on the US DVD so they won't get to see More Things...
snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:I haven't bought the R1 DVD yet but I intend to order it asap - I'm just not sure where from. I usually use Amazon Marketplace but they haven't listed it yet. Your post has made me drool!
CD Wow are selling them I think, I found someone on ebay with the R1, although at the moment he only has a few.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:I haven't bought the R1 DVD yet but I intend to order it asap - I'm just not sure where from. I usually use Amazon Marketplace but they haven't listed it yet. Your post has made me drool!

I'm glad somebody besides me grasps how mad it is to leave More Things That Happened off the UK release. If you point that out to people they say "Buy the R1 DVD" and miss the point completely. Judging by the empty shelf in HMV in York yesterday they sold a decent amount of copies. People may not want to fork out for two copies of the DVD, or have multi region players, or know about the features on the US DVD so they won't get to see More Things...

Try www.axelmusic.com. They sent my copy in 5 days! And it only cost a tenner.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

Thanks Snikgrif and Fall_of_Sophia, you're stars. I looked at both sites but in the end I decided to order a copy from CD-Wow because I know they use robust packaging. I'm worried Axel use those plastic bag things. I usually buy DVDs from Caiman via Amazon marketplace but it's not listed on Amazon yet.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:Thanks Snikgrif and Fall_of_Sophia, you're stars. I looked at both sites but in the end I decided to order a copy from CD-Wow because I know they use robust packaging. I'm worried Axel use those plastic bag things. I usually buy DVDs from Caiman via Amazon marketplace but it's not listed on Amazon yet.
Mine came from Axel, as do ALL my Region 1 DVDs, (and I've purchased quite a few of those this year thanks to Mr Lynch)...

Axel are quick, reliable, and low-cost. Orders from them never incur import charges either, as they're posted from within the EU. All my purchases from them have arrived in one piece too.

And no, I don't work for them! ;-)

RR
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

edit
Last edited by Erwin on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

So... back to the topic in-hand.

Any other thoughts re: the "MTTH" film? Surely I'm not alone in thinking this a great Lynch work, (and one that will sadly be lost to the majority of non-US/non multi-region viewers).

RR
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

My DVD arrived today. I still haven't figured out what to watch first: disc 2 or IE. :)
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Celestial Teapot wrote:My DVD arrived today. I still haven't figured out what to watch first: disc 2 or IE. :)
If you've already seen IE, watch "MTTH" first... If not, go with the main feature. That's my view, for what it's worth.

RR
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Last edited by Erwin on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hank_Jennings
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hank_Jennings »

I'm sorry to say this, but I really didn't think much of the More Things That Happened feature. I dunno, I just didn't think it was as great or fascinating as Inland Empire was. Not sure how to explain it, but while watching it, it didn't really keep me hooked.
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

Celestial Teapot wrote:It's more like an alternate take of the entire movie. You know, like on some of those Blue Note jazz reissues.
That's a fair analogy.
Hank_Jennings wrote:I'm sorry to say this, but I really didn't think much of the More Things That Happened feature. I dunno, I just didn't think it was as great or fascinating as Inland Empire was. Not sure how to explain it, but while watching it, it didn't really keep me hooked.
Fair enough, we all see things differently. However to me it was every bit as good as IE, and gave many of the secondary characters a chance to shine through...

RR
doublemain
Roadhouse Member

Post by doublemain »

I didn't even check the time code while watching it, nor at the end, but was it really 90 minutes long ? I mean, it seemed to me lasting 45 minutes. Guess this is good, and we get to hear a longer version of 'Ghost of Love'. The only thing that bothered me a bit was Laura Dern's cut monologue. Not in itself, but, too long.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

doublemain wrote:I didn't even check the time code while watching it, nor at the end, but was it really 90 minutes long ? I mean, it seemed to me lasting 45 minutes. Guess this is good, and we get to hear a longer version of 'Ghost of Love'. The only thing that bothered me a bit was Laura Dern's cut monologue. Not in itself, but, too long.
I think it's 75 minutes overall. I wonder if there was an earlier 90-minute cut that was re-edited.

I notice the total running time of the extras disc is given as 211 minutes on the cover but 190 on the disc itself.