Ron Garcia Interview (American Cinematographer, Sept. 1992)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Ron Garcia Interview (American Cinematographer, Sept. 1992)

Post by Fernanda »

Attachments
1.png
1.png (372.07 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
2.png
2.png (171.13 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
3.png
3.png (145.13 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
4.png
4.png (131.14 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
Last edited by Fernanda on Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Re: Ron Garcia Interview (American Cinematographer, Sept. 19

Post by Fernanda »

(cont.)
Attachments
5.png
5.png (188.39 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
6.png
6.png (140.52 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
7.png
7.png (181.86 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
8.png
8.png (143.66 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
9.png
9.png (162.5 KiB) Viewed 12280 times
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Oh WOW - thanks so much for posting this. Can't wait to read it. I tried to find the article online a while ago and had no luck. Thanks again!
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Thanks again for these, and wanted to bump the thread so others can read it. I'll be making use of this in the video I'm working on tonight.

Also worth checking out: this interview with Ron Garcia on the American Cinematographers podcast: http://www.theasc.com/site/podcasts/twi ... arcia-asc/. Mostly about the pilot but he discusses FWWM too, especially Sheryl Lee's performance. He also says that it took him ten years to actually watch the film because he found it so disturbing!
Book-house-boy

Re: Ron Garcia Interview (American Cinematographer, Sept. 1992)

Post by Book-house-boy »

Thanks so much for posting this!! Can't wait to read it!
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

"It comes from the same place as the music, David" iconic. A hero to the people
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
the woods
Roadhouse Member

Post by the woods »

wow, what a fantastic read...very illuminating article. best fwwm article i have read in a long while.
garcia rocks!
next step: rocket science!
secretlettermkr
RR Diner Member

Post by secretlettermkr »

:shock:

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Thank you! Gonna tuck into this tomorrow for sure.

Bless the internet.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

Thank you for posting, Fernanda! I still keep this magazine to this day. It's one of the best articles on FWWM ever written.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

definitely one of the best and most insightful articles/interviews i've read on FWWM.. since Lynch is famously close-mouthed when it comes to his movies and any thing that can be interpreted it's often more enlighting to read interviews with his close co-workers. for example there's an amazing interview with Fred Elmes about the making of "Eraserhead" and working with Lynch out there that reveals A LOT of great tidbits.

i love the stuff about the high angles representing an angelic presence, that works very well, though it seems that many times these high angles were left on the cutting room floor (and later in "The Missing Pieces") as Lynch decided to focus on intimate close-ups of the actors. Ron Garcia did a marvellous job on "FWWM" and "Twin Peaks: The Pilot". i wonder how the expected weather would have changed the feel of the film - the grey, rainy, coold mood of the Pilot would definitely make for a pretty different film in many regards. as it is now the warm colors help separate FWWM as its own separate entity even more. i was sometimes bothered by how warm and sunny the exteriors became as soon as they started shooting in Los Angeles but somehow this never bothers me in the feature, despite it supposedly being February in the Midwest. i love the coldness of the Pilot though.

Garcia actually started out in the business directing soft-core erotic horror films from what i understand. his "Toy Box" from 1971 is a WEIRD but telling example of why he was the ideal cinematographer for Lynch's FWWM. though low budget i must say i really like the look of this film. NSFW (will probably get deleted by YouTube soon so watch ASAP)

he was also behind the lens for Mark Frost's "Storyville" (man i still need to see this one, how does the DUGPA crowd feel about this film?) and for the three first episodes of "On the Air", again including the Pilot. later he would be the cinematographer on movies like "The Great White Hype" (1996), though since then he mostly worked in television.