*SPOILER ALERT* LET'S TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE!

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

*SPOILER ALERT* LET'S TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE!

Post by Annie »

Now that most of us have at least found one copy of INLAND EMPIRE, let's move past the cover art and start talking about the real story. Any thoughts, opinions, feelings, theories, etc.--all those extras on the DVD--use this thread to get going. The spoiler alert is right in the title, so if you don't want to know, then ignore this thread!!!

It's kind of odd to have to watch this movie on my computer, when I had seen it in a real movie theater, but that's all I have right now. I started out with extras, and so far, I love "Quinoa!" David really needs his own show on the Food Network, but he had better turn on the lights and get rid of the cigarettes in the kitchen! I wonder if that's the kind of food they serve at Maharishi University. Looked interesting until he put that liquid amino acid in it; will have to go to the local Whole Foods and see if I can find Quinoa--we'll see if David's recipe is the official one...okay, just took a break and gotta go watch more...

To buy some time, you have some wine! Cheers!
Last edited by Annie on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

For me, and with no hesitation, it's his greatest work. Astonishing breadth of imagination, and his delving into and use of religious symbolism is nothing short of breathtaking. A major achievement, and all those who moan that it means nothing can blow it out their arses!! :lol:
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

I liked it,.....but I believe all the red curtains are for us Peaks fans.

Loved the cameos.

Loved the Art Direction(s).

Loved the Lynch cameo the best.....

-----

I did NOT like the jerk in the frames(like it was converted to NTSC from PAL).

I did NOT like the multiple Peakness(I was starting to wonder if Laura Dern was the original Palmer,and this was somehow related to all that(Blonde,Grace Z,freaky lightshows).

Granted,I love Lynch,but the jerkiness of the frames(when movement or pans were shown).......just about made me mad.

I rented it,prob will buy it.......but man.....3 hours of frame jerk was about too much.

But the Rabbits made me watch........and enjoy it..... :twisted:
DayLight

Post by DayLight »

Did anyone else get pissed off that he plugged his coffee in the middle of the film?
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

TravisD i did not notice frame jerk motions that were worse than what you would normally expect from a 3 hour film on a single disc, it might also be your dvd player.
sstroud

Re: ...

Post by sstroud »

eyeboogers wrote:TravisD i did not notice frame jerk motions that were worse than what you would normally expect from a 3 hour film on a single disc, it might also be your dvd player.
I think Travis may be referring to the shaky handheld camera action? I came to grips with the DV long ago but still dream about how this movie could have looked if shot on beautiful film. I realize it probably never would have happened if it had to be shot on film but, still...

Just let me dream.
TravisD

Post by TravisD »

No no,I get the shakey cam....

It's the framerate......and here's my theory(unless someone else who has the whole package and it states otherwise)..

DV,is interlaced.........this DVD is progressive.

DV peep tend to shoot in PAL,because it uses a framerate close to film(25/24 vs NTSC's 30/24).

PAL also uses a higher res(720x540 vs 720x480).

IMHO,I bet the PAL version is superior in this regard.

I'm nit picking peep.......I loved it...,....but
it's def not HDTV friendly...

BTW,I use a HTPC on a Sony 61' SXRD.... :wink:
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

Yeah I'm interested in discussing the actual plot/character inner workings of the film too! Anyone else wanna dive in?

Let's start here:

Media Existing Within The Movie

Axxon N - Radio Show
Rabbits - Television Show
On High For Blue Tomorrows - Movie
Inland Empire - The events of the entire movie as viewed by the crying woman

any others?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Thanks AllThisPaperwork! I really hoped we'd get more discussions going. I like the idea of all the "media inside the movie;" what about adding the original movie where the two lead stars were killed?

(I still need to watch it over again. That's a lot of film to cover.)

I have a question--was "On High For Blue Tomorrows" finished?
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

The crying woman locked in hotel room is Nikki/Sue. Laura Dern in her many guises is an emanation.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

For media within the movie, there's also the Marilyn Levens chat show
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

What's the original Polish title of the film? Do they say that at the table read meeting?

It seems like "On High For Blue Tomorrows" changes a lot. When it starts it seems like it's a southern period piece but by the end, when we see them film Dern's death on the sidewalk, it feels like a completely different movie.

I'm wondering if it's possible to determine, scene by scene, what's definitely part of "On High For Blue Tomorrows"
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Post by motoko »

Vier Sieben----translates to 4-7----At least that is what Kingsly states based on Freddy's info
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

That's what I thought, but has anybody figured out if there is a significance to 47?

I think it would take a lot of work to figure out which parts were really the movie, "On High For Blue Tomorrows." Because if Nikki IS the movie star at the beginning, I don't think it would be her that died on the street in Hollywood. I realize that's oversimplifying. I can't keep track of all the changes that take place in this movie.

Did anybody else notice John Neff's name in the credits? I thought he didn't take part in this one. And I thought the coffee plug was funny.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Did anybody else notice John Neff's name in the credits? I thought he didn't take part in this one.
According to the Halfcut Publications interview, he was involved in the filming of Laura Dern's monologue which was one of the first things shot for the film, and then the Polish scenes. He wasn't around for the later stuff with Jeremy Irons AFAIK.[/quote]