lynch 2 question?

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

lynch 2 question?

Post by marchug »

one of the bonus features on inland empire is called 'Lynch 2 (behind the scenes of INLAND EMPIRE with David Lynch)'. what and where is Lynch 1? is it what was on the room to dream dvd?
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Lynch 1 is the full length documentary that is to be released theatrically shortly.

Seehttp://www.lynchdocumentary.com/ for more info.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Is anyone else slightly surprised by how bad-tempered Lynch is in this documentary (and also in Room To Dream and the trailer for Lynch 1)? After years of hearing everyone say how much fun it was working for him and how he never lost his temper it seems a bit weird to see him... well, lose his temper! Dennis Hopper's comment that he never uses the f-word is a thing of the past too. There was also Lynch's curious comment in Stories that he didn't like his sound man.
Is Lynch becoming grumpier with age? Or is this just the first honest documentary of the man at work that we've seen? I suppose directing is such a demanding job that they must all lose their rag at some point...
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

I had the same thoughts too. And on Quinoa he actually scared me...definitely a different side than we've been shown before, which is cool. (For the record Lynch differed w/ Hopper's statement about the f-word.)
AllThisPaperwork

Post by AllThisPaperwork »

I was super surprised about how energetic, frenized, and spry he is while being creative. It was beautiful to see! I don't think he's ever being particularly bad tempered in the doc. Just seems like he's all whipped up with creative energy.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

harmolodic wrote:I had the same thoughts too. And on Quinoa he actually scared me...definitely a different side than we've been shown before, which is cool. (For the record Lynch differed w/ Hopper's statement about the f-word.)
What scared you in Quinoa?
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

AllThisPaperwork wrote:It was beautiful to see! I don't think he's ever being particularly bad tempered in the doc. Just seems like he's all whipped up with creative energy.
I totally agree - he's simply focused and driven, not at all "bad tempered".
Robin Davies wrote:There was also Lynch's curious comment in Stories that he didn't like his sound man...
I think this was a joke.

RR
doublemain
Roadhouse Member

Post by doublemain »

I wonder if Lynch 2 is merely composed of extracts from Lynch 1, or both are complementary ?
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

doublemain wrote:I wonder if Lynch 2 is merely composed of extracts from Lynch 1, or both are complementary ?
I liked Lynch 2 but hope Lynch 1 flows more... isn't as choppy. This seemed like just a collection of scenes. I'd like more from Lynch 1.
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

twin-b wrote:
harmolodic wrote:I had the same thoughts too. And on Quinoa he actually scared me...definitely a different side than we've been shown before, which is cool. (For the record Lynch differed w/ Hopper's statement about the f-word.)
When he's outside in the dark, telling that story...the suddenly barking "What time is it??" Then flicking his hands like Leland or some other compulsive character...creepy.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

harmolodic wrote:
twin-b wrote:
When he's outside in the dark, telling that story...the suddenly barking "What time is it??" Then flicking his hands like Leland or some other compulsive character...creepy.
Yeah, creepy. I loved it! The sound effects really made it. The story was fabulous. I could really imagine David filming that scene with the train stopping and them wandering into the dust-filled desert air and then sand/haze slowly clearing to reveal this gypsy selling colorful sugar water. Amazing stuff.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

Any thoughts on the portion of Lynch 2 where something David is saying is bleeped (actually birds chirping sound)? He's talking to William H. Macy and is describing Diane Ladd's role and says something like, "there's this host and she's ____________, and you'll be the announcer..." Wonder what he said and why it was bleeped. My guess is that perhaps he said "she's a real bitch." ???
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

I just watched the end of this last night. My guess on the bird sounds is the same as why when he's explaining Laura's motivations to her he actually whispers part of it: he doesn't want to give anything away thematically. The documentary is supposed to show Lynch working but NOT explaining parts of the film.

I don't think he'd self-censor describing her as a bitch...I think it's more like "she's imaginary" or something crazy like that. After all, Lynch has no problem yelling at Laura "You'll shoot yourself in the crotch!" or dropping the f-bomb or telling that poor kid "Are you taking drugs? Are you on drugs here? I'll get you meditating later..."

Wonder what THAT was about!!?

Can't wait for Lynch 1.
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Post by twin-b »

harmolodic wrote:I just watched the end of this last night. My guess on the bird sounds is the same as why when he's explaining Laura's motivations to her he actually whispers part of it: he doesn't want to give anything away thematically. The documentary is supposed to show Lynch working but NOT explaining parts of the film.

I don't think he'd self-censor describing her as a bitch...I think it's more like "she's imaginary" or something crazy like that. After all, Lynch has no problem yelling at Laura "You'll shoot yourself in the crotch!" or dropping the f-bomb or telling that poor kid "Are you taking drugs? Are you on drugs here? I'll get you meditating later..."

Wonder what THAT was about!!?

Can't wait for Lynch 1.
Good points, harmolodic. I guess I was thinking that maybe there was concern that his description of the character might be confused with Diane, the person, so they censored it. Either way, it reminded me of the censoring of Uma's character's name in Kill Bill. :)