Inland Empire Easter Egg

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Inland Empire Easter Egg

Post by counterpaul »

Weird, I think I might be the first to have found this (I did search first but sorry in advance if I'm repeating something known).

There is an Easter Egg on the R1 IE DVD. It's on disc 1. If you're playing the disc on a computer, navigate to the Languages and Sound menu and hover the mouse over the bright blast emanating from the gun and you'll see a rabbit symbol. Click on that.

If you're using a DVD player, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the rabbit symbol (I tried every direction with every option selected). But you can still get to the scene. It's Title 2 on the disc so just start the feature and then navigate to title 2 with your remote (this will work a bit differently with different DVD players -- on mine you hit search and then you can pick the title number -- YMMV).

If you want to be surprised, don't read further...

SPOILER

It's another scene from the Monologue, lasting about 2 and half minutes. Here she tells a story of a one-legged young girl who violently escapes a juvenile detention facility. As usual, an impressive and nuanced performance from Dern.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Thanks for pointing this out! :D

I got an email from Amazon telling me that IE had been dispatched, but it'll probably take a week or two to get to the UK.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Darn you amazon, mine still hasn't shipped, guess that's what i get for ordering the expedited shipping.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Post by Erwin »

Further off topic, but does anybody know if there is a difference in packaging materials used for standard and expedited Amazon shipments? When ordering digipacks and boxsets like the up comming Twin Peaks set I prefer quality over cost and speed.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Celestial Teapot wrote:Further off topic, but does anybody know if there is a difference in packaging materials used for standard and expedited Amazon shipments? When ordering digipacks and boxsets like the up comming Twin Peaks set I prefer quality over cost and speed.
Amazon ships in the same kind of box no matter what speed of shipping you choose. Most of the times, the dvd is vacuum sealed onto a piece of cardboard and place inside a large-ish box.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I've heard about these easter eggs before. Thanks for the details, counterpaul! But what does it mean really to have an easter egg in a movie--is this strictly a Lynch thing?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

Annie wrote:I've heard about these easter eggs before. Thanks for the details, counterpaul! But what does it mean really to have an easter egg in a movie--is this strictly a Lynch thing?
Easter Eggs can be found on all kinds of things. It just means there's some sort of hidden bonus for fans who really pay attention. Sometimes an Easter Egg is hidden a inside the main part of movie (for example - E.T. appearing in "The Phantom Menace") - but in most cases when you hear about DVD Easter Eggs, it means there's an extra bonus feature hidden somewhere on the disc.

For example, the Twin Peaks Season One DVD set is full of Easter Eggs - you can find a brief video clip of each director doing their audio commentary, there's a hidden trailer for a fan-made film starring Michael Anderson and there's also a hidden file which gives you a code that members can use on DavidLynch.com to uncover a short TP-related Flash animation.
motoko
Roadhouse Member

Post by motoko »

Anyone found any others? I haven't been able to.
Erwin
Roadhouse Member

Re: Inland Empire Easter Egg

Post by Erwin »

counterpaul wrote: If you're using a DVD player, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the rabbit symbol (I tried every direction with every option selected). But you can still get to the scene. It's Title 2 on the disc so just start the feature and then navigate to title 2 with your remote (this will work a bit differently with different DVD players -- on mine you hit search and then you can pick the title number -- YMMV).
Title 2? If you mean chapter 2, it's not. So is there a way to reach it on my Philips DVD player? :?:
twin-b
Roadhouse Member

Re: Inland Empire Easter Egg

Post by twin-b »

Celestial Teapot wrote:
counterpaul wrote: If you're using a DVD player, there doesn't seem to be a way to get to the rabbit symbol (I tried every direction with every option selected). But you can still get to the scene. It's Title 2 on the disc so just start the feature and then navigate to title 2 with your remote (this will work a bit differently with different DVD players -- on mine you hit search and then you can pick the title number -- YMMV).
Title 2? If you mean chapter 2, it's not. So is there a way to reach it on my Philips DVD player? :?:
On the "Languages and Sound" screen, navigate to the right from "standard" to "widescreen" to "off". With "off" highlighted, push up on your remote twice, then to the right once. Instead of it moving to "sound" it will move to the rabbit in the top-right.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

I paid for priority shipping for my Amazon.com order and the packaging it arrived in was useless. The DVDs were rattling around in a big bix with a couple of bags filled with air. IE was okay (until I tried removing the security stickers which tore the inlay card) but another DVD in the same order had come loose in transit and was covered in scratches.
adamus

Post by adamus »

Has anyone found any easter eggs on the region 2 dvd yet?