Part 4 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: Laura is the One

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Part 4 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: Laura is the One

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Here is the complete line-up for Part 4 of Journey Through Twin Peaks, covering Fire Walk With me and the "afterlife" of Twin Peaks

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... laura.html

I've also created a post with all the composite images from these videos, be they split-screens, superimpositions, or quotes:

http://thedancingimage.blogspot.com/201 ... peaks.html

updated 2/4

Original message:

After a longer-than-expected delay (isn't that always the case) 3 new videos are finally ready for Pt. 4. As before, I will update this post (as well as add new posts) when further entries go up. When everything is complete and organized I'll start one final Journey Through Twin Peaks thread to share stuff like a trailer, an organized post, etc etc.

Chapter 23: Not-So-Special Agents (The FBI, Teresa Banks, Cooper & the Ring)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST0V7d4sZsk

Chapter 24: The Spirit World (Deer Meadow, Twin Peaks & "Another Place")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkKgIxMDeBw

Chapter 25: The Last 7 Days of Laura Palmer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FxAUALh1OA

Still to come, a chapter on the train car (including the elements Lynch added while shooting the film), and wrap-up chapters on TP addenda (Log Lady intros, other stuff, and of course Missing Pieces - at least that's what's planned), the impact of TP on Lynch's later work, and final thoughts on the series with a concluding passage I think you all will enjoy.

Oh and if anyone knows how to contact MK2 other than the French phone #'s on their site, do tell. Just when things were settled w/ CBS, apparently FWWM has a DIFFERENT copyright holder and I had to dispute their claims on YouTube. :/

Just want this series to make it to the end in one piece...
Last edited by LostInTheMovies on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Re: Part 4 of Journey Through Twin Peaks: Laura is the One

Post by Jasper »

I've watched each of these three episodes twice. More great work.

I encourage everyone to watch the entire ongoing series from the beginning.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

The only tragedy of The Entire Mystery set (aside from the loss of the Season 1 audio commentaries - I'll have to go digging through my dad's basement for the old box set) is that this series is not on it. It's right up there with the Criterion Collection's current trend of similar video essays on their various releases.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Thanks, guys! It's really gratifying to hear back from people who are enjoying them. I hope that MK2 agrees... :/
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Laura in the train car. My longest video yet, even though the scene itself is not very long! In some ways, this might be my favorite from the series. It explores my theory about what happens there and why it matters, investigating the angels, the ring, Hindu philosophy, the character of Ronette, Sheryl Lee's performance, the scripted scene, and the making of the film. And of course ends in the Red Room with Cooper and I quote one of the more poetic interpretations of the final images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyJE3ybBJBo

I really love this chapter and think it might be my favorite of the series. If you are Canadian, unfortunately, you may have trouble viewing it as the "Requiem" track triggered a block in that country.

By the way, Hussein Ibish's entire essay is here: http://ibishblog.com/2010/01/24/relatio ... e_walk_me/. It's a wonderful read.
harmolodic
Roadhouse Member

Post by harmolodic »

I wish there was more textual evidence for his reading of the end of FWWM--that it ends, as it opened, with a television--but there's not. This is not Inland Empire. But I do agree with his central point that FWWM marks the pivot from early Lynch to the mature Lynch.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

harmolodic wrote:I wish there was more textual evidence for his reading of the end of FWWM--that it ends, as it opened, with a television--but there's not. This is not Inland Empire.
I love his idea, but I take it more as a poetic conceit than a literal one. With Lynch, so much of the imagery is ambiguous that you can take it as you like.

That said, watching it this time I did notice how well it plays that wayl! The blue light, the flickering, the fact that she's looking offscreen. Again I'd be pretty surprised if Lynch ACTUALLY had this in mind. But I like how it offers closure not just to Laura and Cooper, but also the town/show of Twin Peaks.
But I do agree with his central point that FWWM marks the pivot from early Lynch to the mature Lynch.
Yes, definitely. That's going to be one of the themes of my next video, although actually I see the process beginning with Twin Peaks itself. I think the "negative" things about Lynch's Twin Peaks experience - the creative differences with Frost and the pressures of the network, TV audience, and fickle critics - actually strengthened and matured his work as a filmmaker.

Certainly if he had gotten his way and Laura's mystery had just gone on and on we would have gotten a more consistent show but I frankly don't think it would have been as powerful in the end. 14, 29, and FWWM are for me the milestones of Twin Peaks and the gateways into Lynch's later films.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Laura in the train car. My longest video yet, even though the scene itself is not very long! In some ways, this might be my favorite from the series. It explores my theory about what happens there and why it matters, investigating the angels, the ring, Hindu philosophy, the character of Ronette, Sheryl Lee's performance, the scripted scene, and the making of the film. And of course ends in the Red Room with Cooper and I quote one of the more poetic interpretations of the final images.

Good stuff. I plan to watch it a second time. Of course there's that issue of Gerard/MIKE opening the train car along with Ronette. I know we SEE it, but it may be a little odd not to mention it in such a detailed analysis. Maybe you could add one of those popup windows or something.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Jasper wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Laura in the train car. My longest video yet, even though the scene itself is not very long! In some ways, this might be my favorite from the series. It explores my theory about what happens there and why it matters, investigating the angels, the ring, Hindu philosophy, the character of Ronette, Sheryl Lee's performance, the scripted scene, and the making of the film. And of course ends in the Red Room with Cooper and I quote one of the more poetic interpretations of the final images.

Good stuff. I plan to watch it a second time. Of course there's that issue of Gerard/MIKE opening the train car along with Ronette. I know we SEE it, but it may be a little odd not to mention it in such a detailed analysis. Maybe you could add one of those popup windows or something.
There ended up being a lot of stuff I couldn't completely include!

But I think for me the most important part is Ronette's part in opening it - because we already know Mike is ready and waiting to help open it. His ingredient is there but what needs to be added is Ronette being freed to open it from the other side...if that makes sense. So while I probably could have presented it more clearly in the ending, the idea that Mike is there to help open the door is sort of established in "the ring" section when I mention he is locked out by Bob (and also in the other videos where I note how he is trying to get her to take the ring throughout the film).

Plus to be perfectly honest, I only noticed that Mike was helping Ronette after the narration was recorded! Had I noticed before, it might have been better woven-into the narration.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Another thought occurs to me: obviously Mike has trouble opening the door because he only has one arm! On a literal level, but also probably some metaphysical level I don't entirely understand yet. Thus Ronette collaborating with him to get it open may have symbolic significance for Mike as well as for Laura, leading somehow to his Phillip's "reunion" with the Little Man in the Red Room (where Leland/Bob divide while Mike/Phillip unite).

Partly this depends on whatever Mike's cosmic significance is, which - as per about a million discussions on these threads! - remains somewhat ambiguous as opposed to Bob. I will be really curious to see where they go with any Mike stuff in 2016. And of course how they deal with Bob not being around (I don't think they will recast Frank Silva, that's not Lynch's style - Donna is a different story).
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

By writing Phillip and not Gerard, you've made me notice the similarity of the names Phillip Gerard and Phillip Jeffries. It's probably been mentioned many times, but it's weird. Not that it means anything, but Twin Peaks does love doubling.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

The Missing Pieces! and more

Dugpa residents will be happy to know I did end up delving in to the Missing Pieces. It forms about half of the new video, which also covers the Log Lady intros, Mark Frost after Twin Peaks, and VERY brief asides on the Booth 9 video, Between Two Worlds, and the 2016 promo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC_z6dI5m-0

Obviously there's a hell of a lot more that could be said about the Pieces, and a lot of cool stuff didn't make it in (including Laura's smile under the fan - which, to be fair, was already briefly glimpsed in my montage before the killer's reveal). I focused mostly on how they intersect with the other parts of Twin Peaks, particularly the film they were originally cut from. I will leave the analysis of what all the crazy details (the nurse with the ring, Jeffries, the convenience store lines, etc) for some future Part 5, to be hypothetically made after the Showtime series airs.

I did have a little bit about the nurse's ring which I cut out because it didn't really seem necessary to address and the video was already pushing 10 minutes (believe it or not, Journey Through Twin Peaks has its own missing pieces...). But if you're curious, what I find interesting is that, as in Laura's dream, the ring accompanies a message - well, actually, the same message - from "beyond," probably from Mike. I know there have been theories the nurse will be Bob's next victim but I'm going to go out on a limb now and say we see her in 2016, either alive and well or only very recently deceased. Probably the former, and I think she will be linked with Mike, maybe as a host. Though I hope that doesn't mean Phillip Gerard isn't around too. There have already been hints that spirits can inhabit or at least interact with more than one person (Bob torments Laura independently of her father) - wouldn't it be interesting if the series showed us two Mikes interacting? It would certainly be in keeping with Lynch's later films. Speaking of which...

The "David Lynch's Films" section was sliced off into its own chapter since this chapter is already long enough. Hopefully it will be up in the morning.

And then there's one final coda chapter to do. Almost done...
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Here is Chapter 27, mostly covering Lynch's later films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAG5FHHT9OY
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

"Always... a pleasure." - Ben Horne

Phenomenal documentary!
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

OK,Bob wrote:"Always... a pleasure." - Ben Horne

Phenomenal documentary!
Thanks! Working on the final entry now. The opening sequence is going to be a lot of fun, I think. At least it is for me, making it...