Blue Velvet turns 21

Discussion of Blue Velvet

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Annie
Global Moderator

Blue Velvet turns 21

Post by Annie »

I saved an article from the New York Times online (which anyone can join for free) about the 20th anniversary of Blue Velvet last year. It originally opened September 18, 1986.

If you join NYtimes.com, you can look up http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/26/movie ... 58d5a59442...

Believe me, it's worth it!
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

Where were you on 9/18/86? I think I first saw BV on VHS. I became familiar with DL's work on Twin Peaks and wanted to see what else he had done. Wow!
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I'm afraid to say I had to see it on VHS, too. But I learned about David Lynch from Dune, and regardless of everyone else's opinions, it was all David Lynch after that (plus I read and continue to read everything Dune.)
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

How do you think Lynch's Dune stacks up against the SciFi Channel version? I love Lynch's vision of it. IMHO he had a much tougher job as he had a time constraint and the F/X were more challenging back then as opposed to the SciFi production.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Well, if our off-topic section were working right, I'd say we should go there to discuss this, but it's not... I really hated the SciFi version. I was totally biased after seeing DL's Dune. And although I know he hates even thinking about it now, it was still a great movie and what got me started on Lynch. Somebody (I think John Neff) once told me that David's version of Dune was influenced by Jules Verne, and I think that was what Frank Herbert had in mind. I still go to the Dune message boards, and the entire Herbert family liked the movie a lot.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

You mean the Herbert family liked DL's version?

As for Jules Verne, why not? It's a fantasy film, sci fi doesn't always mean "science" based fiction, although it can.
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

Yes, the Herbert family liked DL's movie a lot. I said somewhere that the family has been approached again for a movie, but now there are like 14 books, including all the prequels, etc., so I'm not sure how long a time period it would cover. They haven't said yes, either.
New Shoes

Post by New Shoes »

One of Lynchs best movies if you ask me.

"Heineken!!??? FUCK THAT SHIT!! Pabst Blue Ribbon!!" - now that's a classic 8)
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

What's funny is that I won a 6 pk of PBR at a showing of Blue Velvet. We have an art house theater that does all kinds of special events. They were showing Blue Velvet and I took a friend to intro her to the Lynch-verse. There was a trivia contest just before the movie and I won the beer! They also gave away a 6 pk of Heinken but I let someone else answer the question.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
Hawk

Post by Hawk »

what about Budweiser

"My dad drinks Bud."

"The King of Beers."
You're on the path. You don't need to know where it leads. Just follow.
sloclub
RR Diner Member

Post by sloclub »

Hawk wrote:what about Budweiser

"My dad drinks Bud."

"The King of Beers."
You are absolutely correct sir. Nice name btw. Hawk was the coolest character on TP.
Through the darkness of futures past,
the magician longs to see
One chants out,
between two worlds,
fire walk with me.
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

Annie wrote:Well, if our off-topic section were working right, I'd say we should go there to discuss this, but it's not... I really hated the SciFi version. I was totally biased after seeing DL's Dune. And although I know he hates even thinking about it now, it was still a great movie and what got me started on Lynch. Somebody (I think John Neff) once told me that David's version of Dune was influenced by Jules Verne, and I think that was what Frank Herbert had in mind. I still go to the Dune message boards, and the entire Herbert family liked the movie a lot.
Maybe there should be a forum here just for Dune, as there is for his other films? I have a few things to say about it, but won't now. I'm sure to make some enemies if I do. :twisted: I was a HUGE fan of the books, anxiously waiting on each new installment, so was bound to be disappointed by any film version.
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
Dantalian

Post by Dantalian »

sloclub wrote:Where were you on 9/18/86? I think I first saw BV on VHS. I became familiar with DL's work on Twin Peaks and wanted to see what else he had done. Wow!
I was sitting in the theatre watching Blue Velvet, although probably not opening day. I had become a David Lynch fan from going to see Eraserhead midnight showings and later Elephant Man.

Here's a 45 I have of Roy Orbison's In Dreams that was co-produced by David Lynch for Orbison's Greatest Hits album in 1987. For me, one of the funniest scenes in the film.

Last edited by Dantalian on Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wallydanger
Roadhouse Member

Post by wallydanger »

Wow! That's some cover!

Thanks for scanning and posting it. It's certainly a high quality image, and in mint condition. I wonder if Lynch had anything to do with the photography and design?
"Do you see creamed corn on that plate?"
> Enter The Lodge
D0ppelgangerDale
Roadhouse Member

Post by D0ppelgangerDale »

I watched Blue Velvet for the first time a few days ago, and I enjoyed it. I think Jeffrey (Kyle) is the only one who doesn't realize that he's in way over his head. On a certain level, I think he knows it, too, but his fascination with the sordid, deviant underworld that he has just unearthed compels him to carry on his investigation and his relationship with Dorothy (Isabella). On top of the revelation that darkness can be lurking beneath an ostensibly idyllic exterior, I think what makes the film successful is the mounting tension. The audience knows that things are going to take a turn for the worse sooner or later. Good film.